Meet "Toby" my 50 Model 51 project

Elpad

This is my next project after finishing The 54 72R that took me 4 years to build. God only knows how long this one will take but it needs a lot of work specially sheet metal work. Don't know much background on this car other than The car was acquired at a local auction in Florida and traces back to Ohio. It has an old BCA sticker so if the previous owner or someone else in the forum recognizes the car, please let me know 

Al

IMG_0340.JPG

Edited by Elpad
Spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Man the brightwork looks pretty good. 

By the way, that black steering wheel I told you I might have, the one I've been thinking it was black for 15 years, after I cleaned it up turned out to be dark blue. DARK blue.  Rita and I both thought it was black until I put it up against something black and it turned blue,  i'll get you some pictures if still interested.  Or I know, maybe you can paint the interior blue. DARK blue??

Missed the post. thinking about an original daily driver but that is what a said about the 54 and went a little further than that. Miriam think I'm crazy to start all over again but what the heck! I enjoy hitting my knuckles. Will see how far I go with "Tubby" perhaps I got to ask "little Lulu"

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the engine cranked for few minutes, next will remove fuel tank to see condition, replace fuel and brake lines and send the master cylinder to be re-sleeved.

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Again, took this long to get to the other wheel... just too busy living. Taking the master cyl off to be sent out for refurbish. New brake lines from "in line tube" arrived have not open the box, does working on the car with a 50's drop light adds to the value of a vintage restoration? Even thought it sparked at times and got real hot this thing still works even without a ground connection!

IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2151.JPG

• Like 3

I have a similar drop light from my dad.  Two lousy issues with it - the thing gives off a lot of heat, and the bulb goes bad at the slightest bump.

Nice 50 by the way.  I worked on a got to drive a 50 model 52 for a friend, and really came to love the car.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fr. Buick said:

I have a similar drop light from my dad.  Two lousy issues with it - the thing gives off a lot of heat, and the bulb goes bad at the slightest bump.

Nice 50 by the way.  I worked on a got to drive a 50 model 52 for a friend, and really came to love the car.

Way until the 80' you could buy anti-shock replacement bulbs but I remember, they too went bad....oh boy...I knew I was getting old but not so fast.

Try replacing the bulb with one of those CFL ones (you know the curly ones). 

Yes they take a minute to warm up bright but they take a drop much better than the element type bulbs. Cut down my replacing them about 80%.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well back at it for couple of hours. Master cyl did not need re-sleeving clean up and install new kit lets see how it will hold. Cleaning up brake pedal parts, shaft brackets were a ball of grease now I can see some numbers. Still waiting for duplicate brake lines from In Line Tube for install. New floor metal panels, toe boards and rocker panels are in for near future task. Toby wants to be resurrected

IMG_2169.JPG

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2325.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

IMG_2327.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2331.JPG

IMG_2332.JPG

IMG_2333.JPG

IMG_2334.JPG

• Like 2

A tip for when you're putting a new brake pedal pad on...they don't just slip on. I heated mine up in the microwave at increments of like 10-15 secs at a time to get it pliable and stretchy enough to get over the metal pedal. I wish I could figure out how they got that brake pedal grommet over the shaft. I got a new one and removed the shaft from the pivot, where the alignment marks are, and there was no way it was sliding up the shaft to where it belongs...could be that repops are wrong size, or perhaps like the pedal pad, they're slid on while warm and stretchy and allowed to cool and shrink back to the right size?

• 2 weeks later...

Also the fuel tank is off. The tank was empty and took the sender unit to inspect. All I see is varnish residue. Does anyone knows about a cleaner to remove or can I use as is with fresh gas?

IMG_2420.JPG

• Like 1

Found these stamps on the drivers side toe board acces panel. Was Buick making right hand driven cars for export back in the days! Can this be a plate that when inverted could be used on the right side?

just curious and puzzled about RHD and LHD

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

• Like 1

Either someone ran out of stickers or was too lazy to peel off and put a new one.

wondering what what's the difference between a Super Lube, Special Lube and a Dyna Lube back in the 70's? 

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

• Like 1

Just now, Elpad said:

Either someone ran out of stickers or was too lazy to peel off and put a new one.

wondering what what's the difference between a Super Lube, Special Lube and a Dyna Lube back in the 70's? 

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

I forgot to mention Sun Lube from Sunoco Station.... Probably a basic oil change!

On ‎5‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:16 AM, Elpad said:

Found these stamps on the drivers side toe board acces panel. Was Buick making right hand driven cars for export back in the days! Can this be a plate that when inverted could be used on the right side?

just curious and puzzled about RHD and LHD

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

Yes to both questions.