My 65 Skylark GS

Guest Winger65

Guest Winger65

Greetings Buick Fans!.  My name is Steve Reed and I live just north of Baltimore MD.  I am originally from Evansville Indiana where my father purchased his 1965 Skylark GS new off of the show room floor back in 1965.  My father drove it every day and I literally grew up in the car.  I still remember the day I put a scratch on the glove box door with my fishing pole when I was 8 years old.  it took my dad a week to find the scratch -  but man when he did!  I still remember to this day the "stern talking to" I received.  I eventually purchased the car from him in 1988.  It became my daily driver and I drove it every day until 1990 when I had a small fender bender with it.  I have had it in storage in a barn ever since (first in Indiana and now in MD).  I am finally at a point in my life where I am ready to really find out how much I don't know about restoring a classic muscle car.  it is all stock and I was able to take a tour of Automotive Machine and Performance in Philpot KY several years back.  I was very impressed with their facility and I think I will utilize them for the engine work if they are still in the business of rebuilding nailheads.  I really love this old car and would like to begin dialogue with anyone who would be able to give this 50 year old some pointers on where to start.  attached a pic of what the car looked like back in 1989.  

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Sincerely, Steve Reed

Forest Hill, MD.

buick GS.JPG

Steve - nice car and great story.  Welcome to the Buick universe on the Interweb!  I love seeing cars handed-down within the family of the original owner.  My '56 Chevy was purchased new by my grandparents and came to me on my 15th birthday, after about 10 years of persistent hounding on my part...  ^_^

• Like 1

Hey Steve. Great car! What does it look like today? Does it run? Do you have any teceipts for prior repairs?  

You car may need a thorough rebuild or just some refurbishment.  Only way we can tell is if you volunteer some more information. 

I used to have a 66 Gran Sport but foolishly sold it when a thousand bucks sounded better than the pile of rust. Sure wish I could relive that decision. 

Is yours a stick shift or automatic? What factory options does it have?

Hi Steve. 

great story and you did indeed find a great shop.  Unfortunately AMP closed up last year.  I was Mike's customer that dyno'd 3 nailheads at his shop, and provided him with the nailhead headers he used on the dyno.  Now you are on the east coast, Tom Telesco is the nailhead man out there.

That or "Then and Now" in Georgia has a good nailhead builder close by.

Ted 513 608-5032

Guest Winger65

Buick.jpgThank you for the feedback!.  Really sorry

Thank you so much for the feedback!  Sorry to hear about AMP.  I actually saw their dynamometer when I toured their shop.  I daydreamed for years that someday my 401 would be sitting in that room :-(  

Here are the answers to JohnD1956's questions:

1) What does it look like today? Attached pic taken last year.  I removed the blue hood from a 65 skylark and used it to replace the dented one from my accident. The original hood ornament survived and shines proudly today.

2) Does it run? It did before i put away for storage.  I drove it around the neighborhood.

3) Do you have any teceipts for prior repairs?  No

4) Is yours a stick shift or automatic? Auto super turbine 300

5) What factory options does it have? factory tack, power steering.

Tom Telesco sounds like a great resource.  Would you have his contact information?  Also looking for someone who would do the body work.  I have not been able to find anyone here interested. I need to start attending more car shows :-)   Thanks again so much!  

On 12/27/2016 at 6:53 PM, Winger65 said:

Tom Telesco sounds like a great resource.  Would you have his contact information?  Also looking for someone who would do the body work.  I have not been able to find anyone here interested. I need to start attending more car shows :-)   Thanks again so much!  

Welcome to the Forum Steve.

Best to call and speak with Tom on phone. His board name here and at V8Buick is Telriv. Too many questions and answers will be exchanged to type in email. Tom has been a tremendous help to me.

Also spend some time over at V8Buick.com in the nailhead forum and others.

As far as selecting a body shop there have been various posts here and on V8Buick on this subject. Take your time, research and choose carefully. Bad body shop experiences are too common. And yes its a good idea to attend cruises and local shows and ask owners where they got their body/paint done. Ask about the ones with defects also so you know to stay away from them.

Tom Telesco
Classic and Muscle Automotive
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, CT 06853-1601
Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET
NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66
Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads
Custom Forged Pistons
Many parts to numerous to list
"If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

It occurs to me that you may have a rare car there.

According to the standard Catalogue of Buicks, which may be incorrect,  the Gran Sport package was offered on the Skylark series 44300 midway in the  production year. While no numbers are offered, the option was available on the 2 dr sedan, 2 dr hardtop and convertible. In this series, the 2 dr sedan total production for 65 is only 4195 cars, so this mid year option could possibly have been offered on roughly 2000 cars.  Take into consideration that you have a 2 dr sedan, I bet fewer cars were optioned in that body style with the Gran Sport package.  I wonder if the 65 division has some better numbers on this?

Of course, rarity is both a blessing and a curse.  Blessing in that valuable gem you own,  curse in that it may be too rare to use and enjoy regularly. 

• Like 1

Here is the break down of 1965 Gran Sport production.

Model 44467  Convertible

3 speed        123

4 speed        598

automatic   1426

Model  44437  Hardtop

3 speed        604

4 speed      3077

automatic   7670

Model 44427 Thin Pillar Coupe

3 speed      405

4 speed      614

automatic  1263

Total production  15,780

Production started in January of '65 with a May release to market.

Loren@65GS.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hupplifer said:

Model 44427 Thin Pillar Coupe

4 speed      614

That is one car that left an impression on me back in 67-68...

We always went with teenager friends when they looked for affordable beater muscle cars in those shady used car lot "back rows".

There was a maroon with black interior 65 GS post with the 4 speed.  It had a cracked windshield, straight exhaust or missing mufflers, thin whites/black wheels with no hubcaps. It was jacked up a bit in the front, for that drag-race look.

The salesman started it up for the kid, and we all wanted it. LOL.  It looked, as well as Sounded! like a HOT ROD