1929? Dodge DA 4dr Sedan recent purchase

Gunsmoke

No Christmas should go by without investing in an old car! An old car buddy and I co-purchased this one Christmas Eve, car has been sitting in this spot for 20+ years behind a barn, complete but rough, has a lot of spares stored elsewhere including seats, lights, etc. Took these photos when I first found car in Nov 2008. Not sure what we will do with it. may re-sell in spring. Appears sidemount fenders may be from another Dodge, no sign of hardware or holes for same. Also split rear bumper suggests may have had rear mount spare originally. Anyone know if trunk rack is factory Dodge? HARD TO PUT IN A STOCKING! 

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

• Like 1

Parked outside for 20+ years in Nova Scotia?  Wow, you're a brave man.  I recently bought a 36 D2 4 passenger sedan that had been parked *inside* a semi-heated garage for 20+ years and already feel like I've taken on a huge project.  But I suspect that my prize sat outside for quite a while before the guy I bought it from got it.  20+ years inside isn't very impressive when you consider that the car is 80 years old.  LOL

But your 29? does look pretty good so it must have been covered.  The load of spare parts is a real bonus!  Good luck.  And here's my 36 project:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/286095-my-official-1936-d2-sedan-resurrection-thread/

Edited by Pete in PA (see edit history)

Bases on a few tell tale signs it is a 1929 or 1930 Dodge DA, the serial number will tell the year.  The little design in the center front of the front fender, the shape of the radiator shell, and where the vents are located are some of the signs.  If it were a real side mount car there be holes in the side cowl for the hardware.  Also the rear rack appears original for DA Dodge.

Looking at picture looks like a 29, not 30 because of doors, 30 doesn't have lip around window opening, also not correct luggage rack, wire wheels could be correct, either 48 or 60 spoke, correct hupcap for wire wheel,  

numbers will tell for sure, on frame on right side behind front rear spring Pearce on frame.

I think there's a mixture of cars here. A dual side mount DA gets a one piece rear bumper and a trunk rack. A rear spare mount does not get a trunk rack and gets a two piece bumper. You could get one side mount for the wire wheels. I'd have to look at books to determine if you could get a rear spare mount with wire wheels. I don't think so but maybe. Jesse, you are probably right on the wires and hubcaps. I'd like to see more pictures. The car needs work but looks worth doing. 

Some pics I took yesterday while out to do a pre-closing check on this car. We are having a bit of post-christmas "Buyers Remorse", so have not closed deal, and it may fall through. (1) Seller indicates fender wells were added to regular fenders by himself, checked closely, they are obviously welded in and not very good job, no brackets or sidemount hardware, bummer. (2) Frame on close inspection has several areas with pinholes/rust through. (3) One of wire wheels has badly deteriorated spokes from sitting down in mud over past 5 years, bummer. He does have a good spare wheel in car as shown. (3) He has the original wood spoked wheels that came on car, we have not seen them, but he says they are solid. (4) Seats were re-upholstered several years ago, are in unheated barn, smell musty, may be OK. (5) Had door panels and interior panels re-done years ago, but they were damaged/destroyed in a fire in an other out-building? (6) Says he has a NOS set of 40 year old tires stored elsewhere that go with car, not sure they would be a safe option? So seeing what room there is for negotiating. Anyone ever done that gig!!LOL. If car was a more desireable model (coupe for example) decision would be easier.

IMG_4472.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

IMG_4474.JPG

I've got a "money pit", but my DA was my first car when I was 15 back in '71.....sentimental.....so I just throw money and time at it and have fun with it! I keep seeing that 20s sedans, especially, aren't holding their value, but I don't care. I really like the wire wheels on the one you posted....mine are wood, but like them too!

• Like 1

Your car is why it is a hobby for most people and not a living.  If you have the skills and like the car then go for it.  I disagree about sedans being worth less then coupes.  The car is worth what a person is willing to pay.  I have collected cars for 55 years and I have always said will this car make me happy not what can I sell it for.  If you are looking for rare body styles go for a Vicky body, or cabrolet (s).  I have a roadster, touring, screenside, coupe, sedan and they are all fun to drive.

• Like 1

Our primary goal with this car was to rescue it while it still has some useful life to it, either in order of preference (1) as a long term restore project for a real keener who likes the make/model and has the time, energy and $, (2) part it out to other Dodge restorers needing pieces good to rebuild (owner says engine was running last year?), (3) sell what is left such as body/chassis to a rodder or other member of the car hobby to use as they see fit. Car is deteriorating more every month it is left exposed to the maritime climate and if it is not salvaged soon, nothing much will be left worth talking about. I have a major project underway already ('31 Chrysler CD8 Roadster), which needs 3-4 years work and many $'s, so this DA as a restoration project is not for me. It can probably be bought for under US$1500/local pickup, seems still too high to me, but someone keen, who knows.   

On Monday, December 26, 2016 at 9:01 AM, Gunsmoke said:

No Christmas should go by without investing in an old car! An old car buddy and I co-purchased this one Christmas Eve, car has been sitting in this spot for 20+ years behind a barn, complete but rough, has a lot of spares stored elsewhere including seats, lights, etc. Took these photos when I first found car in Nov 2008. Not sure what we will do with it. may re-sell in spring. Appears sidemount fenders may be from another Dodge, no sign of hardware or holes for same. Also split rear bumper suggests may have had rear mount spare originally. Anyone know if trunk rack is factory Dodge? HARD TO PUT IN A STOCKING! 

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

Nice looking DA ,I really could use those two cowl lights also one interior door handle and two window cranks, only parts needed to finch my 15 year project. 

Let me know if your interested or anyone else reading and may have these parts.

• Like 1

Nice car!! Go for It!!!  I think Too Many cars are jacked for the Rodders, my advice play and build if you like it, If not sell off parts to a oem original restoration guy needing them, I am sick of hearing rod this and rod that on this site.This site is about preservation of our Antique cars. People are getting lazy and take the path of least resistence and chop and rod just to put a chevy 350 small block in a sedan, cause they don't take it for the life venture. It's about  being able to pass down the car to the next gen and showing them what the original manufacture was making to make there car special when it was new.

Cheers Happy new year!

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

So finally my buddy and I bought this car June 26th. Then found out that sometime in last month or so someone stole the headlights out of the back seat area. The old seller (99th birthday this past Saturday) has no idea what happened to the headlights, car was sitting outside in a back yard, never locked. Oh well, not a big investment, we will try to get engine running, now have the reupholstered mohair seats which are very good, as well as some spare parts. Funny the old gent started his restoration work by getting the seats re-done. We should have car in one of our yards tomorrow, and I will provide some more details later. BTW, we have the serial# off the toe-board confirming it is a 1929 DA. As for the wire wheels/hubcaps, they are Budd, very thin spokes, 19" split rim, 5x5.5" bolt pattern.   .

Edited by Gunsmoke
added detail (see edit history)

We brought the '29 DA home today, still have to collect the running boards and original wooden spoke wheels and vacuum tank. as mentioned above. Seller had seats redone in grey mohair 15 years ago but kept them in his house. A bit of moth damage in 2 corners, but otherwise pretty clean and nicely done.We will try to get engine running and then decide what to do, keep or sell. 

IMG_4614.JPG

IMG_4626.JPG

IMG_4625.JPG

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG

• Like 1