'67 Vacuum advance Q.

PWB

I took that to mean 3 degrees advance at idle. Without a book that sounds OK.

And pick up a couple sets of vacuum caps so you can cap the carb port. I don't think mechanics golf. I might have one tee in my ignition drawer. And I don't care to stick a gnarly old screw into the hose. Sounds fussy, but I was a PIA before there were acronyms.

Bernie

13 hours ago, PWB said:

Three degrees at mark. 2.5' would be dead on according to manual so I guess 3 is good?

Yes Paul, I'd say so as long as there's no pinging under acceleration.  Dwell angle was OK?  Did you check vacuum advance operation while you had the timing light connected?

43 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Yes Paul, I'd say so as long as there's no pinging under acceleration.  Dwell angle was OK?  Did you check vacuum advance operation while you had the timing light connected?

Thanks EmTee. Just installed NOS points. The tungsten was GONE yet the car still ran OK!

I'm waiting for ACDelco plugs to come in and I'll check dwell after. (Holiday delays)

About 30 rusty years since I've done this so I appreciate everyone's help. B) Chasing a small exhaust leak today. Dang egg nog.

5 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I've heard some bad stories about the screws with a rubber hose. And shining a bright light on things at the same time.

Bernie

Nah -- not since the Geneva convention (Geneva, NY Shriner's Convention)...

For some real excitement, try setting the dwell on your idling 430 using one of those little 'L' shaped allen wrenches as your hand sits inches from those fan blades!  Even more exciting after a couple of egg nogs!  :blink:

Adjusting the dwell is much safer if you have a slip clutch fan - just hold it with another hand to stop the fan from turning.

You can also lash it down with a bungee chord, but make sure it doesn't get away on you.

The free swinging bungee on a spinning fan can destroy a radiator in a matter of seconds !!

4 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

Adjusting the dwell is much safer if you have a slip clutch fan - just hold it with another hand to stop the fan from turning...

Actually, I prefer to use one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISTRIBUTOR-POINT-WRENCH-1-8-HEX-FOR-GM-DELCO-WINDOW-DISTRIBUTORS-W-SCREW-ADAPT-/401114793514?hash=item5d644e062a:g:eYQAAOSw9KpW~pUd&item=401114793514&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

If the hose to the distributor vacuum advance has manifold vacuum I usually use a piece of paper to seal the hose. No screws or golf tees to find and it does not stretch the end of the hose. You just have to

remember that it will fall off when you shut off the engine and needs to be put back on if going back and finishing the timing adjustment. 

When I had my 64 Skylark, I made up a short section of vacuum hose complete with a ball bearing pushed into one end to seal it and kept that in the box with my all in one Optilux ( Bosch ) timing light/dwell meter/tachometer. Also kept in the box a simple 1,2,3 procedure with factory timing specs as well as an Allen key wrench for the adjustment.

The short hose had a section of red tape at the closed end and it's presence in the kit always reminded me to remove and plug the vacuum source,  and the procedure told me when. 

I still have the kit and have just changed the specs to suit the 63 Riviera.

IMO a Buick Riviera deserves much better than a golf tee or a screw as the golf tee will stretch the hose and the screw will cut into the sealing surface, both creating potential vacuum leaks.

Just my two bobs worth but I'm not a golfer.

And all this time I thought you had to balance the ball on the pointy end before you got to hit it. No wonder I was 41 strokes over on the first hole!

Gee, now there's a thought, I might just go out and try it again.

Nah don't be stupid, "automotive silliness" is bad enough, who needs another distraction.

Thanks Bernie for that distraction, the little UFO noises should have started to play.

When I saw your post this morning,  thought I would look at your suggestion while still in bed.

We are staying in a small stone cottage in Slamannan ( which is near Falkirk in Scotland.) ..........

And our AirBnB host James went out New Year's Eve in his kilt ......

And Robin Williams starts his sketch ......

IMG_0091.PNG