2017 PWD National Meet After Tour

Brian_Heil

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, AVS619 said:

I just found this thread and thought I should reply. First, I have not yet joined the BCA as our Buicks seem a bit too old for the club. I may join so that I can attend the meet in Brookfield, I live quite close, with our 1912 Buick Model 28 unrestored but preserved roadster. Our other Buick is prior to the start of GM and from my understanding the cub is interested in the GM Buicks while ours is a 1906 Model F. I think Billy Durant still had something to do with it, did he not?

Anyway I live in Lake Mills, WI and Joyce and I have hosted many tours here in Wisconsin for both the Illinois Brass Touring Region of the AACA (Chicagoland Region of the HCCA) and the Wisconsin Region of the Classic Car Club of America as well as having just started the newest region of the HCCA, The Southern Wisconsin Region. Being a real estate appraiser, I know the roads here.

I would be happy to help with your tour if you are interested. I looked at the Sunday ideas above and think the Octagon House is a great stop but going west you should stop In Waterloo for their antique carousel. I would also recommend Little Amerrika but contact Darrell Klompmaker there. They operate 15" gauge steam locomotives (one is from Gene Autry's Melody Ranch) and also erect and repair them at the rear 'roundhouse'. We have taken and directed numerous tours there and Darrell often open the shop for the tourists. Well worth checking that out.

The Miller event at the Milwaukee Mile is awesome and well worth a day there. I plan on being there on Friday. Yes, it is hosted by the Miller-Offenhauser Society but other race cars attend all the way back to the brass-era. Last time I was there I was on the track in Mercer race cars and a 1911 Cutting. The sight, sounds, and even smells are a pure joy to car enthusiasts. Nothing more exciting than being on the track in a brass-era race car other than flying in a WWII bomber. Sorry, I digress.

Anyway, if I (we) can help let me know. However I will out of touch for about a week after January 18th when I get to have the pleasure of hip replacement surgery. Contact Thomas Edfors @ brasscars@charter.net

I see in my latest Bugle that Thomas and his wife have joined the BCA.  Atta boy Thomas!  Welcome!

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2017-02-28 at 3:03 PM, Brian_Heil said:

After Tour Hotel Room Block has been set. 

Here are the details. 

Make your own reservation.

Block and price will be held until May 1st.

Arrive Sunday July 9th

Depart Wednesday morning July 12th

So, if you are Touring with us all 3 days you need to book 3 nights, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights.  July 9/10/11.

Holiday Inn Express

7184 Morrisonville Rd.

De Forest, Wi  53532

(608) 846 8686

Mention Buick Club of America for Group Rate of $104 (normally $119)

(I should have the Thursday PWD Dinner all set in the next few days and update that posting)

Thx!

Hotel is full. We were able to book into the Qulity Inn & Suites in Lodi, about 8 miles away. I'm likely to head to MN later Monday but Suzanne and the boys will continue to participate in (relatively) modern iron. I don't know whether Teresa will go with me or with her mother. 

Thiller,

Glad you could find a spot.  I won't ask who will be where and when and with whom since I'm certain you don't know either.  :P

See you and or some portion of your "Team" in Wisconsin.  Looking forward to it.

I am now back from my VMCCA Nickel Tour in Tennessee and it is full speed ahead on the BCA Trip and After Tour.

Brian

OK Folks, we are getting close.

If you have not replied to this Chat String that you are attending the PWD After Tour or sent me an email regarding the same, please post or email now.  Either works.  Last Call and all that sort of stuff as I figure out how many copies of the Tour Directions I need to print and bring.

Also, don't forget our PWD Meeting at 3:00 - 4:30 Thursday Night before we head out to Dinner.  Milwaukee Ballroom #1 at the Sheraton where we will go over Dinner and the After Tour and other (monkey) business.  Did you sign up for the PWD Dinner on the other post? 

There is still time to join the After Tour and/or the Dinner but hurry.

On Tuesday, July 11th we will visit Spring Green, Wisconsin (among other venues) and have the opportunity to tour the world famous Frank Lloyd Wright Estate - Taliesen

I can get you there either in the morning or in the afternoon or mid day (or any combination) depending on which tour(s) you wish to take.  Just let me know.

This place is pricey, but it is also on my Wife's must see list and perhaps others.

The reason I post this now is, advanced ticket purchase is highly suggested as tours sell out (they also get an extra 6% for these online sales, hmmm)

Any way.  I did not want anyone to be disappointed with a sold out tour so I am posting this now.

100_0712_1.jpg

Midway_Farm_on_Taliesin_estate.jpg

waterfall.jpg

Tours of the Taliesin Estate

Taliesin Preservation offers a variety of tours of the Taliesin estate in Spring Green, Wisconsin. These tours are designed for every level of interest.

Booking tours in advance are strongly recommended. Tours often sell out, so book well in advance of your preferred tour date. Walk-ins are accommodated space permitting only. 

book online

A 6% ticket handling charge is applied to all advance sales.
Accessible tours are available with three weeks notice by special arrangement. Call for details.

buygiftcert_1.jpg

Twilight at Taliesin
2 hour tour of Taliesin, gardens, and courtyard with drinks and hors d' oeuvres
Every Friday evening from 5-7 p.m. June-September
This tour is for guests 21 & over
 $100

Hillside Studio & Theater Tour
1 hour tour of Assembly Hall, Drafting Studio, Romeo & Juliet Windmill, and Hillside Theater
May - October, every day at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
$22 per person ($17 seniors, students, active military)
$7 per child under the age of 10

House Tour
2 hour tour of Taliesin, gardens, and courtyard
May - October, every day at 12:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
Also at 11:00 a.m. in July, August & September
This tour is also available on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays in April and November at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
$53 per person ($48 seniors, students, active military)
Children under the age of 10 are not permitted on the House Tour.

Highlights Tour
2 hour tour of Hillside Studio & Theater, and Taliesin
May - October, every day at 10:15 a.m. and 1:45 p.m.
Also at 3:15 p.m. in July, August & September
$58 per person ($53 seniors, students, active military)
Children under the age of 10 are not permitted on the Highlights Tour.

Estate Tour
4 hour hiking tour of all buildings, including Hillside, Tan-y-Deri, and Taliesin
9:30 a.m.
May/June/October - Every day except Monday and Wednesday
July/August/September - Every day
$89 per person ($84 seniors, students, active military)
Children under the age of 10 are not permitted on the Estate Tour.

Just added up the vehicles for the After Tour, 9 vehicles and 21 Tourists.  Nice.

Still room!  I just run the printer a few more times and out pop more directions.  some might even be accurate. :P

Here are two venues that are on the After Tour but we won't have time for,' but at $20 and $15 each think of it as me saving you $35  :D

Good virtual tours on these two websites and now when we drive by you can go,  'Oooooo, Ahhhhhh, I know what that looks like inside and that wonderful Tour Director just save me and Mama $70 !'.

http://alringlingmansion.com/tours/

http://www.alringling.com/     (let the automated pictures scroll and change on the home page)

Hi Brian,

based on scheduling, would it be reasonable for those of us who are Roman Catholic to be able to take in Sunday Mass at the Holy Hill basilica? They have Mass times of 9:30, 11:00, and 12:30. I'm not sure we would be able to get there for 9:30 and 12:30 would likely be too late for the remainder of the day's activities. 

Thanks. 

17 hours ago, Thriller said:

Hi Brian,

based on scheduling, would it be reasonable for those of us who are Roman Catholic to be able to take in Sunday Mass at the Holy Hill basilica? They have Mass times of 9:30, 11:00, and 12:30. I'm not sure we would be able to get there for 9:30 and 12:30 would likely be too late for the remainder of the day's activities. 

Thanks. 

Certainly.  Our Sunday plan is an 11:30 - 12:30 Lunch in Watertown, WI then a 1:00 tour of the Octagon House.

Then the Carousel in Waterloo, WI

Then Little Amerikka in Marshall, WI

Then DeForest, WI hotel.  You are a bit further to your hotel.

Put those kids to work planning a time table and route to determine when and where you will catch up.

Octagon House has lots of tour times.  Carousel closes at 3 in Waterloo.  Little Amerikka is open late.  You won't miss a thing, including church.

On 6/26/2017 at 9:58 PM, Brian_Heil said:

On Tuesday, July 11th we will visit Spring Green, Wisconsin (among other venues) and have the opportunity to tour the world famous Frank Lloyd Wright Estate - Taliesen

I can get you there either in the morning or in the afternoon or mid day (or any combination) depending on which tour(s) you wish to take.  Just let me know.

This place is pricey, but it is also on my Wife's must see list and perhaps others.

The reason I post this now is, advanced ticket purchase is highly suggested as tours sell out (they also get an extra 6% for these online sales, hmmm)

Any way.  I did not want anyone to be disappointed with a sold out tour so I am posting this now.

100_0712_1.jpg

Midway_Farm_on_Taliesin_estate.jpg

waterfall.jpg

Tours of the Taliesin Estate

Taliesin Preservation offers a variety of tours of the Taliesin estate in Spring Green, Wisconsin. These tours are designed for every level of interest.

Booking tours in advance are strongly recommended. Tours often sell out, so book well in advance of your preferred tour date. Walk-ins are accommodated space permitting only. 

book online

A 6% ticket handling charge is applied to all advance sales.
Accessible tours are available with three weeks notice by special arrangement. Call for details.

buygiftcert_1.jpg

Twilight at Taliesin
2 hour tour of Taliesin, gardens, and courtyard with drinks and hors d' oeuvres
Every Friday evening from 5-7 p.m. June-September
This tour is for guests 21 & over
 $100

Hillside Studio & Theater Tour
1 hour tour of Assembly Hall, Drafting Studio, Romeo & Juliet Windmill, and Hillside Theater
May - October, every day at 11:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
$22 per person ($17 seniors, students, active military)
$7 per child under the age of 10

House Tour
2 hour tour of Taliesin, gardens, and courtyard
May - October, every day at 12:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
Also at 11:00 a.m. in July, August & September
This tour is also available on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays in April and November at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
$53 per person ($48 seniors, students, active military)
Children under the age of 10 are not permitted on the House Tour.

Highlights Tour
2 hour tour of Hillside Studio & Theater, and Taliesin
May - October, every day at 10:15 a.m. and 1:45 p.m.
Also at 3:15 p.m. in July, August & September
$58 per person ($53 seniors, students, active military)
Children under the age of 10 are not permitted on the Highlights Tour.

Estate Tour
4 hour hiking tour of all buildings, including Hillside, Tan-y-Deri, and Taliesin
9:30 a.m.
May/June/October - Every day except Monday and Wednesday
July/August/September - Every day
$89 per person ($84 seniors, students, active military)
Children under the age of 10 are not permitted on the Estate Tour.

Some of us have signed up for the 10:15 Highlights Tour on Tuesday if some of you would care to join us.  FYI.

We visited the narrow gauge train shops at Little Amerikka. Google it.  They repair and fabricate for a wide range of customers

Dandy Dave after you move you should Summer here. Darrell could be your brother.  I am very serious.  Great shop.

All hand fab and build.

20170709_163157.jpg

20170709_164026.jpg

20170709_164046.jpg

• Like 3

I thought it was Joseph that got soaked, but I wasn't there. It was fun. We are now broke after Suzanne visited Taliesin. Since Joseph is looking at architecture as a career I understand he was pretty interested. 

Perhaps one one of my crew will do some writing for the Bugle. 

Lost is relative. There were a couple moments of whereabouts uncertainty on Sunday in my world. 

• Like 1

Brian:

Thank you so much for a great tour. DSCF6185.thumb.JPG.4f333955d6a67ddb4117640aa5b33d06.JPGWe got back to Chambersburg Saturday evening after 5 PM.  Good that we got on the road Tuesday and stayed ahead of the storms.

On the way back I presented Paul Ford from Mars PA. with his gold award for his 1933 Victoria Sedan I accepted for him at the banquet. DSCF6199.thumb.JPG.cc454cbf310b04962af555c781695ddd.JPGWe spent 2 days with our daughter in Indiana PA. Showing what a "Dirty Thirties" car looks like after a day in Ohio rain.DSCF6200.thumb.JPG.f122e796b44489bad46ff4864650be9b.JPG Total for our trip was 1,915.5 miles. The 37 was tired as we are.

• Like 6

Home safe and sound.  

1485 total miles and not a lick of trouble.  I snugged the water pump packing nuts at ~1000 miles about 1/16 of a turn.  Swapped out plugs then too. Readjusted #6 exhaust valve lash that was ticking when I left and I finally got tired of listening to it.

Oil consumption was 125 miles/Qt which is what it has always been and I brought the correct amount of oil to cover that.  Trans leaked a pint.  Axle still full.  Used ~pint of lube to keep the overhead oiled.  Felt washers on the valve stems worked great.  11.5 MPG @ ~38 MPH.  Maybe 1/2 gal of water.

Let's do it again!

20170716_150133.jpg

• Like 8

• MrEarl unpinned this topic