Accidental deleted my 72 Riviera thread

kreed

Think my original thread is gone but here are few more pics . Ed , I had a company here manufacture the new quarter panels for me . They have some amazing equipment in their  shop. They aren't cheap ( $150/ panel ) but my restoration  guy put them and you can't tell they were ever replaced. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, kreed said:

Somehow I managed to delete my entire thread on my 72 Riviera while to load some pictures-anyway to retrieve it? Thanks 

KReed

ROA 14549

Got here soon as I could. Not sure how it got deleted unless you actually hit delete but what was the title of of your original thread, I'll see if I can retrieve it. Or if you have brought this one up to speed of the old one and just want to carry on with it I can change the title to it match content. 

Beautifl car and some nice work you are doing

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:51 AM, MrEarl said:

Got here soon as I could. Not sure how it got deleted unless you actually hit delete but what was the title of of your original thread, I'll see if I can retrieve it. Or if you have brought this one up to speed of the old one and just want to carry on with it I can change the title to it match content. 

Beautifl car and some nice work you are doing

Thanks for saving this thread!

One of the most amazing restorations. Always loved silver and red bands. :lol: Was the dash recovered? If so - impeccable

And just my opinion - the 3rd Gen. has the best floor shift/console design. Miss my '73 with (simulated) wood. Don't miss the

big Federal bumpers though.

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

This 72 is going to be an awesome car. The quality of workmanship and attention to detail is very apparent in the pictures. Best of all the customization plans for the project were kept slightly understated allowing Buick's design to stay in the forefront throughout as well as maintaining a level of nostalgia. So many customs get overdone with outrageous amenities. Boattails generally don't benefit from that. Maybe Ken will treat attendees and have this car in Reno next June!

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

3 hours ago, PWB said:

Thanks for saving this thread!

One of the most amazing restorations. Always loved silver and red bands. :lol: Was the dash recovered? If so - impeccable

And just my opinion - the 3rd Gen. has the best floor shift/console design. Miss my '73 with (simulated) wood. Don't miss the

big Federal bumpers though.

The dash was refurbished by Just Dashes in California and my guy painted it. Before picture below .They did an amazing job given what they had to work with. Fit perfectly going back in - highly recommend their quality . Not cheap and 3-4 months lead time .

Yes,  Jason , will try to get Reno but will probably trailer it - something I wouldn't normally do but dreading my first serious rock chip and it's a long way from Des Moines !  ( and Pennsylvania ) 

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

Supreme resto' and monumental task.

I don't know how many otherwise great cars for sale I turned down for only cracked dashes. Such a deal breaker for some.

Kudos to you and Just Dashes. Would like to know who re-chromed the instrument bezel?

(BTW glad you lost the Eight Ball shift^_^)

Hi Paul - the instrument cluster bezels came in two varieties in 72 - faux wood and a very thin metal appliqué with a turned metal  pattern . I didnt like the wood so I removed it and bought some reproduction paper " turned metal pattern" and put them in and they looked like crap. Finally found a guy here in Des Moines who could laser cut a very thin turned metal for me and they really came out very nice. Have not put them in the bezel yet but will do so soon and post some pictures. They are not cheap - cost me $500 for four pieces but I knew I would never be satisfied with paper replacements. I was able to find a few parts cars withe originals in pace but all were either damaged or discolored . 

Also did my console with same process . 

Kreed

ROA 14549

• Like 1

Congratulations (from France) on going for a no-holds-barred restoration on this boat-tail Riv !

it will be totally gorgeous, and I already love the classy colour combination, when so many boat-tails (including my copper orange) have gaudy shiny looks. The shape of this car is outstanding in its own right and is likely best served with an understated body colour...

Well done, congrats on the masterful craftmanship, and please keep the pictures coming !

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:00 PM, kreed said:

Yes,  Jason , will try to get Reno but will probably trailer it - something I wouldn't normally do but dreading my first serious rock chip and it's a long way from Des Moines !  ( and Pennsylvania ) 

KReed

ROA 14549

Ken,

No worries Ken. Those who know me know I'm not a fan of trailering either but had to succumb to it last June. Sometimes its just the smart thing to do. I would much rather see a car trailered and show up for the meet vs staying home in the garage where no one can see it! xyxthumbs.gif Looking forward to seeing it if you can make it.

13 hours ago, RoadShark said:

That car is really spectacular.  Do you know anything about those exhaust hangers they used?  Are those custom or something that can be bought?

Indeed! I noticed those hangers too.

This build should be followed by a magazine at least. Call the press!

The red seats appear the same tone as those in the new Caddys, big $ option. Love it. First class. -_-

Thanks for all the kind comments . It has truly been an 18 month labor of love with tremendous help and advice from ROA members . Can't wait to get it done next month . I will check with my exhaust guy on the hangars . I believe he mentioned to me that he found them at a recent car show exhibit and "had to have em" with my car being the first he used them on. I will find out who he where and let you know .  The interior is torch red . Same as Hardy Rawls spectacular  65 which won best show in 2014 in Colorado , I believe . If you haven't seen his car , check it out - it is spectacular . He let me drive it in October at his annual Houston car show . I was being very careful staying under 50 MPH and he made me stop when we entered back on his quarter mile drive way and said : " Do you know how to smoke tires ? I said "well , yeh . " He said " Well , damnit , do it !" About a 1000 feet later , I had to get off of it as we were approaching his building ! What fun and what amazing torque! Smoke took several minutes to clear !  and tires need replacing . For those of you who know Hardy , you know what I mean - what a great guy who enjoys his cars the way they should be enjoyed . Merry Christmas to all. 

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

Thought I would update a couple of pictures as the front clip has been going on the last couple of weeks . Lots of tweeking yet to get the gaps and everything lined up before we install the grill and headlights and bumper . Never appreciated how many "movable parts" in a front clip ! Move one and two other go out of alignment . Also had a scare today - apparently the solenoid on the starter locked up as they were moving it and fried ignition wires in about two minutes . Fortunately there were two people right there and could pull the wires out while one was is disconnecting the battery . Brand new AC Delco starter - guess you never know ,huh? I have the feeling that parts  today are not as good as they used to be . Anyway got all the wiring redone and will replace the starter tomorrow with another "new " one . I had the original wiring harness refurbished but think I will go a different route with my 65 GS , namely Painless or something similar . If anyone has suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got done with the '72 last week just in time for the World of  Wheels Autorama in Kansas City where she made her first public appearance . Few pictures of us setting up on the day before the show . Lots of very nice cars . Two other interesting Riviera's -one '65 restomod and a ' 67 low rider . Retirement fund now depleted - Ramen noodles rest of year . Appreciate Gordon and Susan Wolfgang dropping by to visit . 

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg