Velocity channel

plymouthcranbrook

"Hot Rod Metal Build Chasers Deals"

Watch it tonight!

Watch the team as they find a junk car pre-discovered by the production team, talk to the cranky-but-lovable owner and work a killer deal, getting a $500 car for the bargain price of $1200. Get behind-the-scenes commentary from the guys who build the cars as they tell you how they need to get it at the right price to make it work and how their margins are razor thin if they want to make a profit. Enjoy how they abuse their subcontractors, giving them even more impossible deadlines, then complaining about the cost! Watch as they transform the car into something nobody in their right mind would ever want and do it under a crushing deadline where they have everything to lose! Thrill to the reveal where lousy body gaps and visible tape lines illustrate what you get when you try to build a car in six days using guys with a 7th grade education who don't sleep and live on Red Bull and Fig Newtons for weeks at a time!

All tonight on "Junkyard Street Chop Resurrection Wars"

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Watch it tonight!

Watch the team as they find a junk car pre-discovered by the production team, talk to the cranky-but-lovable owner and work a killer deal, getting a $500 car for the bargain price of $1200. Get behind-the-scenes commentary from the guys who build the cars as they tell you how they need to get it at the right price to make it work and how their margins are razor thin if they want to make a profit. Enjoy how they abuse their subcontractors, giving them even more impossible deadlines, then complaining about the cost! Watch as they transform the car into something nobody in their right mind would ever want and do it under a crushing deadline where they have everything to lose! Thrill to the reveal where lousy body gaps and visible tape lines illustrate what you get when you try to build a car in six days using guys with a 7th grade education who don't sleep and live on Red Bull and Fig Newtons for weeks at a time!

So Matt, is that a yes or no?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Watch it tonight!

For the reason I no longer watch these so-called automotive shows. I wonder if this is one of the reasons the Millennium's are not interested in old cars when they see this crap on TV.  

7 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I doubt anyone reading the AACA Forum could turn out a finished car or truck that would match the fit and finish of anything built on Bitchin Rides or Graveyard Carz. If I had the funds I'd send a car to both shops. Bob

You might be surprised who is on the forum. One of the fellows on here I know has not once but several times received first and second place awards. His circuit is Pebble Beach, Amelia plus several other shows with the cars he has done. I do not think those TV shows have ever entered a car !! 

Plus I will not name the show but another friend took his car to a very famous shop you see on TV for a total restoration. After half a year he went in pulled his car and took it to another shop to have the chassis redone. It was that bad.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

7 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I doubt anyone reading the AACA Forum could turn out a finished car or truck that would match the fit and finish of anything built on Bitchin Rides or Graveyard Carz. If I had the funds I'd send a car to both shops. Bob

Me too!  For demolition.   It is not only in cars. The current menu of almost nothing except  "reality " shows turned me off years ago.

Ben

Guest Skyking

One of the popular tv shows I won't mention here did a Mopar for a customer that was so bad the customer rejected it and had it sent to the shop my son works at here in RI.  Multiple defects were found throughout the previous restoration.  Simple things like wrong window mechanisms swapped from door to door not allowing the windows to go up and down.  Exhaust and oil leaks throughout the drivetrain.  My son said the whole project was a disaster.  All looked great on television..........

I currently have a car in my showroom built on one of these shows. Actually, just painted by them. I can't argue with the quality of the work (custom paint is what made this shop famous and they do nice work) but I can certainly argue with the questionable taste that the paint job illustrates. Spiders! Skulls! Spiders with skulls! Skulls eating skulls! And FIRE FIRE FIRE!

I also have a friend whose car was featured on another show where they gave it a makeover. Not only was the ENTIRE thing scripted, but they pulled a numbers-matching powertrain from a rare muscle car and installed a crate motor that actually made less power than the original motor and never ran right. But at least it had a bunch of shiny shait on it.

My final experience was a certain GTO convertible built for a certain disgraced pro athlete by his musician ex-girlfriend. It was towed to my shop for me to try to sell, but it didn't run. The pro athlete dumped it almost instantly, the guy who bought it was all excited to have a TV car and spent thousands trying to make it right and finally gave up. That's when he called me to try to dump it. I passed because it still didn't run properly. I don't think they would ever be done spending money on that car.

I do like Dave Kindig and his show--it's different because they seem to like each other, they do the job right, and there are no false deadlines to create drama. I don't watch often but I like the guy and I do think he does good work. That Futurliner restoration was very impressive, although the super-excited owner who bankrolled it sent it to auction almost immediately where it sold for a fraction of what he spent on it. That one $4 million sale ten years ago was a fluke, but everyone thinks it's the benchmark. 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Matt,

I picked it just looking at pictures and didn't even scroll down the page. Made me think of a new country music song; 20 years ago the wife left, the dog died, the house burned down, and my sister got pregnant. Pointed at the same demographic Buick put black Roadmasters on turn tables for in 1992 (sedan). I'd rename it "The Anachronistic Widow".

The personalities, deadlines, and feeble plots detract from the shows for me. And I have noticed that I am less inclined to stop at a collector car business over the last few years, consciously avoiding what maybe be a wanna be personality in the business. That is probably the worst affect. I didn't stop and buy. I don't think I buy the "soap" they pitch on their shows either.

I had to smile about the mention of deadlines. I have two little jobs  need to do in the garage. It has been cold here and I have a web-based thermostat in the garage set for 38 degrees. Four times this week I have logged on and set the temperature up, but never got out there. Imagine the drama of the lost time and the abuse I would get for that if I was an actor mechanic!

Didn't AACA get involved with a TV show production company? I haven't seen much follow up on that. Was it a year ago?

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Since Dave Kindig was mentioned.

I too think his quality is better than most. I personally know the owner of the 'Copper Caddy'.

My dealings with him and his business has taken me to Salk Lake City where I was invited to Kingigit Designs shop for a grand opening of sorts of his new showroom.

Big Whoop, I got my mug on TV. No big deal, but back to Daves shop.

He had several projects going on when I was there and I was very impressed by all of them.

By the way, another friend has been commissioned to sell the FutureLiner again. I got to climb up in to the drivers seat and check it out in detail.

It has been restored to a much higher quality than it was ever at when it was new. It reminds me of a huge piece of jewelry.

Watch for it at an auction in the not so distant future.

20160830_185240.jpg

20160830_205116.jpg

20160830_205427.jpg

20160830_205352.jpg

20160829_113025.jpg

20160829_113054.jpg

20160829_113117.jpg

20160830_205037.jpg

20160830_205303.jpg

Thanks for the photos Jack! I saw the Copper Caddy, the Buick Invicta and the '54 Pontiac at the GNRS back in January, top shelf in every way. The one feature of the show I enjoy is the all to brief fab work using the collection of tools that shop has, just gives you a hint of how things get made. That Roadster front end is a piece of work, I wonder how detailed the design sketch was on that part of the build, that is something you never see on the show.  Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Fantomworks seems to be "real" & I like the fact that they go over the cost of the repairs or restoration at the end of the show. The Mopar guy, Mark Worman, I appreciate his knowledge, but I can't stand the goofing around & for sure I'd fire 1 or 2 of the clowns working for him. I can't stand the fake engine revving on What's My Car Worth? & the 2 "experts" are right about half the time. Chasing Classic Cars would be better for me if there was some kind of clue as to what was paid for the cars he finds & more details about how he found the cars. But that probably would expose his secrets/contacts more than he'd want to.

I don't waste my time on Unique or Bitchin' rides.

Edited by George Smolinski (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Chasing Classic Cars is a yes in my book just for the way it is presented - no manufactured drama, ridiculous timelines, and a different view of the auction process removed from all the glitz of the produced auction coverage. Wheeler Dealers is also a yes as I respect Edd's abilities and his knack for explaining what he's doing in simple terms with a welcome amount of humility (sorry, but Mike Brewer can be bothersome). Kindig's show is somewhat watchable for the talent displayed, but I'm just not a custom guy. His shop foreman (with the hat over his ears) is a real annoyance to me and doesn't seem to add anything but childishness.

• Like 2

I have seen several cars/trucks that have been built on air time. On the surface the paint looks great.

When they use 2 -3 cans of mud an a car they can somewhat correct the body work and panel gaps, this is what we did to get used cars (beaters) ready to sell.

Shutting this computer down. Two hours and reruns of Wonder Woman will be on. If it wasn't for reruns TV would be a wasteland.

Tasteless cars with skulls and flames. I just don't get it. I'll spend my time watching  an American hero in red and blue. Anyway, those boots remind me of a old girlfriend

Bernie

• Like 2

What about that show with the two guys buying cars in Mexico with the special op's guy as their back-up, without a doubt one of the dumbest shows I ever had the pleasure to shut off.

FYI   all of these shows are scripted, and follow a format. Anyone remember the show on NBC called "The Office"? Notice how Graveyard Cars follows the same format... boss is portrayed as an egotistical (whatever) employees making fun of him behind his back, the weird guy who works there, the guy who could care less. They are trying to inform us while entertaining (the think). Baseball's opening day is in 14 weeks and I will have something to watch again. 

I don't mind watching many of those shows once or twice when I have nothing better to do and it's 28 degrees in my garage -- but when they insist on re-running the same $#@#'in episode 39 times...  Oh, I forgot; they added some lame 'factoid' pop-ups every 5 minutes so they could list it as a 'new' episode!   :huh:

I like the Wayne Carini show, Chasing Classic Cars.  It gives an interesting look at the higher end of the hobby (above my level).  I also like Wheeler Dealers.  I learn at least one useful tidbit from each show, and they present in a fun way without all the contrived drama.   Velocity is like most of the other available channels; you might like a particular show, but you wouldn't watch everything they offer.  It's also a microcosm of the car hobby in general.  We have everything from classics to street rods, tuners to Junkers, high end and low end, racers, dragsters, sports cars, you name it.  I'm tickled that there is a Velocity channel.  Ten years ago, there was nothing on TV related to our hobby.

While I am not a fan of the fake drama take a nice car and make it look goofy shows, I am not a fan of Wayne Carini either. While the cars are nice, and the show doesn't appear to have the fake drama, he seems to have the attitude that if cars are not worth at least high six figures, they are simply not worth collecting and wasting your money on. Also, on the episodes I have seen, he talks about always wanting to buy an X. Yet as soon as he gets it, he flips it.

• Like 1

Guest Skyking

When I was selling my '60 Metropolitan I contacted Carini a number of times through emails and phone because he was an hour and a half away and I knew he sold cars on consignment.  He never once contacted me in anyway so I listed the car on sellersnetwork.com and sold it in three weeks.  I guess he didn't think a Metropolitan was worth his time and effort.  Oh,  BTW,  the lady who bought the car belongs to the AACA and had it judged and won her first Junior with zero deductions in that class.  I have no use for Carini........

16 hours ago, John348 said:

... boss is portrayed as an egotistical (whatever) employees making fun of him behind his back, the weird guy who works there, the guy who could care less. They are trying to inform us while entertaining (the think). Baseball's opening day is in 14 weeks and I will have something to watch again. 

The only genuine "reality" TV show is also one of the first: "Cops".  That show is pretty much put together around real video camera footage, and has little if any phony hype etc.  Almost all of the other "reality" shows are so tightly scripted that they become predictable and boring.

As for the "reality" car shows, two of the first, Monster Garage and Overhaulin', I found to be interesting and watched both frequently.  I turned off Monster Garage after they destroyed a survivor example of an extremely rare car to build a hotrod/ratrod.  Don't get me wrong, I like both hotrods and ratrods (I own both), but I also believe in the preservation of historic or old vehicles.  Overhaulin' just became "more of the same" week after week, so ... 

Of the current shows, I like "Chasing Classic Cars", "Wheeler Dealers" and (gasp) "Fast 'N' Loud".  Despite the shows drama about fake deadlines, I like the personalities on "Fast 'N' Loud", even though the star, Richard, is nothing more than a glitzy used car salesman; however, he doesn't try to be anything else.  The shows I don't like include "Bitchin' Rides" (the name turns me off), "Graveyard Cars" (Mopar only), "Fantom Works" (no real reason, I've just not watched it much), "Counting Cars" ( I don't care for the cast's weird costumes that they wear in a forced attempt to be cool) and "Unique Rides" (I neither care for the personalities nor the work involved) which reminds me of the old "Pimp My Ride" show.  Judging from the favorable comments about Dave Kindig in this thread, I guess I'll have to force my way past my dislike of the show's titile and watch more of "Bitchin' Rides".

Off to watch more "reality" TV,

Grog

6 hours ago, LINC400 said:

While I am not a fan of the fake drama take a nice car and make it look goofy shows, I am not a fan of Wayne Carini either. While the cars are nice, and the show doesn't appear to have the fake drama, he seems to have the attitude that if cars are not worth at least high six figures, they are simply not worth collecting and wasting your money on. Also, on the episodes I have seen, he talks about always wanting to buy an X. Yet as soon as he gets it, he flips it.

Glad I'm not the only one....

Something about "Chasing Classic Cars" just rubs me the wrong way.... should be called "Flipping Classic Cars". I get that he makes his living buying, selling and restoring classic cars. I've also read many times that he is genuinely nice guy that does a lot of nice things. But finding a rare care stashed away and saying "I've always wanted one of these" only to sell it 3 months later strikes me as a bit dis-ingenious.... the Stutz Bearcat episode is a perfect example.

His mechanic, Roger, on the other hand, I'd love to hang out with him for a day. I'm sure I'd learn some things and be entertained with cheesy jokes. I like the show just because of him.

21 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Thanks for the photos Jack! I saw the Copper Caddy, the Buick Invicta and the '54 Pontiac at the GNRS back in January, top shelf in every way. The one feature of the show I enjoy is the all to brief fab work using the collection of tools that shop has, just gives you a hint of how things get made. That Roadster front end is a piece of work, I wonder how detailed the design sketch was on that part of the build, that is something you never see on the show.  Bob

I am always interested in suspensions.

I do a lot of that kind of work and this roadster is over the top.

I doubt that this is a kit, but some very interesting engineering for sure.

1 hour ago, Chase392 said:

Something about "Chasing Classic Cars" just rubs me the wrong way.... should be called "Flipping Classic Cars". I get that he makes his living buying, selling and restoring classic cars. I've also read many times that he is genuinely nice guy that does a lot of nice things. But finding a rare care stashed away and saying "I've always wanted one of these" only to sell it 3 months later strikes me as a bit dis-ingenious.... the Stutz Bearcat episode is a perfect example.

Ultimately he's a used car dealer (nothing wrong with that) but he's trying to put a shine on it for the show.  This creates the sort of quotes that you are finding annoying.  It might be because of a lifetime in the hobby he feels that projecting himself as a collector/enthusiast sounds better than a businessman-car dealer.

1 hour ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

Car Flippers are not car guys. 

They don't care about antique cars.

They care about Money. 

Amen brother. I wonder if there are any of those on this site? They are what spoiled the hobby & turned it into an opportunity for "investment portfolios". I watched one episode of CCC that showed state inspectors coming to a show/auction & questioning VIN's on 1 or more cars because the numbers weren't right according to the inspectors. The host poo-pooed the inspectors as though they didn't know their butt from a hole in the ground. I believe what it amounted to was if the car(s) were sold with the numbers as they were, it would be illegal. Of course, he knows better than the state inspectors. After all he's a flipper & the host of his own show.

3 hours ago, Chase392 said:

Glad I'm not the only one....

His mechanic, Roger, on the other hand, I'd love to hang out with him for a day. I'm sure I'd learn some things and be entertained with cheesy jokes. I like the show just because of him.

Wasn't there a Stutz that was alleged to have been bought out from under someone? I read that someone was dealing/negotiating with the owner & someone else got wind of it, swooped in & bought it. That's not nice.

14 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

Wasn't there a Stutz that was alleged to have been bought out from under someone? I read that someone was dealing/negotiating with the owner & someone else got wind of it, swooped in & bought it. That's not nice.

That was a topic on the HAMB, guy that found it before Wayne couldn't come up with the asking price set by the owner, Wayne could. Wayne sent the car out and had it made drivable took it to Pebble Beach and won the FIVA award for best unrestored car that year. He had his fun with the car, and put it in an auction, somebody else loved it and bought it. The guy that did buy it at auction would NEVER have know the car existed unless Wayne "found' it. No crime, two happy people there, time to move along. Bob

9 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

Not nice for whom?  The buyer who apparently would rather talk than meet the seller's price, or the seller who becomes tired of "dealing/negotiating" with a buyer who is all talk and no money.  I recently sold a collector car and had several offers and others who said that they liked both my car and my price, but that they'd "get back with me" (these are the ones that have to check with the wife).  The first one who accepted my price and wired the money to my bank, is the one who got the car.  Remember the old adage: "If ya snooze, ya lose".  On the other hand, if there was some sort of contract (verbal or otherwise) or a deposit had been made and the seller backs out of the agreement, then that's a different situation.

Money talks, B.S. walks,

Grog