1911 Flanders 20 First Trip North

midman

I am constantly amazed at what our early automobile users did in the beginning of the era. I thought I'd post some information I recently found of one such trip. I found this little booklet in a box I recently purchased called FIRST TO HAZELTON IN A FLANDERS 20. It documents a trip from the Seattle Washington to Hazelton British Columbia in 1912. A distance of 1200 miles with very few roads.

A few highlights referred to in the book:

Traveled in high gear 350 miles, 2nd gear, 381 miles low gear 550 miles!

400 miles of the trip were made where no car had traveled before.

200 miles traveled where no vehicle of any kind had been before.

Only replacement parts were tires, brakes and two bearings.

OK I'll stop worrying when I take one of my cars out and about in this modern era of paved roads, cell phones and flatbed tow trucks.

Flanders1.jpg

Flanders2.jpg

Flanders3.jpg

Flanders4.jpg

Flanders5.jpg

Flanders6.jpg

Flanders7.jpg

Hazelton is certainly a odd place for a final destination. Does the book say why it was chosen? Very challenging terrain but that would describe most of inland British Columbia in 1912. {or even today}. Not a lot in Hazelton , Smithers to the east and Terrace to the west are both quite a bit larger.  Even today the road through these parts is considered a bit risky, particularly in winter.

Greg in Canada

On December 15, 2016 at 5:04 PM, midman said:

OK I'll stop worrying when I take one of my cars out and about in this modern era of paved roads, cell phones and flatbed tow trucks.

Chuckled a bit at this.  It is amazing how much more worrisome travel was "back in the day".  Yet, I think I still might worry these days ... if only because of those "other drivers".... ;)

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"Will I be merry or will I be blue?" | Deborah Allen | 'Rockin' Little Christmas'

• 2 weeks later...

We forget how travel was back before the interstate highway system. One of my earliest memories was a vacation to see my Dad's brother in Tennessee. This was in 1953 or so. Took us 3 days to drive from Pa in Dad's '48 Cadillac. Down routes 11/15 thru one small town after another. Today we could make the drive in a day.

• Like 1