AACA Museum & AACA, What is Going On

midman

I thought this issue was shelved and everyone moved on but obviously that is not the case. What is the big deal with leaving things as they are. As the club has stated numerous times the museum was always a separate entity with AACA in its name. Now all of a sudden the club is saying they are under tremoundous pressure from the membership to make the museum drop AACA from their name. Really, as far as I could see everyone had moved on except maybe the club board.

None of us will be around forever, and certainly neither the club or museum board members are going to have a statue erected in their honor or books written about them.So maybe cooler heads will prevail in the not too distant future, and the desires of the people that gave of their time and money over the years will be fulfilled with combined or separate entities working for the common good of promoting the preservation and history of motor vehicles.

Unfortunately burning bridges will make that much more difficult in the future.

Chuck Hoffman

• Like 2

Chuck, I completely understand those that live close to here are more affected by this change.  However, when you say that our members have not asked us to pursue this, it is a statement not borne out of much background.  Letters from regions, members, meetings that members spoke out (including Philly) have advised us to take the name back.  Our board members have received this comment loud and clear.  Our legal counsel have weighed in as well. It is far more complicated then you might think and allowing someone to use your name that has no affiliation makes little sense. I would ask you whether you want someone else to use your name or your business's name?  Probably not as you have zero control over the possible messages.   Add all of this to plans that are in the works that cannot be divulged at this time and you have the formula for "why".  Again, I can tell you that your board made this decision with a heavy heart but in the end future plans are affected and the board unanimously approved this action.

As David said, most people are tired of hearing about this and with the car season coming up just want to enjoy the hobby. I do not want to continue the debate either. This whole affair has not been enjoyable for me, our staff or the board.  With three new major collections either here or on the way for our library and space an issue we must move forward with plans.  We have cars that are being donated that must receive a good home.  We all need to do what is best for the future of the club.  The club is rolling up their sleeves and getting on with the work.

• Like 6

Guest JimJones

Its my understanding that over the years, the Museum has often complained that passing tourists have no idea what AACA is, and for that reason they entertained changing the name to The Auto Museum at Hershey,....Why now do they want to hang on to it? Change it. It makes sense now that we know they don't want to be a true part of AACA,....unless they wish to confuse donors, continue the foolishness,  and use the name when its expedient for fundraising and car donations. They aren't AACA and apparently have no desire to be.

The Club started in 1935, long before there was even a thought to the palace on the hill. If anyone has built an edifice to themselves its the Museum Board. Their portraits etc. adorn the place,....... I haven't been recently, but I see none of that at the Library and Headquarters...just saying that it warrants a thought as to what the priorities are for the Museum Board. When have you seen the Museum at any of our events, apart from moving a few cars several blocks to participate in the Hershey Fall Meet...where have they been...?? not at AACA National Meets.....they have been at concours events...think again folks. What does the Museum do for the club  and the rest of the membership outside of PA? They need to move on, and so do we. It's car season and I'm tired of this.

Edited by JimJones (see edit history)

3 hours ago, JimJones said:

... and I'm tired of this.

I fully agree, Jim.  Why the OP did not ask the Museum directly about changing the name is beyond me.   This thread was fading so nicely until it was resurrected...please trust Steve and the Directors to handle it.

Peter J.

• Like 3

Over my many years of dealing with car clubs, museums, and non profits I have found a very direct and quick way to get both egos back to the table. It is very simple stop writing your checks to both. MONEY talks volumes.

Stop sending year end donations to the museum, stop donating cars and memorabilia, hit them where it hurts $$$$'s

As far as the AACA stop paying dues, stop donating to the library and the board will get the message. "Get back to the TABLE!!!"

As far as those folks that donated to the museum,you should know once a board get their hooks on your donation they only see it as money in the bank. Crawford is a prime example. I was employed by Harrah's Automobile Collection in its prime and even Harrah's sold donated cars and parts, they all do.

What I see from all the 23 pages of dribble is Ego's Ego's Ego's

So both boards are derelict in their responsibility to protect the memberships interest and to solve the problem. Sounds more like Washington DC with every post. Lots of he said she said and they both point their fingers in the opposite direction and say NOT ME!!!!

As past National President of the Horseless Carriage Club I have been through numerous board battles some we won some we lost. During my term we were faced with law suits regarding actions of the previous board and a President. When it got to the point no one could agree, we found neutral parties that would each protect both sides, gave them autonomy and let them settle the differences. In the end all was settled neither side got everything but both sides shook hands and welcomed each other into the fold .

I suggest both boards swallow their oversized ego's, and each find a neutral professional arbitrator of their choice and let the professionals do their job. It's obvious to me neither board has the memberships interests in site. If this is not acceptable to the board then we as members have the ultimate option  the BALLOT BOX. Vote em' out and start over with a new slate of board members. I'm a firm believer of term limits 1 term and out you go.

just sayin'

Howard Musolf

Life Member, HCCA, AACA

Past National HCCA President

• Like 2

Howard , I thought AACA asked to submit to arbitration. Museum refused. I have read the above over time. My old memory has proved fallible these days , but I don't have the energy to pick through this again. Oh.  Wait ! I can just use the search box for "arbitration". Let's see. 1 year limit ? I think in the case of Museum 6 months would have been about right. Might have kept officious pompous folk from self agrandizing cynicism. I respect our AACA very much , and can't really find fault with us. I also admire your vast experience in so many aspects of the hobby over a long time. Is it possible to force an unwilling party to arbitration ? Sounds like a good trick to me. In any case , I have no beef with AACA , and I will not be withholding my dues. With highest respect and gratitude for your service and expertise , C Carl

P.S. : Have you been able to find that Ferrari you were hunting ? If so , which one did you find ? 

• Like 1

There are errors in your thinking Brasscarguy.

Only the AACA Club's Board is Member Elected, the Museum's Board is self Appointed by their Board, not elected. 

Only AACA Club membership allows us to Show at the AACA Events such as Fall Hershey and the Grand Nationals. If we don't pay dues we are no longer members.
This would hinder the events which totally depend on members to volunteer and show up at. Worst case example the Fall Hershey Meet could be canceled if unsupported.

The Museum however does not require membership to continue as a Museum, nor does it depend exclusively on AACA Club Members' donations, or Support. Worst case the Museum could sell donated Cars they have, or commercial property they own and claim is worth a Million Dollars for 2 or 3 acres.

You mentioned the AACA Library  and suggested we stop donations to the Library? The Library has a space problem. The AACA Club Supports the Library where as the Museum does not support the Library, IMO.  

Your on target with your comment talking about the Museum, "As far as those folks that donated to the museum,you should know once a board get their hooks on your donation they only see it as money in the bank".  I agree this is most likely true but not the case with the Club's Board which I believe has the Memberships full support, as it has mine.. 

Edited by Doug Novak (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, brasscarguy said:

I suggest both boards swallow their oversized ego's, and each find a neutral professional arbitrator of their choice and let the professionals do their job. It's obvious to me neither board has the memberships interests in site. If this is not acceptable to the board then we as members have the ultimate option  the BALLOT BOX. Vote em' out and start over with a new slate of board members. I'm a firm believer of term limits 1 term and out you go.

just sayin'

Howard Musolf

Life Member, HCCA, AACA

Past National HCCA President

brasscarguy,

I realize in all of the pages it was easy for you to miss some of the important details.

While I am tired of discussing this issue and feel like I am beating a dead horse... I will hit a couple of the issues in your post.

First, The Club's representatives to the Merger Committee attempted to get the Museum's representatives to agree to use outside Mediators. The Museum Board rebuffed their effort. The Club's representatives even agree to resign and allow a new Merger Committee to be formed. the Museum Board also rebuffed that effort. 

Second, The Museum Board is not elected. You can't "Vote em' out. They control their own destiny. In fact, they voted the AACA's Representative to their board off of their board. There are many other facts that make it clear to me that the AACA Board took the right action. It is a shame that they had to take that action but they did.

I hope that in the future the Museum Board changes to the point that the Club and the Museum can again peacefully work together in a similar cooperative method as they have in the past. Now is not that time. I will continue to support the club and urge you to review the facts and do the same.

• Like 2

I know this may  come across as harsh but personally I couldn't care less if the museum never opened its doors again.  I have been a member of AACA since the early 90s and have been to the museum once and that was 2 years ago.  It was okay but I wasn't overly impressed (maybe it takes a lot LOL).  I will remain an AACA member without the connection with the museum as it is of little benefit to me personally - of course being over 600 miles away doesn't help any.

From what I have read, it is obvious the Museum board wants nothing to do with the AACA. I have always been one to never beg anyone to like me who doesn't or try to convince someone to be my friend who has no desire to be so my theory is, let's move on and enjoy what the AACA has and forget those who don't want to be part of us. 

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reading all these posting.  Have led me to ask a question.

One of the biggest fund raising  events that the museum holds each year, is "Night at the Museum."  With no support  from the National, they will have to buy ads in the AACA  magazine on their own.

My question, will the National let them buy a ad in the AACA magazine?