Too much gas!

GaryP65

I have spent a lot of time getting my Dodge back on the road after at least 50 years. I had carb problems. Leaking etc. I suggest you clean the outside of the carb and then turn the fuel on. Check carefully to see where the fuel is leaking from. I made new gaskets for my carb [ 23 Stewart carb ] but after a time I found that it still leaked. In the end, it was a stuff it moment and I ended up applying a very small amount of petrol resistant sealer to both sides of that lower body gasket. That fixed the leak. Later, I found fuel leaking from the bottom plug on the carb body and that turned out to be that it wasn't tight enough. Tightening it That fixed that. I have been driving the car up and down our neighbours drive way this after noon and the car was running quite nicely.  One of the things the manual doesn't tell you is the fuel height in the float bowl. I went down and checked it and it was 1 inch below the top edge of the float bowl.  I used a Vernier caliper and a good torch. Fitted the edge of the caliper to the edge of the bowl and lowered the depth gauge till it just touched the fuel. That was the 1 inch. [ that seemed a good enough measurement as Dodge used mostly multiples of inch fractions in most of there measurements.  The exception was the 0.2 inch diameter of the securing pin at the front of the crank shaft that holds the 2 gears in place passing through the thrust ring. The other is the 0.4 inch square head of the 2 long bolts at the rear of the sump.

You should not have to adjust the float height unless someone has stuffed around with it.  Check to see the the needle and seat does seal.  I sucked on mine when it was apart and it held a vacuum. I once forgot to turn the fuel tap off, and the carb did not leak or overflow, proving the needle/seat was working correctly.

We are told these carbs are bullet proof. I have tended to prove that with all the work I have done to getting this engine up an running.

Be warned. Some advise you can find on the internet is a load of shit so be careful.  I was lead to believe the a 1/8 inch spark coming out of the mag was sufficient. [ I tested that in my lathe while the engine was being reconditioned ] It was not good enough,  and that added another delay to me getting the engine running. Cost nearly $1000.00 NZ but the mag is perfect now.

All the best to you from NZ

All the best.