SOLD - THANK YOU - TOW VEHICLE-2003 EDDIE BAUER EXPLORER 4X4

This is a nice Tow Vehicle for a modest sized trailer and vintage car:

2003 FORD EXPLORER EDDIE BAUER AUTOMATIC 4X4

This sweet NO-RUST SOUTHERN SUV Starts, Drives, and Stops like a dream:
Beautiful, Clean "Top-of-the-Line" white SUV with ALL THE EXTRAS

Fuel efficient 4.0L V-6 Flex-Fuel 
Automatic Transmission
Touch a button to engage 4-Wheel Drive (4WD)
or use Automatic All Wheel Drive
Supple Beautiful Perfect 2-Tone Leather Interior
Dual Power Seats with Lumbar Support and Recline
Memory Driver Seat (2-Positions) with Center Console
Dual Lighted Lighted Visor Vanity Mirrors
Overhead Front Console with Rear A/C Controls
Rear Passenger A/C-Heat Controls at Rear of Console
Triple Folding Center Row Seating with folding Third Seats
Under-Floor Stowage at Rear
Premium Sound System with CD/AM/FM/Cassette (Multi-Disc)
Steering Wheel Controls for Radio and Cruise Control
Premium Alloy Wheels
ABS - Anti-Lock Brake System
Ice-Cold Air Condition - Front AND Rear
Power Windows - Power Door Locks
Power Steering and Brakes
Tilt Steering Wheel
Dual Air Bags 
Running Boards
Roof Rack
Towing Package
Rear Wiper

Recent Maintenance:
- New Michelin Tires
- New Energizer Battery
- Complete "Front-End" Work, including 
- Upper & Lower Ball Joints and 4-Wheel Alignment
Major Tune-Up:
- Spark Plugs
- Spark Plug Wires
- Coil Pack
- Idle Air Control
- Coolant Flush - New Thermostat & Coolant
Minor dent to cover for right airbag from
rambunctious teen (not ours), not affecting safety
166,xxx well cared for miles

Dealer would list for $5,700 (NADA), 
But we must pay College Expenses, 
So Was Asking $4,495
Now reduced to ONLY $3,795
 of course Reasonable OFFERS would certainly be considered 

Photos are included in our Craigslist Ad:  

Additional photos available via email - click on my name at upper left of ad
Edited by Marty Roth
SOLD 2-16-2017 on this FORUM (see edit history)

I found a link which details the towing capability of the Explorer Eddie Bauer 4X4. This is a very capable, luxury version of the Explorer, with the economy of the 4.0 V-6 engine, well-serviced, and well-maintained - very nice condition inside and out - and always a Southern No-Rust SUV 4X4.

As mentioned above, photos can be found per our Craigslist Ad:

The hopeful buy has changed his mind, as we are a bit too far away from him.

Our Eddie Bauer Explorer 4X4 is still available.

I'm not sure which ratio it is, but I think, per the link posted, that the Eddie Bauer 4x4 may have only the 3.73 ratio which would allow a maximum of 7,000 lb.

Either way, I always recommend using an equalizer hitch for any towing because of the stability, no jerking and bouncing, sway control, and fabulous ride as if it were a 40 ft wheelbase. Are you familiar with equalizer hitches? I will only tow with it.

I am away from home until the middle of the week for a funeral of a cousin in Florida, but will ask my daughter to research it if possible to confirm. It is possible to get most info per VIN.

Thanks for looking. Unimogjohn's friend (a teacher) really wanted it but cannot take the time to fly down and drive it back this late in Christmas break. 

I hope hope he finds one as nice and with no rust - this truck appears to not have seen salt or snow!

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Thanks Robert,

As I noted, I'm not at home yet, returning from South Florida from a family funeral, and haven't had a chance to check the VIN and the specific rating.

I added the link which shows manufacturer ratings, but have not towed with that vehicle. It was aquired for our grandson, and was replaced by a super low-mileage Tahoe he'll use up and back to college 5 hours from home.

I'm a strong believer in having excess capacity. All three of my tow vehicles are 3/4 ton / 2500 series with either the GM 8.1L or Ford 7.3 Turbo-Diesel, but then again I'm towing big trailers and heavy cars.

I appreciate your comment, as well as your thoughtfulness to share experience. That is what this FORUM is all about. That said, the link does show that capability when using an equalizer hitch. My preference is to Always use the equalizer hitch, even on my quick efforts across town. It feels like a safety feature, at least to me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2016 at 1:32 PM, RansomEli said:

Marty, 

I'm looking for a truck to tow a 16' trailer with a light-weight antique car inside. What axle ratio does your towing package have?

The car looks like it's in great condition.

Per the tag on the differential, this Explorer 4x4 / Automatic 4-wheel-drive has a Differential code: "3L73" which decodes as a 3.73 differential ratio with a Locker-type option:

From the Explorer FORUM:

"have a metal tag that's attached to one of the the rear differential cover bolts. This tag will show what size axle and what ratio you have installed, (example;8.8 3L73 would be an 8.8 inch Ford rearend with 3.73 ratio the "L" will mean it has a locker of some sorts)."

Here    a   very curious   factor :    UHAUL   does  not    allow  towing  any  of  the trailers , dollies or  similar   with  a Ford  explorer. 

I  called   a  few   places  by   me   and   if  you  do  it  online  it  says  not    aval.  for   ford  explorer. 

I   dont  know   how   correct  that  info.  is  but   i  just  couldnt    rent  it .

I'm not sure which ratio it is, but I think, per the link posted, that the Eddie Bauer 4x4 may have only the 3.73 ratio which would allow a maximum of 7,000 lb.

Either way, I always recommend using an equalizer hitch for any towing because of the stability, no jerking and bouncing, sway control, and fabulous ride as if it were a 40 ft wheelbase. Are you familiar with equalizer hitches? I will only tow with it.

I am away from home until the middle of the week for a funeral of a cousin in Florida, but will ask my daughter to research it if possible to confirm. It is possible to get most info per VIN.

Thanks for looking. Unimogjohn's friend (a teacher) really wanted it but cannot take the time to fly down and drive it back this late in Christmas break.

• 2 weeks later...

This Eddie Bauer 4x4 is specifically set up for trailering. 

It it has the 3L73 which is the  LIMITED SLIP or "LOCKER" type with the 3.73:1 Ratio, both front and rear, giving the best possible towing ability. 

I'm not aware of U-Haul's concerns, but cannot imagine any problems since the factory set up is specific to safe trailering, and we always use an equalizer hitch for every towing situation - purely for safety and comfort. Maybe U-Haul uses that in case of a less capable configuration?

You see Explorers towing every manner of trailer whenever you hit the road.

25 minutes ago, Robert Street said:

2003 explorers are not approved to tow  u haul trailers  much later ones are;  about in 2012 or so I think.  this was caused by the suspension design of several years ago.

Robert

Thanks for your thoughts Robert. 

I've been towing for better than 57 years, am very aware of safety requirements, and would never suggest exceeding safe limits.

I'm content with the Ford Explorer's specifications, and know my Explorer is solid as designed. As previously noted, we generally tow with out 2500 Series vehicles.

Most of us with any real experience won't fool with U-Haul trailers as far as I know - and most of us learn, and respect our manufacturers specifications for our vehicles.

Maybe U-Haul knows that their clients are prone to overload their equipment.

In any event, I'm not proposing that anyone use a vehicle with which they are uncomfortable, to tow a U-Haul, or any other trailer.

We have all seen the ridiculous rigs swaying down the highway. 

Always keep safety as a primary objective

Marty,

Thank you for the call this afternoon. Very much enjoyed swapping stories !

Got a copy of the title from Charla this PM, so I can set up my insurance.

Will meet you Wednesday mid morning the 15th to do the deal.

Will need to visit your local DMV to secure temp tags for the drive back to Colorado.

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

Thank you Mike,

I also enjoyed today's conversation and look forward to your visit. 

Wishing you you safe travels - and bring your appetite, Dale and I have some neighborhood Mom & Pops' that locals ( and connoisseurs alike) prefer to the more pretentious (but also excellent) places. I hope you find New Orleans a fun diversion from Colorado winters.

Marty

Mike,

several of our RVer  friends like this location:

New Orleans West KOA

11129 Jefferson Hwy, River Ridge, LA 70123
(504) 467-1792

https://g.co/kgs/gfsjVi

It is clean - not fancy, relatively affordable, and safe. About 1/2 hour from downtown