Brush Magneto question and info needed

caddyshack

A question surfaced today and I lack documentation. What type of magnetos furnished on magneto equipped Brush auto's?

Would a Bosch DU-1, Model 5 work? My 1912 F Brush has an ignition switch marked MAG, OFF, BAT without a magneto or drive mechanism on the engine. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

Caddyshack the DU1 would be the correct one for a magneto equipped Brush although I am sure others could be used . I have a DU1 on my 1912 F26 but I unfortunately lack ( I lost them)  the connections to advance or retard the mag . Over the years guys have asked if there is anyone who has a working mag on a Brush to take pictures and post them but I have never seen any pictures . Apparently there are few Brush cars with mags or few guys who have them that read forums like this.The front part of your engine would need a bracket to hold the mag , internal and external gears and other parts . You also need the same valve cap plug that the spark plug goes in . My understanding , and how my car is set up , is that the engine has two spark plugs . One for starting on battery and one for switching over as soon as it starts and driving it while running off the mag . This is my understanding of a Brush with a mag . Hopefully somebody with more info than me will share their knowledge with everybody . 

Scott image.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Scott,

The info is very helpful. I have not seen a magneto installed on a Brush either. I do have a parts list that indicates magneto drives and various parts, but the magneto does not specify make, model, direction (c/cc). I have the same mag/batt switch that you furnished and no evidence that a mag was ever installed on my '12 F. The "oldcroak magneto" site has some great info regarding Bosch magnetos and I was curious if other brands were ever furnished on Brush's. On another site an owner of a 2-cyl Buick was having problems starting his engine with a mag only set-up. I thought that most one or two cyl. auto had a battery and mag set-up (one for starting and one for running). I am so used to model T set-ups that this early stuff is a learning experience.

Thanks again,

Skip 

• 1 month later...

Caddy shack...One thing that you have to confirm on the DU1 magneto is the rotation of the mag. As you know Brush motor is counter clockwise and so should the Mag be, as they are made in both rotations.  There will be an arrow on the rear rotating action which will show you the direction the mag is set for. there is no way to reverse it.