Now the wiper motor is bad

Beltfed

Before buttoning up the instrument panel I checked the wiper motor again and it will not turn the wipers with 18" of vacuum.  Gave up and called "wiper man" to send it for repair.  He said, "Oh no, not the infamous Lincoln wiper motor.  I can't do anything for that motor.  They should have never built it."  He went on to tell me all the problems this motor has.

So, I need to know what you guys do to solve this problem.  Is there someone who will take this project on?  Thanks.  

If your wiper motor hasn't been used in a long time, just lubricating it and the linkage may make it work again. First I would just remove the arms and blades and try the motor. If it works, let it run for a while to loosen up things. If it doesn't work, remove the motor and add a few drops of light oil into the vacuum port and operate the motor by hand several times to distribute the oil. Then connect it to a vacuum source and see if it will operate. If it does, re-install the motor, lubricate the linkage and drive around for a few days with the arms stored in the glove box. If it does not operate, then send it to:

Kent Jaquith, 2633 SW Obsidian # 15, Redmond, Oregon (541) 923-4319
Clean-Sweep Windshield Wiper Motor Service, Sales and Rebuilding

Another option is to remove the top cover, clean the crud and hard grease out and lube the paddle and cavity with Vaseline or another non-hardening grease.

I remove the wiper arms on my cars every spring and drive with the wipers on, to keep the lubricant spread out in the motor. Then if I get caught in the rain, I just install the arms and the wipers work. I also lube the linkage every spring, but it is easier on my cars than on the Zephyr.

I've already jumped through all the hoops as far as lube and such.  I even spent time to make new gaskets.  I'm going to reverse my vacuum pump this morning to see if and where it may be losing vacuum.  I've already checked the 'paddle' for leaks and it passed.  

I call your suggested source.  Thank you.

I have used a spring scale to adjust the steering box worm gear on several cars.  I have never seen any data, nor a procedure, on checking the wiper arms/towers for maximum allowable torque.  Is there a procedure or is it the old 'German torque' thing?

• 1 month later...

In the latest issue of the club magazine there is an article in there written by Tom Lerch long time club member.  There are three holes on that vacuum motor that need to be open, very small holes.  Mine had two of them plugged.  Lubricate with ATF fluid, move it around and it will probably be ok, mine was after this.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I did not see this post much earlier.  I've also used  Mr. Jaquith with my 1937 vacuum motor after hearing from Wiper Man on how they were a terrible original design and could never be fixed.  Mr. Jaquith did a fantastic job!  My "junk" wiper motor runs like new!