Differential for a 1920 Stephens Salient Six

Restoring a 1920 Stephens Salient Six. The rear axle from Stan Par is worn out.

These rear axles were used during 1920 only and I think it’s no idea looking for a Stan Par axle.

However, in 1921 the Stan Par rear axles were replaced with identical axles from Timken. The differential seems to be the same. See the pictures from the Stephens Sales brochure. Remember that other brands may have used this Timken rear axle!

1. So if you have a differential that fits a Stephens with a 1921 Timken rear axle, please let me know!

Original.jpg

1921 Timken rear axle Dimensions.jpg

The differential removed.jpg

The rear axle.jpg

Pat 5 12 14.jpg

The Ring gear Identification.jpg

The pinion Identification.jpg

Cracked pinion.jpg

Bakaxel Pinjong kilspår.jpg

Stephens rear axle smaller picture krympt.jpg

The differential.jpg

Broken differential spider.jpg

3 hours ago, just me said:

Have this Timken rear end. Would guess it's 1915 or later. Located in Ohio. Charleytimkenyellow 001.JPG

There were several different  types of Timken rear axles at the market and I am not sure that your rear axle will fit my Stephens.   Is your rear axle of the full floating type?

I think the Timken axles were used on about 9000 cars during the period 1921 to 1924. The ratio was 4,75.

timkenyellow 002.JPGtimkenyellow 003.JPG

On 2016-12-07 at 9:02 PM, john ullrich said:

Looking at your patent date May of 14 on the Timken axle, do you believe that the Timken rear axles from that age forward may suit your needs, if so Cadillac used them and  may be able to help as they are available.

There were a lot of different Timken rear axles. Did Cadillac use full floating axles?  Have seen a 1913 rear axle but it did not fit. The StanPar and Timken axles were of the semi floating type. I think the StanPar and the 1921 rear axles were identical att the inside. May be up to 1924 when the production of the Stephens was interupted. The pictured axles is Cadillac.

caddilac 009.jpg

1920 Stephens as found.jpg

Cadillac.JPG

Edited by Claes Rocklin (see edit history)

Hollander listed interchange of parts among various makes, as many cars were assembled in the era. Post in the general forum, you should get an answer from someone with an interchange lost for the rear. Ed

• 3 years later...

Still looking for a matching rear axle that fits my 1920 Stephens Salient Six. The original StanPar axle is a worn out . Cracked pinion , broken differential spider and so on. The left rear hub and axle shaft are damaged as a result of careless driving car with a loose rear hub. The springs are a mix from different cars and  must be renewed.

Stephens.jpg

stephens Ö kalix.JPG

The cracked rear hub.jpg

The rear hub.jpg

Cracked rear hub.jpg

Broken differential spider.jpg

Stephens rear axle cover 001.jpg

Stephens rear axle StanPar.jpg

Scan Kronhjul Stephens.jpg

Springs Stephens.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...