jeff_a

Elcar

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

For eight grand, it’s worth buying just to say you owned a CCCA Classic Elcar. If the car were on the east coast I would probably consider it. Sadly, at that price, a street rod would certainly consider it as an option. Rare and unusual doesn’t mean expensive. 

Ed, I agree, the car needs a ton of work, but a running Classic for 8K is fun!  It's a shame the fellow who inherited it has no interest, but that's the way it goes.....

As far as making a hot rod out of it, if I were of that ilk I'd surely look for something with a little more styling to rod.....

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

For eight grand, it’s worth buying just to say you owned a CCCA Classic Elcar. If the car were on the east coast I would probably consider it. Sadly, at that price, a street rod would certainly consider it as an option. Rare and unusual doesn’t mean expensive. 

I agree with you completely, Ed. 

What happened to that old chesnut: ``Nobody but millionaires can afford to buy CCCA Classics.´´?

On 10/19/2017 at 12:53 PM, cars of chaos said:

I became interested in the Elcar after reading the Hemmings article mentioned earlier in this thread. Of course, the real trick is finding one of these for sale. I am interested in finding one, even an unrestored project. I'm in New Jersey. These are such fascinating and (sadly) largely ignored pieces of automobile history. 

There will be an auction in Ohio this August with 2 Elcars. The Lloyd Young estate sale, held by Mike Clum Auctions(www.clumauctions.com). AUG 10th &11th 2018, near Columbus.

An outstanding set of cars, catalog not out til May[also Buick, MG Midget, REO, Cadillac, Ford, Pierce-Arrow, Peerless, Packard, Templar, Baker, Franklin, Marmon]. Looks like a Coupe and a Sedan, nice condition, 1924 and 1926, based on the preliminary photos.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

I got to meet Lloyd once, but didn't know they had Elcars, too. Thanks for posting the photo: looks like a new car! Did you see the '22 Elcar some one has for sale on the Car For Sale Forum(last post 4/22/18)?

No, I had not seen the '22 K6 coupe for sale (I have to admit that I rarely get into the forums)... nice little car. God knows why he sent me to Mexico... otherwise I would have a much larger collection! I would certainly get that car for the price mentioned.... but not possible from down here as importing a car legally is tremendously expensive these days.

One more car for my Elcar picture collection. Thanks for pointing it out.

The pictures of the '22 Elcar are deceptive, I think. My guess is that the coupe is pretty big, height-wise. I know someone went to a lot of trouble to pose with "The Tramp" Charlie Chaplin impersonator, but it takes away from the kind of car it is, along with the faded paint.  From a long ways away it looks like just another Model "T" or Dodge but it was a higher grade car...I think you'll agree. We are(maybe wrong word since I've never owned one) getting enough discussion about Elcar, maybe there ought to be an Elcar Forum now.

1 hour ago, jeff_a said:

I know someone wth "The Tramp" Charlie Chaplin impersonator, but it takes away from the kind of car it is, along with the faded paint. 

You read my  mind Jeff.

Jeff: I think an Elcar forum would not get much movement. It is only a handful of interested guys with a bit more than a handful of surviving cars... and yes!, the car seems rather tall and large.

I am posting a pic of the coupe for sale, since these thread has been also working as an "Elcar inventory". 😉

1922 K6 serial 3563

1922 Elcar K6 Coupe, 2.JPG

Edited by v.milke (see edit history)

For future reference and researchers of Elcars The 1928 Elcar 8-78, A7K88, Sedan, on ebay 2016 sold for $7600 and was shipped overseas (not sure where) for restoration. I purchased and now own A5R89 a 1927 8-82 5 pass sedan. I am always interested in parts or even another Elcar for restoration if anyone has any in the future. Wouldn't mind connecting with other Elcar owners also. Jonathan

On 4/26/2018 at 5:03 PM, v.milke said:

No, I had not seen the '22 K6 coupe for sale (I have to admit that I rarely get into the forums)... nice little car. God knows why he sent me to Mexico... otherwise I would have a much larger collection! I would certainly get that car for the price mentioned.... but not possible from down here as importing a car legally is tremendously expensive these days.

One more car for my Elcar picture collection. Thanks for pointing it out.

What if someone had a 30m yacht in Los Angeles and took this car with him to a car show in Cabo San Lucas or Agua Caliénte. He drives it around a little after the car show and a hotel owner buys it to display in his lobby as a static display, not to drive. Then you happen along awhile later and buy it from him, maybe paying a 10% sales tax. Would any laws be broken, or would there be a 200% import tax on this used car, like my teacher said was assessed on him bringing a new refrigerator and washing machine to a Mexican friend in 1975?