early roadster body like Stutz bearcat

Bob Scafani

• 7 months later...
Guest Templar Recruiter

Mr. Bob Scafani-

Appreciate your post - sorry for our delayed response-

I was just made aware of your Post about the Roadster Body!

A few observations about your  Roadster Body- from the Templar Motors perspective!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without measurements - if only looks count - it is in the Ballpark for considerations-

Things Change over the years so please find our comments about the Roadster Body

you have Posted about-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENTS & OBSERVATIONS ABOUT YOUR ROADSTER BODY-

1) Templar Motors Roadster had no Doors from 1918-1921

2!) Starting in 1921 Roadster Models, Templar added the Left Door in 1921 - Check for Templar!

3) Starting in 1921 all Templar Motors Cars had a Cowl Vent(Mfg.-Petry Vent) - no Vent on this Body - possible 1918-21 Body? - not a killer - potential Check for Templar 1918-1921 - have seen both -with & without!

4) Templar Motors Car's Chassis have a 118" wheelbase  - so your measurement of the Roadster Body to be approx. 102" is within reach of 118" - still possible - Check for Templar!

5) Templar Motors - Coach/Body builders for Roadsters were - Hudson Body - Lang - Ohio Blower - Rubay - Central of Indiana - Brunn - potential Check for Templar! Any Body Tags or Stampings on Body?

6) Templar Motors Roadster have a Golf Club Door on the Drivers Side/ Leftside of the Body for US Market - no check! 

7) Templar was an International Company with over 130 Dealers Worldwide - a Right Hand Drive Templar Motors

Roadster does exist -- so maybe the Golf Club Door on the Rightside of the Body could be explained as a Roadster for Overseas delivery - possible Check for Templar! Door looks like the right size! Check for Templar!

8) The Roadster Body in your pictures has two stud mounts on the Body (one on each side) for the Convertible Top, however, Templar had another Top System which was

a recessing Bar mechanism which had two holes in the Body to recess - this Option was supposed to be continue so the Customer could revert back to the

Old Top System, the Bar assembly could of been removed and holes patched over - potential check for Templar Motors!.

9) In 1922 - Templar Motors Roadster's Spare Tire Mount was moved to the Rear Bumper and Mounted on Bumper and a Circular piece of Luggage was added

in its place to complete the new Templar Roadster Deluxe - so this type of Spare Tire Mount was used on Templar Motors Roadster Body 1918-1921. - potential Check for Templar!

10) All Templar Motors Bodies are Aluminum ! - check for Templar!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks very interesting!  A lot of elements to consider with some elements leaning towards Templar Motors - again things changes over time!

The measurements will help confirm weather the Roadster Body is Templar - to the eye it's  form - fit - and function points towards Templar!

I have pictures of Templar Motors Roadsters and would  be glad to help with further

information and dimensions. Let me know how I can help?

Good Luck & call me! Thank you!

Best Regards,

Dave Buehler

Templar Motors Factory Display

Lakewood, Ohio  44107

www.templarmotors.com

216-392-3000 (Cell - for Bus. - Ok to leave Message))

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance that '31 era Chrysler Radiator shell in foreground is for sale? I'm interested in a shell for the 8cyl model, CD8, your's appears from what I can see to be for a 6 cyl, perhaps CM Model. While shells look the same to the casual observer, there are many differences, location of headlight bar holes, diameter of ornament hole, width of beading on face next to grill, method of securing grill to shell, mounting bracket and its location, depth of shell (CD8 shell is about 1.125" deeper) .... Cheers

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

In addition to the dimensions of the CD-8 grille shell being different from the CM model, the CD-8 insert has moveable louvers to allow an increase and decrease of airflow when the engine is running.  The CM model has fixed louvers.

Earlier I read a comment regarding using the CD-8 4 spd transmission as a form of overdrive, the four speed is a 3 spd with an extra compound low gear, great for steep hills at slow speed and driving in a parade, otherwise fairly useless.  The rear end has 4.10 gears and really needs some form of overdrive.  I know others have asked about the 1937-39 Mopar 6 cyl overdrives, I have several of them and they do not fit in a CD-8, everything on the CD-8, including the transmission is significantly larger.  I have not located an Airflow 8 cyl overdrive transmission, so, I do not know if they fit.