Stearns Knight

alsancle

On 9/18/2017 at 9:23 PM, alsancle said:

So this looks like an 8-90 as they have some engine shots and the body is now back on the chassis.   Mike Gassman and I grew up together but I haven't seen him in 35 years.  It looks like he's doing a great job on the Stearns.

I talked to the owner of this car last week.  Horrible story.   Car is a H-8-90 and was the only known 5 passenger coupe.  Burned completely to the ground.

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/Fire-on-Spring-Hill-Rd-destroys-building-behind-home-558854301.html

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 7:25 PM, alsancle said:

I talked to the owner of this car last week.  Horrible story.   Car is a H-8-90 and was the only known 5 passenger coupe.  Burned completely to the ground.

https://www.whsv.com/content/news/Fire-on-Spring-Hill-Rd-destroys-building-behind-home-558854301.html

VERY sorry to hear of this loss; especially where there are no other surviving examples around.

Craig

On 1/21/2020 at 8:11 PM, Matt Harwood said:

It's a Knight sleeve valve--if it's not smoking, it's broken. And if it's a former Aseltine car, the mechanicals are going to be right. Nobody knew more about these cars than he.

If it’s not smoking it’s broken.......yes. If it’s running, it’s gonna brake.......unfortunately they used a pot metal oil pump housing. If you buy a car, your going to need to machine a new oil pump from brass or aluminum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

If it’s not smoking it’s broken.......yes. If it’s running, it’s gonna brake.......unfortunately they used a pot metal oil pump housing. If you buy a car, your going to need to machine a new oil pump from brass or aluminum.

So,   my knight engine guru is telling me that any of the knight engined cars that have the later skinner rectifier won't smoke if they are correctly working.

They can’t smoke if the don’t run!

They all smoke.........when the motor is just rebuilt, they smoke the most. I haven’t played with them enough to make any determination as to the validity of that statement. I know of a 100 percent synthetic oil that is smokeless when burned.........it’s 28 dollars a quart. Not sure if it is appropriate for a sleeve valve. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, edinmass said:

. I know of a 100 percent synthetic oil that is smokeless when burned.........it’s 28 dollars a quart. Not sure if it is appropriate for a sleeve valve. 

link please.  Multiple viscosity’s?  I know back in the day, 50 weight valvoline racing oil cured a lot of smoke issues.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2016 at 5:32 PM, mikewest said:

Here is a 29 6cyl model sport coupe I pulled from a 50 year plus slumber last year. Ive known about the car about 15 years but things changed with the family that they decided to sell. Its in great original condition and the motor isn't stuck. The tool roll was still under the seat. It was last on the road in 1948. The car has landau irons in the rumble seat area  that had been removed  as well the bumpers.

stearns.jpg

Here it is sometime around 1948 while still on the road.   I stumbled on to it in my pile of pictures.

1928StearnsKnight.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mikewest said:

Where was this picture taken?? Ar eyou saying its the same car from Geneva , NY??

Thinking about it,  this photo came out of a box of about 200 pictures taken in the 40s and 50s in the North East and Penn area.  Quite possible that it was taken somewhere in NY.    None had writing and I don't know who took them.

I'm 90% sure it is the same car.

21 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

AJ

Interesting '29 M-6-80 cabriolet, the chassis spec's read the same as the Willys-Knight Model 66A.  Wonder if that body is by Phillips Custom Body of Warren, Ohio?

Mike said in an earlier post that it was either Phillips or Murray and had a badge on the cowl.  Maybe he can chime in if he remembers.

• 2 weeks later...

Great car, unusual and interesting. Too bad about AJ’s mug ruining the photo. The young man next to him is a very nice gentleman.........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I have suggested a C3 corvette to AJ for the boy a few times.  Maybe he wants to start him higher on the food chain.. 🙂

Steve, funny you should mention that as he loved the L89 RM was selling.   I’ve developed an affinity for the 69 N14 cars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

A.J.

That Stearns-Knight Brunn would be the prefect stablemate for your REO Royale Dietrich sport sedan, both with wonderful proportions, both one-of-a-kind, both sole survivors.  

I'm trying to come up with the reasons to buy it as the reasons not to buy it beat you in head.   But it does check all my boxes.   The Stearns guys - all 6 of them 😄 are super nice and helpful.   Sort of like married couples convincing other people to get married and have lots of kids.   The water is fine,  come on in.

Speaking of Stearns guys,  Al Giddings,  who built the touring car and restored the only known Cabriolet shared a bunch of pictures with me and gave me permission to post them here.  I'll get them up shortly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2016 at 1:58 PM, John_Mereness said:

One of my dad's very first employees (a good friend and avid model railroader too), Dave Bell, drove a 1929 Stearns Knight 6 Cylinder Coupe - I believe it had a Robbins body and was very similar to the green 6 cyl coupe pictured above (excepting wooden wheels and a rear mount spare).  The body was mostly aluminum.  And, it was maroon with black fenders and natural wood  wheels - original interior.  Black long grain top - with landau irons. He drove the car everywhere and it was weekend regular in our driveway in the late 60's and early 70's.

Kendalls Stearns.jpg

• Like 2