Jetfire question

mcdarrunt

I have a 215 Jetfire engine with a pressure box over the entire carburetor. Any rod or tube runs through a grommet/seal. Was this a very early version? Others I've seen have a duct to a cap on the carb or the entire turbo and carb assembly fit right onto the manifold. Thank you;

Evan

11 hours ago, mcdarrunt said:

I have a 215 Jetfire engine with a pressure box over the entire carburetor. Any rod or tube runs through a grommet/seal. Was this a very early version? Others I've seen have a duct to a cap on the carb or the entire turbo and carb assembly fit right onto the manifold. Thank you;

Evan

No, you don't have a Jetfire engine. You have some aftermarket blow-through system that was not built by GM.  Pressurized carbs in supercharged applications are not uncommon and there was (and is) a lot of aftermarket hardware to implement this. The factory-built Jetfires only used the draw-through carb upstream of the turbo.

There were some Paxton-supercharged Shelby Mustangs, circa 1965, that had a pressurized carb "box" on them.  If you put the boost through the carb's air horn, fuel would be pushed out the carb's float bowl vent, which is not good.   With the pressurized box enclosing the carburetor, the carb would work just like it was in normal atmosphere, usually. 

Is the carb still OEM?  Or is it something else?  Just curious. If that engine had a belt-driven supercharger, which is obviously not there now, you might find some evidence of "marks" where bolts/brackets used to be on the engine and OEM pulleys.

Any other unusual aspects of that engine?

NTX5467

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with previous post. Need photos. The two-barrel 215 in the 1961 F-85 came with an unusual air cleaner that covers the entire carburetor, all the way down to a raised circular rim on the intake manifold. The linkage goes through a small opening at the bottom of the air cleaner. Not sure if this arrangement was used on the 1962s. I have several 215 Oldsmobile engine parts if anyone needs something: cyl, heads, intake manifolds, carburetors, bell housings, exhaust manifolds, clutch and pressure plate.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

The Jetfire used a sidedraft Rochester type R or type RC carburetor with some interesting controls/extras.

Studebaker tried some interesting blower set-ups about the same time. Some airbox, some sealed carburetors. The early Studebaker blowers used Stromberg type WW, while the later applications used Carter type AFB's.

Jon.