1948 Jeepster

victorialynn2

Hey guys, you were all so helpful with information on the Spyder, I thought I'd see if you have any sage advice about this Jeepster. I know that it was running and dad was driving it, (I have pictures), but it has been sitting a while. The body is in the back garage, the interior is in the front, probably to keep it away from mice. There are also quite a lot of parts here and there. I plan on cleaning it up, airing up the tires, and assembling as much as possible for pictures to market it for sale.

I'm just looking for any info that might help me understand the car, the potential buyer, what's important for this model, etc. Any information is very much appreciated. As you know, there's no school where I can take a crash course in old car dealings, LOL. So far all I know is what I found here: http://www.jeepsterjim.com/history.php 

TIA for any info. ~Victoria

File_000 (1).jpg

IMG_0098.JPG

Cleaning it up is fine, but the big deal is getting it running.  An even bigger deal is getting it driving.  There's a BIG difference between merely getting a car  running and actually being able to get it going down the road (driving).  The value of a running/driving car far exceeds that of a car that just sits there ... even though it may look pretty.  Another really BIG deal is condition.  In a "plain Jane" car such as the Jeepster, the main part of condition is rust.  How much is there?  The photos that you've provided show little apparent rust, which makes a vehicle all that more valuable, even it it's not running.  To sum up my advice (which is of limited value), for a given marque, a drivable, rust free car is the most desirable/valuable of all.  Every thing else is worth somewhat less.

With that said, although I know little about them,  I think that Jeepsters are pretty desirable as collectible vehicles.

Good luck,

Grog

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, capngrog said:

Cleaning it up is fine, but the big deal is getting it running.  An even bigger deal is getting it driving.  There's a BIG difference between merely getting a car  running and actually being able to get it going down the road (driving).  The value of a running/driving car far exceeds that of a car that just sits there ... even though it may look pretty.  Another really BIG deal is condition.  In a "plain Jane" car such as the Jeepster, the main part of condition is rust.  How much is there?  The photos that you've provided show little apparent rust, which makes a vehicle all that more valuable, even it it's not running.  To sum up my advice (which is of limited value), for a given marque, a drivable, rust free car is the most desirable/valuable of all.  Every thing else is worth somewhat less.

With that said, although I know little about them,  I think that Jeepsters are pretty desirable as collectible vehicles.

Good luck,

Grog

Thank you. I have cleaned up several of my father's cars and gotten them all running with little effort before selling. (New battery, flush fuel, clean out carb, change oil, etc.) I'm guessing the ones I'm working on now have sat a little longer, but I really don't know. 

These cars have very little rust. My father has collected and sold them for over 60 years. Sadly he has Alzheimer's now, and can not help me out. My biggest challenge is finding someone with the time to work on them, dealing with an estate 2000+ miles from home, getting them cleaned up and learning what makes each one special. 

I may be able to help with the Jeepster.  I've had a '48 for 7 years, and had a '49 from 1981-2015.

They are mechanically very robust if not powerful, and mechanical parts are easy to find and generally inexpensive. Body parts are getting rather difficult to find in good condition. 

Many, if not most, of these have been repowered (but not mine); does this one have a Willys 4 or 6?  The 6 was introduced very late in the '48 run, which began in June 1948. When I know which engine, I can provide tune-up specs.

I can tell you more from the serial number, on '48s that should be on a brass plate affixed to the vertical portion of the firewall in the passenger compartment, on the passenger side--but may be concealed by a heater if present. On '49s, the plate is under the "lip" running across the dash above the instruments, on the passenger side--you'll have to look up from the floor to see.

What is the condition of the floors?  Rust is usual, and floor pans are being reproduced.  The plastic steering wheels are also being reproduced, fairly inexpensively.

Is the rest of the body as straight as the left side?  How about a photo of the instrument cluster and dash panel.

Like the Corvairs, the Jeepsters don't bring much money UNLESS they've had concours restorations.

The Willys-Overland Jeepster Club (WOJC) can be found at www.jeepster.club.com  There is also Midstates Jeepster Assn (MJA).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Is the rest of the body as straight as the left side?  

The Willys-Overland Jeepster Club (WOJC) can be found at www.jeepster.club.com  There is also Midstates Jeepster Assn (MJA).

Thank you Grimy, I will find the number tomorrow and do some checking. I will see if I can get some more pictures also. Yes, the other side is also nice. I have the VIN handy if that will tell you anything?

Thanks for the links! 

Correction to link: it's www.jeepsterclub.com (no period between 'jeepster' and 'club'

Both of my Jeepsters were titled by the engine numbers rather than chassis number, as was the custom in some states.

The chassis number is best, but please do send what's on the title.  If it's a '48 it will start with 463 if it is/was a 4 cyl and 663 if a 6 cyl.

Jeepster prices are very varied and 100% based on condition since they are all basically the same (except for the few 6 bangers).  Jeepster Jim trades more of them then anyone.  So a rough jeepster can bring 2k while I have a friend that paid Jeepster Jim 48k for a perfect one.   Like all cars, restoring yours would put you underwater by 50% of the value of the car.  

Low retail is still for a running, safely drivable car.  Start with the low retail price and deduct for all the cost to get it running and street drivable.  This includes tires, brake overhaul, fuel system overhaul at a minimum.  If you live in a state with safety inspections it should pass inspection as well to try to achieve the low retail price.

49 minutes ago, 61polara said:

Low retail is still for a running, safely drivable car.  Start with the low retail price and deduct for all the cost to get it running and street drivable.  This includes tires, brake overhaul, fuel system overhaul at a minimum.  If you live in a state with safety inspections it should pass inspection as well to try to achieve the low retail price.

I have an offer from someone who has seen it for 10K as is. I may throw a battery in, reassemble it, have a local mechanic get the motor going like he did with my dad's other cars and clean up the custom paint and market it on eBay. When I did that with the other cars, they went for a good price. It's just a matter of where I spend my time and how fast I can finish this project and go home. Of course there is a possibility that there is something wrong with it, but so far that hasn't been the case. My father has a reputation for keeping his cars in good order. I suspect if there was an issue he would have been working on it because it was redone and running and driving. Time will tell.

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Custom paint, upholstry is like new. It's hard to see how nice the body is, (and no rust), because it's so dirty in the pic. Either way, I will be happy. I honestly don't think it will take much to get it running. I've sold 5 cars already and they all fire right up with new battery and fresh gas, oil., etc. The Corvairs needed a little carb work, but that was it. 

Also, I don't have to sell them all and something tells me this one might be good to hang onto if I have to. I'm more interested in selling the 55 Chevy, 50 Ford 2 Door, and 78 Lincoln Town Car. People who see these cars in person, even a buddy who owns 50+ cars himself, remark that they are really nice.  I do realize they are worth what someone will pay. Some I am just more motivated to sell.

11 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Thanks for the links Nick. I think they ruined that Jeepster with that color... Yuck! :(

I agree on PU, I really like it too!

Me too . I just like a good old 4X4.. It must be a kid thing to me.... Trucks..

I used a 4x4 to pull out 30 car from the barn with a log chain.. four year ago..  I love the hooks on the front..

mopwill.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Did I ever tell you my dad gave me a 4WD GMC pickup (with a plow) to drive in High School? Even took my driver's test in it. In the winter we plowed a turn around for his 18 wheeler. I had to raise and lower the plow in the winter and it had a chain I had to secure when I drove. LOL

I talk my dad in to buy a car.. Just because it had a snow plow on it..  I just wanted the car.. We still have it..

It is my fj40..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If you are interested in a little history the Jeepster was part of a post WW2 reconversion project for the Willys corporation. They hired industrial designer Brooks Stevens to help them change over from building army Jeeps to civilian transportation. The trouble was, Willys did not have their  own body plant and the only stamping equipment they could get, was usually used to make refrigerators and was limited to a 6" draw.

So Stevens drew on the army Jeep for inspiration and created the Willys station wagon. It debuted in 1946 and was the first all steel station wagon designed as such. Available in 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, it could be called the first SUV.

Stevens had a bee in his bonnet to create an open touring car without windup windows, a type of car that had been extinct in America for 10 years. That was the Jeepster. They let him build it but it was never very popular. Only  a few thousand were sold. But, since then, it has become a valuable collector's item.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I must be a tightwad despite the other cars in my collection, because I've had a Jeepster continually since 1981.  They are great fun to drive in a local environment, not so much for long freeway runs.  They have light steering, mechanical components are ready available and inexpensive (but use a modern driveshaft and U-joints rather than rebuild the original), and usually get more public attention on the road than my Pierces.  They look older than they are and perhaps "drive older" with the exception of the overdrive.  Wide whites (were standard equipment on 48-49), and red wheels with hubcaps and trim rings make these cars sporty in appearance. The 48-49 had a 30% overdrive with electrical kickdown standard, optional on 50-51 (51s were leftover 50s except for perhaps 9 units). The OD is needed with the 4.88 rear axle, but 60 is a comfortable cruising speed. Downside is considerable brake pressure required (no servo action) unless Studebaker brakes have been fitted.

My concern about this car is that her father removed the seats for some reason. I'll do that next winter to POR the floor and add some insulation, but usually that's done to repair ubiquitous rust in the floor pan caused by the jute under the factory floor mat retaining moisture. Replacement floor pans are available. To me, condition of the floor is the largest price consideration.  Perhaps he finished the floor but hadn't reinstalled the seats--so far we don't know.  At least with the seats out, it's easy to inspect.

Most Jeepsters have been modified to some degree. I looked at 19 of them during 1980-81 before buying my '49 which I sold last year--sold because I found a better 2-owner car locally, but I was still having fun with the '49. Few are restored for serious show competition, and those are the $30K and up sales you see.  A nice driver is probably $12-20K. Of course, restoring ANY Sleeping Beauty / Rip Van Winkle car to service means brakes, tires, fuel tank & cooling system, etc., and that's the price downside. 

Fun cars which attract attention, easy buy-in, easy mechanical parts availability==perfect for the new retiree who's moderately handy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

so far you have shown cars collected by tightwads.

Bernie

Well, I'd classify my dad that way so it fits. LOL

What about this, is this something attracted by tightwads? :huh: I don't plan on selling it. '57 Ford Retractable. Runs and drives. Dad's current favorite. Retractable hard top works. 

57.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Grimy said:

My concern about this car is that her father removed the seats for some reason. I'll do that next winter to POR the floor and add some insulation, but usually that's done to repair ubiquitous rust in the floor pan caused by the jute under the factory floor mat retaining moisture. Replacement floor pans are available. To me, condition of the floor is the largest price consideration.  Perhaps he finished the floor but hadn't reinstalled the seats--so far we don't know.  At least with the seats out, it's easy to inspect.

Most Jeepsters have been modified to some degree. I looked at 19 of them during 1980-81 before buying my '49 which I sold last year--sold because I found a better 2-owner car locally, but I was still having fun with the '49. Few are restored for serious show competition, and those are the $30K and up sales you see.  A nice driver is probably $12-20K. Of course, restoring ANY Sleeping Beauty / Rip Van Winkle car to service means brakes, tires, fuel tank & cooling system, etc., and that's the price downside. 

Fun cars which attract attention, easy buy-in, easy mechanical parts availability==perfect for the new retiree who's moderately handy.

I am almost 100% certain the seats are out because of the garage it's stored in to keep it away from possible mice. This was restored and doesn't have much miles because he has so many cars. It's in Texas where there is almost no rain or rust in cars. I will check the floor boards and greatly appreciate all the information. 

Just an FYI, I sold the Jeepster. I had two buyers. I got a better look at it today and realized it needed more work than I was hoping, so lowered my expectations. I don't want to go into a lot of detail because I'm kind of burned out explaining the condition, etc. I chose to sell it to the guy in Oregon who has been helping me through this process since day one. He has done so much, including working on the '30 Model A last Thanksgiving AM, in the freezing cold because that is when the driver came to pick it up. I couldn't start it, and it was hard to start cold anyway, so this guy came and helped. That is just one of so many things he has done, including help me sell multiple cars and appraising and answering a lot of questions. I chose to cut him a deal lower than the other buyer offered when I found out it interested him. He has like 50 cars so I was surprised he wanted it. I feel like it's going to the right person, I will get to see it and ride in it when it's done, and I feel good about giving something back to him. And for the record, he didn't ask for a deal, I offered it to him because it was the right thing to do.

• 5 months later...
On 11/23/2016 at 0:19 AM, Grimy said:

Correction to link: it's www.jeepsterclub.com (no period between 'jeepster' and 'club'

Both of my Jeepsters were titled by the engine numbers rather than chassis number, as was the custom in some states.

The chassis number is best, but please do send what's on the title.  If it's a '48 it will start with 463 if it is/was a 4 cyl and 663 if a 6 cyl.

Just an update. I never did sell this. I got frustrated with trying to wrap my head around this project, the '55 and the '50 at the same time. Plus dad never transferred the title, and it's titled with an old engine#, so I had to apply for bonded title. One of my sisters would like to have it. Sold the '50 and some land instead and haven't sold anything else this year due to tax reasons.

The body# is 46874851. New engine# U61078. The original engine# was U75669A 

I found new in box side curtains and top for this, still in plastic. I haven't gone through all the parts or fully inspected the floor boards yet. 

Any info you can give me about this is appreciated, and please send me a pic of yours when it's convenient.