Delahaye wanted - please.

I am one year into contracting Delahaye Fever.  It seems the only cure is to own one, therefore I am in the market for a project Delahaye, if there are any still out there.  I am willing to start with anything -  burned, rusted, rolled, or otherwise given up for dead, late pre-war or postwar, i.e. 135 chassis.  Thank you.

Wow...Delahaye overload.  And I definitely see some affordable cars, not just the flamboyant show princesses.  And in the "just shoot me now" category was the Delahaye at the RM Hershey auction - any explanation as to the selling price on that one?  Seemed like a steal to me?  Thank you for the links.

http://www.rmsothebys.com/hf16/hershey/lots/1946-delahaye-135-m-coach-by-guillore/1080171

Lot 145

1946 Delahaye 135 M Coach by Guilloré

Chassis no. 800410
Sold for $77,000

95 bhp, 3,557 cc OHV inline six-cylinder engine with single Solex carburetor, Cotal electro-mechanical four-speed transmission, independent front suspension with transverse leaf spring, live rear axle with quarter-elliptical leaf-spring suspension, and four-wheel mechanically actuated Bendix drum brakes. Wheelbase: 114 in.

Offered from 56 years of ownership
Elegant and well-proportioned closed coachwork
Equipped with its original engine
Classic Car Club of America (CCCA) Full Classic

The Delahaye’s 135, introduced in Paris in 1935, was a rare model that straddled both the pre-war and post-war eras. It boasted a brand new chassis with the same 3.6-liter, six-cylinder engine first seen in the earlier Type 138, and it proved to be a remarkable automobile upon its release. One year later, Delahaye introduced the 135 M, which offered a slightly larger engine with improved horsepower and was offered with a choice of single, dual, or triple carburetors. The 135 proved to more than hold its own in competition, as it swept the top six places at Marseilles in 1936.

In the following years, leading up to the beginning of the Second World War, the 135 further cemented its reputation, taking 2nd overall at Le Mans in 1937 and 1st, 2nd, and 4th the following year. Outside of Le Mans, Delahaye 135s also took 1st at the Rallye Monte Carlo in 1937 and 1939.

Following the conclusion of the War, production of the Type 135 resumed and continued with the same 3.6-liter engine used before the war. By this time, the company was nearing its end, as the French government had placed large taxes on cars with displacement over three liters. Even today, six decades after the final Delahaye was produced, the famous 135-series cars remain very highly regarded as some of the most compelling French automobiles ever produced.

CHASSIS NUMBER 800410

The early post-war Delahaye 135 M offered here, chassis number 800410, was beautifully crafted by the famed French coachbuilder A. Guilloré as a five-passenger coach, with excellent and well-proportioned lines and styling. According to the current owner, the car was subsequently delivered to an original owner in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, where it was acquired in 1952 by Canadian enthusiast Ralph McNight and exported to Quebec. Subsequent Québécois owners were Jean Charest and Leon Frechon, before the current owner purchased the car in 1960.

In over half a century of care, the car has had its original “matching numbers” engine gone over and fitted with new bearings, during a thorough overall of the chassis before a full body-off restoration, performed in 1993 by well-known Canadian craftsman Peter Fawcett. The body was refinished in a subtle and attractive two-tone metallic color scheme, which contrasts beautifully with the handsomely appointed red leather interior. The owner reports that the car has always been well maintained during his ownership, including recent re-lining of the brakes and new batteries. It is accompanied by a collection of original paperwork, including owner’s and parts manuals, and documentation of ownership back to 1953, as well as by various spares, including a rare manifold for the factory triple-carburetor option.

Offered from an excellent long-term home, this stylish Delahaye would be a wonderful addition to the collection of any connoisseur of French motor cars.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have one Delahaye  in my collection of restorable cars  this is a 1947 135m  2 door  coupe  bodied by brandome 

the restoration has been started  

and one  Delahaye in my street rod projects 1948 135 m Dubois body 2 door pillarless hardtop  this was to be a parts car for the restoration project   i do not have the original frame or engine for this car 

these cars are both for sale as the pair or individually 

both cars have clean registered titles in our name

if you are indeed serious please contact me 814-341-5596 

i would much rather talk in person than try to post things online 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello Again

It is quite a long time ago that I owned a Delahaye. But in more recent years with 1920's Citroen and Renaults I found it almost impossible for anyone outside France to even get a reply from adverts on "leboncoin".

Below are photographs of my 1948/9 Delahaye I got as far as having it drivable. Under that bulbous skin it was basically a pre-war chassis with angle iron extensions to support the overhanging body. I have no idea where it went to.  I have never seen or heard of it since.

In the late 1940's and early 50s there were a number of newish Delahayes and Delage cars in Melbourne Australia. There is a very strong Pre-war (Vintage) Delage Club in Australia.

Bernie j.

.5a909b4b45961_LCESNL.1.thumb.jpeg.fdd53ea1dc0ca9d76691016c852cd606.jpeg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Leboncoin will not expose seller email addresses to computers outside of France (or Europe, anyway). I wrote to them, and they told me it was for security. I have written to some advertisers via the website, but have never received a reply.  Some of the advertisers  include their telephone numbers in the ads, however. You must be prepared to speak French, of course!

Philip

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a Delahaye 135m similar to the one shown in pic by "Old Car"...a 1950 with "Pontoon" style body by coachbuilder "Guillore". A long running restoration project since 1969! I have bought some parts through Leboncoin and yes, you generally have to speak some French. Parts are very hard to come by and can be horrendously expensive. I have this car to running stage but need to have about half the body remade as it is rusted out....then a complete retrim. (Australia got about 10 of these cars after an ex Le Mans 135MS won the Australian Grand Prix in 1949.)  So am probably looking at about $80k to finish! If you are hoping to pick up a cheap car somewhere and  restore it on a budget, I suggest you consider something different. Bear in mind that only 2200 cars were built between 1934 and 1954 and there were about 1000 body styles from 100 coachbuilders...so not many spare parts and no panelwork. Also, the Yanks love them and can outbid you big time.

Regards, Jamo (South Gippsland, Vic) Update...just found my receipt from Bernie dated 22/3/1969 so definitely was his car!slide026.thumb.jpg.f64fbe91e7e58373b21cdaf8f5226679.jpg

Edited by jamo
New Information (see edit history)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/4/2016 at 5:22 PM, flackmaster said:

Wow...Delahaye overload.  And I definitely see some affordable cars, not just the flamboyant show princesses.  And in the "just shoot me now" category was the Delahaye at the RM Hershey auction - any explanation as to the selling price on that one?  Seemed like a steal to me?  Thank you for the links.

why not an 148L?

this is a 135 with a 7 inches longer wheelbase, but same chassis, only slighter longer. A grown-up person can not sit in the back seat of a 135 model, but in the 148L there is plenty of room and the bodystyles are rhe same as the 135

DSC_2144mod.jpg

Hello Jamo

I have often wondered what happened to the Delahaye. Now I know. Do you still have it? and where in East Gippsland are you. 

Please send me an email. I will send you a PM. 

Bernie j.

I remember that I had to put new distributor points into the Dalahaye before I could get the motor to start. What have you done with it during the last 50 years?

From memory it used the same point set as a Sinca Aronde.  I have almost finished the 1929 Renault restoration, perhaps we could arrange a swap.

Bernie j. 

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Now it is well into 2023 and I am still no wiser about the Delahaye. The Renault mentioned here is long gone. I still have the 1934 Lagonda Rapier that I have owned almost for ever and that is going nowhere. It is still the best car that I have ever owned. We have driven over 100,000 miles in it!

Not only here in Australia but all around the UK and much of Europe.

Perhaps some of you may like to compare your travels in your "car of choice".

Alpine Passes Conquered.
              in the French, Italian and Swiss Alps & the Pyrenees
    During visits to Europe with the 1934 Lagonda Rapier CH1998 (KG 5363)
             in 1994,6,9 & 2004, 09, & 14.

Col de l’Iseran        2,769 metres. (Both directions.) (F)
Passo dello Stelvio        2,758 metres.                 (I)
Col du Galibier        2,645 metres. (Both directions)   (F)
Passo di Gavia        2,621 metres.                  (I)
Port d’Envalire        2408 metres    (Pyrenees)             (F-S)
Furka Pass        2,431 metres.                 (CH)
Col d’Izoard        2,361 metres. (Both directions)   (F)
Albula Pass         2,312 metres.                (CH)
Julier Pass        2,284 metres.                (CH)
Susten Pas        2,224 metres.                       (CH)
Penser Joch        2,214 metres            (I)
Ofen Pass        2,149 metres.                (CH)
Col du Tourmalet                    2115  metres   (Pyrenees)          (F)
Col de Vars        2,111 metres (Both directions)  (F)
Jaufen Pass        2,094 metres            (I)
Col du Mt Cenis        2,083 metres (Both directions)  (F-I)
Port de La Bonaigua    2072 metres  (Pyrenees)       (F-S)
Col du Lautaret        2,068 metres (Both directions)   (F)
Oberalp Pass        2,044 metres                       (CH)
Cormet de Roseland    1.922 metres (Both directions)   (F)
Mount Ventoux        1,909 metres                         (F)
Passo Tonale        1,883 metres                          (I)
l’Alpe d’Huez        1,860 metres (Both directions)    (F)
Col de Montgenevre    1,850 metres (Both directions)    (F-I)
Col du Pourtalet                      1,794 metres    (Pyrenees)          (F)
Col d’Aubisque                       1,709 metres   (Pyrenees)          (F)
Col du Somport        1,632 metres (Pyrenees)            (F-S)
Col du Telegraphe        1,578 metres (Both directions)    (F)
Col de Peyresoude                 1,569 metres   (Pyrenees)         (F)
Lenzerhide        1,547 metres                        (CH) 
Monte Bondone        1,537 metres                               (I)
Col de la Forclaz        1,526 metres                              (CH)
Gampen Joch        1,518 metres                              (I)
Col de Aspin         1,490 metres   (Pyrenees)        (F)
Col des Aravis        1,486 metres                       (F)
Col de Soulor        1,474 metres   (Pyrenees)          (F)
Col des Montets        1,461 metres                              (F)
Col de Portel                    1,432 metres  (Pyrenees)           (F)
Col de Peguere        1,375 metres  (Pyrenees)           (F)
Col de Portillion        1,293 metres  (Pyrenees)           (F)
Col de Jouels        1,247 metres   (Pyrenees)          (F)
Col de La Crouzette    1,245 metres    (Pyrenees)        (F)
Col  de Portet d’Aspet             1,069 metres    (Pyrenees)       (F)
Col  des Ares           797 metres    (Pyrenees)       (F)
Col deCharcany                        571 metres     (Pyrenees)      (F)
Col de St Christaut                    514 metres    (Pyrenees)      (F)

CH) Switzerland. (F) France.  (I) Italy. (S) Spain.
  Other countries visited include Belgium, Germany,  Holland & Luxemburg

In the UK, High Street in the Lakes District, 815 metres,
       the Devils Staircase, Mid Wales, 481metres.
In Australia, Charlotte Pass, in the Kosciuszko National Park,  1.760 metres 
      Dead Horse Gap, near Threadbo Village, 1,580 metres.

ScanInFrance.1.jpeg.f7f5a9cafe5ac27524b8bdf6af1827c8.jpeg

DSCN8144.jpg.12f80fe96e39bdb6faed499d79132f5c.jpgDSCN8145.jpg.8f99948ef85d3c7811927e0eb86345e5.jpg

The first of the three photos shown here was actually taken in 2004 but almost ten years later nothing has changed except that the odometer has had quite a number of miles traveled added. Oh yes, the (green) covers over the driving lights have disappeared. That and it now has Michelin Low presure (Super Comfort) tyres on all (5) wheels. (NB. NOT Radials)

It still starts "on the button" and drives extremely well. It has had recent, a full (preselector) gearbox rebuild with new friction linings (bands) fitted. The green leather seat upholstery is that fitted when the car was first restored, it is virtually unmarked as is the matching carpet.

Unfortunately the milage on the speedo only shows a total up to 99.999. We can only guess how many times it has gone around. That it is still working perfectly speaks volumes as to its quality. Indicators on the dial show (Australian) legal speed linits in town and country. Everything on the dash (and the rest of the car) is original and reliable.

While it still keeps good time, I do not bother to wind the clock up every seven days.

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)
  • Like 1

https://www.prewarcar.nl/cars/delahaye

https://nl.leparking.be/tweedehands-auto/delahaye-type-135.html

https://www.oldtimers-te-koop.be/delahaye-oldtimer-autos

https://www.classic-trader.com/nl/oldtimer/zoeken/delahaye

If you like the brand and wand to purchase a car you should look in Europe.

It is a France build car with different bodywork builders.

Keep in mind these are expensive cars.

https://www.prewarcar.nl/492843-1939-delahaye-135ms-cabriolet-by-henri-chapron   nice car in Tsjechische Republiek.

https://www.prewarcar.nl/492838-1938-delahaye-135m-by-henri-chapron 

https://www.auto-veteran.com/c/projects/ this company have a project for sale too that somebody started but not finished .

They have also some parts for sale.

Hope this can be of help.

Regards.

• Like 1

Yes, you could say expensive BUT then you are buying a car that was virtually hand built with all the emphasis on QUALITY.

If you do the job properly you only need to do it once.

I have just this minute taken the attached photographs. The car will "start on the button" and I could get in a drive it virtually anywhere. It is now a long time since I restored the car. It has been on a number of visits, from Australia to the UK and Europe.

You can see that the car is kept in a very crowded little single car garage.

I am now at 86 years old just a shade younger than the 1934 Lagonda. The main difference is that I have not been "restored" but then perhaps some people would question that. Some years ago now I had major surgery for Bladder Cancer so most of my "water-works" have been "rebuilt". But that has nothing to do with the Lagonda. Rather than "expensive" I would say "excellent value for money". I will not be selling this one any time soon, so money really does not come into the discussion. However I would say that in terms of Dollars per Mile Travelled It was the bargain of a life time!

Bernie j.

DSCN8148.jpg.ee228864cff2ee5912361ceade97db53.jpgDSCN8151.jpg.ee00431fb582da18fed91d7799307c5f.jpgDSCN8152.jpg.ebf7454e0795668774d1a947018808c7.jpgDSCN8150.jpg.ffc23b7b52dc4d5a5b03d67db2023e3a.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Yes, you could say expensive BUT then you are buying a car that was virtually hand built with all the emphasis on QUALITY.

If you do the job properly you only need to do it once.

I have just this minute taken the attached photographs. The car will "start on the button" and I could get in a drive it virtually anywhere. It is now a long time since I restored the car. It has been on a number of visits, from Australia to the UK and Europe.

You can see that the car is kept in a very crowded little single car garage.

I am now at 86 years old just a shade younger than the 1934 Lagonda. The main difference is that I have not been "restored" but then perhaps some people would question that. Some years ago now I had major surgery for Bladder Cancer so most of my "water-works" have been "rebuilt". But that has nothing to do with the Lagonda. Rather than "expensive" I would say "excellent value for money". I will not be selling this one any time soon, so money really does not come into the discussion. However I would say that in terms of Dollars per Mile Travelled It was the bargain of a life time!

Bernie j.

DSCN8148.jpg.ee228864cff2ee5912361ceade97db53.jpgDSCN8151.jpg.ee00431fb582da18fed91d7799307c5f.jpgDSCN8152.jpg.ebf7454e0795668774d1a947018808c7.jpgDSCN8150.jpg.ffc23b7b52dc4d5a5b03d67db2023e3a.jpg

"excellent value for money" is how I explain to customers the costs for restoration when they want the job done as it should be done.

I restore Jaguar's.

• 4 months later...

Sadly I have now lost track of my Delahaye It was a 135 Drop head coupe almost beyond restoration when I bought it.

It very quickly found a new and more ambitious owner, that was almost 50 years ago. I have not seen or heard of it since. Unfortunately I cannot give you any more info. Perhaps someone can tell me where it is today.

Bj.image.jpeg.75650729b8bd8ca3e27413941cf4798c.jpeg