38 90 l limited

Guest 37buick90limo

Guest 37buick90limo

Hi all.  new to the forum.  have owned my 90 l limited for a couple of years now. Just been busy on other projects.  so have nearly finished a barn so I now have a good size workshop for next year.  it was owned by a lovely chap in Glasgow UK.  he had got the engine and gearbox freshened up and brakes. so it starts and drives.  

I'm wanting to start a new business in weddings once it's done as I have other classics are currently offer out.  only do say 6 weddings a year currently.  pays for the up keep of them.  

Am going to need advice along the way and hope to be able to get some questions answered by you knowledgeable enthusiasts 

Current questions ---

Higher ratio gear - have heard it will like to cruise at 50 ish?  65 would be better 

Interior parts.  I'm a carpenter so intend to make new center division.  or are there better alternatives??  

I have most parts but expect I will need full rubbers.  carpets.  

I have a guy to do upholstery.  

Want to keep it vintage art deco however bring it to modern day luxury aswell.  

Star light headliner ( rolls Royce have them)  

Internal champagne cooler.  Electric Windows ( if possible)  

I do not intend on selling it so not bothered about meeting 100 points at car show ? 

Have recently bought to carburettor manifold for it. 

Well that's it for now.  

Thanks shaun 

mms_20160702_225001.jpg

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Can you post a photo of the firewall data tag? From your photos, it does not look like a 1937. It appears to be a 1938. For any replacement used 1937 or 1938 parts, the go to guy would be Dave Tacheny. He would probably have any original parts that you need and might be able to help you with better rear end ratio gears.  He is the number one source for mid to late 30s Buick parts. You can reach him at 763-427-3460. He can usually be reached in the evening in his time zone in MN. 

There are other sources for reproduction parts as well. One of them is http://bobsautomobilia.com/.

You may want to consider joining the 1936-1938 Buick Club. You can download a membership form from the membership page at this link: http://www.3638buickclub.org/membership.html.

I think that Hampton Coach has a correct interior kit for the car, which would look even better than anything custom made and would help maintain the car's value if you did ever decide to sell it. 

On 21/11/2016 at 3:48 AM, 37buick90limo said:

Hi all.  new to the forum.  have owned my 90 l limited for a couple of years now. Just been busy on other projects.  so have nearly finished a barn so I now have a good size workshop for next year.  it was owned by a lovely chap in Glasgow UK.  he had got the engine and gearbox freshened up and brakes. so it starts and drives.  

I'm wanting to start a new business in weddings once it's done as I have other classics are currently offer out.  only do say 6 weddings a year currently.  pays for the up keep of them.  

Am going to need advice along the way and hope to be able to get some questions answered by you knowledgeable enthusiasts 

Current questions ---

Higher ratio gear - have heard it will like to cruise at 50 ish?  65 would be better 

Interior parts.  I'm a carpenter so intend to make new center division.  or are there better alternatives??  

I have most parts but expect I will need full rubbers.  carpets.  

I have a guy to do upholstery.  

Want to keep it vintage art deco however bring it to modern day luxury aswell.  

Star light headliner ( rolls Royce have them)  

Internal champagne cooler.  Electric Windows ( if possible)  

I do not intend on selling it so not bothered about meeting 100 points at car show ? 

Have recently bought to carburettor manifold for it. 

Well that's it for now.  

Thanks shaun

As above am 99% sure is a 1938.  It may have been made/sold in 1937 but it is a 1938 model year.

May be a Wilton car.  There is another rough un restored 1938 90L, with a division in Scotland ex the Wilton fleet. As your car does not have a division guessing its not the same car. There were/are some other large series ex Wilton Buick cars in Belfast

Is it a McLaughlin Canadian built Buick?

There is a Buick UK club.

High speed diff

Look at post 5 in the linked thread. Links are now dead due to software "upgrade", but if you google   "thread title text site:aaca.org "" you will find them

Is not easy as series 80 & 90 have unique diff's. Swapping cw&p is for practical purposed is not possible. The old www.1937and1938Buicks.com has the old magazines that can downloaded Many articles on hi speed diff {send me a PM with your email: I can send some info]. Note this is not the same 3638Buick.org as above. 1937and1938Buicks.com was a club that has ceased to exist but some dedicated people keep the old web site alive.

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Guest 37buick90limo

Thanks for the info.  I need to check.  I get mixed up with the years as I have a 48 chevy and a 37 buick.  or the other way around?  lol 

Yes I got it from Glasgow.  it was from Ireland years ago.  

Its a mcclaughan with center division.  Rhd and a limited.  

Thanks for the links.  much appreciated.  will get back on over the weekend  busy through the weeks.  

Thanks shaun 

Following some off line contact here a thread by the previous owner. Seems a good guy, so doubt he would object. A search on "1938" or similar would find anyway

Linked photos lost due to software changes

There are some other threads on this car that I cannot find just now

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

Guest 37buick90limo

Hi 

yes this is the same car.  so it's a 38.  oops. means my chevy is a 47 lol. 

Art is a great chap.  will post some pics and get it in my barn soon and get started on it.  I cant wait 

32 minutes ago, 37buick90limo said:

yes this is the same car.  so it's a 38.  oops. means my chevy is a 47 lol. 

Art is a great chap.  will post some pics and get it in my barn soon and get started on it.  I cant wait 

If you ask Peter G (site administrator) he may be able to change your name to 38Buick90Limo and the thread title

http://forums.aaca.org/profile/76900-peter-gariepy/

Guest 38buick90limo

So.  have there been any members that have or restored a limousine?  any help and advise would be appreciated.  will ask questions as and when.  

Thanks 

On 25/11/2016 at 10:33 PM, 38buick90limo said:

So.  have there been any members that have or restored a limousine?  any help and advise would be appreciated.  will ask questions as and when.  

There are some here. There were some at the BCA 2016 meet in Allentown, PA.

McLaughlin can be a little different. Not sure about 90 series, but 40 series used a 6 bolt wheel stub pattern, that apparently is the same Canadian GM/Chev pickup truck (So check the wheels - brakes on your Chebbie)

There is also a McLaughlin 1938 90L RHD in Nambia, Africa. The owner is helpful. Had a few emails with him & Art.