ID Old demountable rim parts, wedges, bolts, nuts

lump

For many decades my dad gathered up vintage car parts when he found them, and I followed his footsteps years later. So I don't recall where or when I acquired the used demountable rim bolts, wedges, and nuts which you will see in the following photos, but I've had them a LONG time. But now I'm facing the fact that I will not likely ever use them myself, so it isn't fair to have them stuck in a box in my shop. And, if I got hit by a truck, no one in my family would know they were car parts, so they would be discarded immediately. I want to find out what they fit, and figure out the best way to sell them to folks who might really need some of them. Please look at the following 3 photos, and give me any thoughts or advice that you can. Thanks! 

Rim bolts OLD wedges.jpg

IMG_6781.JPG

Rim bolts OLD catalog pg.jpg

• Like 1

Most of the wedges have numbers cast in them, which end in "TN," like the part numbers shown in this catalog page. So I quickly found several of them on this page. But obviously, the application information for most of these parts are listed by wheel brand and model, not brand of car. That leaves me a little perplexed as to how to list them, if I offered them on eBay, or whatever. Any thoughts? 

Many of the car manufacturers at the time used the same wheel supplier so the wedges can cross over many different vehicle makes.

That along with aftermarket replacements there is little ability to tell which wedge specifically goes to a particular vehicle unless a wedge has a name on it like BUICK then there would be a specific year(s) and model(s) that that particular wedge would apply.

As to listing the wedges I would make up lots of the same wedge, take pictures of the top, bottom and an side angle and see what happens.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

I might be interested in two or more of the clamps/wedges and possibly some of the nuts if they are the right ones. Can you send me more info in PM of these items I've highlighted in yellow ?

Please send me any letters or numbers stamped on the face of the two wedges, along with the outer measurements of the nuts and thread counts.

Regards,
Dave

DB Wedges.jpg

DB Nuts.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Hi,

Looking at your pictures and the chart, I'm looking for up to 8 of the 39TN wheel clamps, mine are marked MOTOR WHEEL on the side facing outwards and have what looks like a 4 and another unreadable number on the rear facing side ( the numbers 4 and? was only found on one of the 16 I have). I also need at least 4 rim bolts (bolt 15) to fit my Chrysler G70. The original bolts I have are called fish plate bolts ( like a coach bolt but with an oval behind the domed head)  they are 7/16 with 14TPI (UNC?), and measure 3 inches long behind the domed head. The domed head is upturned on one side like the picture of bolt 16. Some of the bolts are marked "B" on the head.

Please PM how many you have of each and what you want for them.

Thanks

Regards

Viv.

Ps, I recently worked on some 1927 thru to 1929 Chev's and they took the TN30 clamps marked JAXON.

chrysler 073.jpg

chrysler 076.jpg

Edited by viv w (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, dl456 said:

Hello Lump,

Do you have any 5TN Stanweld 21 wedges?

I could use several.

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis, I am so sorry, but I do not seem to have any of those. I have only the clamps you saw in that photo, although I have quite a few other bolts. Closest one I have is a Stanweld "6-TN," Wish I could help. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is the Buick list of demountable rim bolts.  I am interested in any of the ones that you have that are "style 2" and 3 3/16 long.  They have a 7/16 fine thread.   They look like a carriage bolt, but have an extra piece of metal on 2 sides near the thread.

Thank you,  Hugh

Rim Bolts.JPG

Rim Bolts 2.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25
added second photo (see edit history)

Just returned home from a visit to family in New England. I will try to get caught up on chores, and look again for the parts each of you have asked for. 

Thanks to all for your help and interest. 

I wish everyone a prosperous and healthy 2017.

On 11/22/2016 at 10:07 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

I might be interested in two or more of the clamps/wedges and possibly some of the nuts if they are the right ones. Can you send me more info in PM of these items I've highlighted in yellow ?

Please send me any letters or numbers stamped on the face of the two wedges, along with the outer measurements of the nuts and thread counts.

Regards,
Dave

DB Wedges.jpg

DB Nuts.jpg

Dave, 

I have 5 of those clamps, and five nuts. The nuts are 7/16" coarse thread. The clamps are marked 24 - TN. See photo. Are these what you need? If so, PM me an address, and I'll figure out postage cost. Then we can figure out a fair price. I am in Ohio, by the way. 

20170104_002552.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/27/2016 at 1:14 PM, Hubert_25-25 said:

This is the Buick list of demountable rim bolts.  I am interested in any of the ones that you have that are "style 2" and 3 3/16 long.  They have a 7/16 fine thread.   They look like a carriage bolt, but have an extra piece of metal on 2 sides near the thread.

Thank you,  Hugh

Rim Bolts.JPG

Rim Bolts 2.JPG

Hello again, Hugh. Thanks for the excellent info on the bolts you need. 

I have exactly three bolts of that exact description. See photo attached. If you are interested in them, PM me an address, and I'll calculate postage. 

20170104_002608.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Lump for taking the time. Great photos by the way, they really do help those of us looking for those hard to find parts.

Can't use the clamps .. different size unfortunately ..the ones I need are a shorter lip, closer to the 35TN's. I have several of those already and they stick out to far, I need Kelsey #515's or 516's are the only ones that work correctly.  The nuts I need are flat on the mounting side too so I won't be able to use those either. I could probably grind the back side of the nuts flat but I would rather see them go to someone who needs them more for their original restoration. Good luck, someone will need them..

I have 3 45TN's

1 7TN for Jaxon

and several others so if you don't have what some are looking for maybe I can help. I don't want to hijack your thread but if anyone wants to PM me send them my way. Lump let me know if it's ok to list all of them here and I'll take photos. If you don't wish me to post I understand and I'll start a separate thread.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Lump,

These pictures show the rim clamps and bolts I am looking for as per my earlier posting. I saw several of the clamps in your pictures, but not sure if you had any of these bolts. Please let me know what you have and prices. Will you post to Canada N0N-1J2 or only USA? 

Many thanks

Viv.

chrysler 076.jpg

chrysler 073.jpg

On 2/17/2017 at 6:21 AM, 31model54barn said:

hi lump , i am interested in two styles of wedges if you have them . see attached photos . the first is for a 1918 birch the other is 1931 studebaker light six . 

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0008.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG

DSCF00011.JPG

18 hours ago, viv w said:

Hi Lump,

These pictures show the rim clamps and bolts I am looking for as per my earlier posting. I saw several of the clamps in your pictures, but not sure if you had any of these bolts. Please let me know what you have and prices. Will you post to Canada N0N-1J2 or only USA? 

Many thanks

Viv.

chrysler 076.jpg

chrysler 073.jpg

Viv, I will ship them anywhere, of course. Shipping price would be exactly my cost. Can you read any of the code letters/numerals in your clamps? Also, can you tell me the length and thread size/count for the bolts? Thanks. 

Hi Lump,

I have updated my previous reply from November 27 2016 to this posting, best regards

Viv

•  
  • viv w
  • Members
  • 190 posts

Hi,

Looking at your pictures and the chart, I'm looking for up to 8 of the 39TN wheel clamps, mine are marked MOTOR WHEEL on the side facing outwards and have what looks like a 4 and another unreadable number on the rear facing side ( the numbers 4 and? was only found on one of the 16 I have). I also need at least 4 rim bolts (bolt 15) to fit my Chrysler G70. The original bolts I have are called fish plate bolts ( like a coach bolt but with an oval behind the domed head)  they are 7/16 with 14TPI (UNC?), and measure 3 inches long behind the domed head. The domed head is upturned on one side like the picture of bolt 16. Some of the bolts are marked "B" on the head.

Please PM how many you have of each and what you want for them.

Thanks

Regards

Viv.

Ps, I recently worked on some 1927 thru to 1929 Chev's and they took the TN30 clamps marked JAXON.

chrysler 073.jpg

chrysler 076.jpg

Hi Viv, in my experience the numbers and marks on the inside of wedges and clamps are unimportant. They seem to be mold numbers or foundry marks.  It's only the names and / or numbers on the outside that are important .  Of course most if not all of the wedges and clamps were supplied both O.E.M. and thru Jobber outlets. The Jobber ones will be the same shape but may have totally different names or numbers or be plain {no name or number}.

Greg in Canada

Just now, 1912Staver said:

Hi 31model54barn, the first lug you show in the photo seems to be a W20. In my listings it is used only on 1917-1918 4 Cyl Buicks with Baker Prudden rims.  Looks like quite a rare wedge.

Greg in Canada

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎17 at 6:21 AM, 31model54barn said:

hi lump , i am interested in two styles of wedges if you have them . see attached photos . the first is for a 1918 birch the other is 1931 studebaker light six . 

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0008.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG

DSCF00011.JPG

DSCF00051.JPG

• 11 months later...

It's kinda funny, when I think about all the old car parts I've had assortments of, over the years. But taking this kind of thing to Hershey (YEARS ago), would net very little results. No one wanted to root through a wooden box full of old wheel bolts, etc. And few knew EXACTLY what their parts looked like, on the spot. I had TONS of stuff. Now, just a little here, and a little there. But at least today this forum, eBay, etc, helps enthusiastic buyers find parts they desperately need, and helps guys like me clean out old boxes and bins full of "good stuff" that I cannot bring myself to throw away. Consider this a "bump," I suppose. 

• Like 1

Lump,  

I am a digger, and I am so glad that you have posted. Thanks for not throwing this stuff out. I think it would help if you organized what is in the photos.  People just glance at stuff, and if you remove some clutter from the photos, that may help. I would separate parts into bolts, nuts, wedges, unless you know that they go together. Maybe line like bolts up by size.   

Stutz,

Please accept my apology for delayed response. 

I have four rim clamps numbered "38 TN." I do not seem to have any with an "M" or "W" on them, and no "39TN" clamps either. 

According to my parts catalog page, the 38TN clamps were for Motor Wheel brand rims of 3.5" and 4" size. The 39TN clamps were for the 4.5" size. (I don't know this personally, just saw it on the page. See photos). I purposely laid the clamps in different positions for the photo, so you could see front and back, from top view and bottom view. 

IF you think they are indeed the clamps you need, you are welcome to them for $30 including US Postal Priority Mail. 

Let me know.

-----Lump (Jim)

Rim clamp catalog pg photo LO REZ.jpg

Rim Clamps 38TN LO REZ.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 9:44 PM, Bloo said:

Hi lump,

Do you have any wedges like this one?

3WYYp0c.jpg

Or bolts or hardware like this?

Thanks!

Bloo, Tonight I was just browsing through old threads and posts of mine, and stumbled onto this one. OUCH, apparently I never responded to your query? That was rude, for sure, but not intentional. I do sincerely apologize. Sadly, I do not have any one of the three components shown in your excellent photos. 

• 1 month later...

Hello,  First let me thank you for the time and effort you have given to get these parts back on the early cars.  Your father would be proud of you.  I am looking for Kelsey bolts.  Attached is a picture.  There is a square shoulder under the head.  The head has two flat sides 180 degrees apart.  The thread is 7/16 fine and the bolt length is 3 1/4 from under the head to the end of the bolt.  If you have any of these I would like to purchase them.   Thanking you again.  Don in central Ohio   740-816-4284

IMG_1155.JPG

On 9/12/2019 at 10:59 AM, DFeeney said:

Hello,  First let me thank you for the time and effort you have given to get these parts back on the early cars.  Your father would be proud of you.  I am looking for Kelsey bolts.  Attached is a picture.  There is a square shoulder under the head.  The head has two flat sides 180 degrees apart.  The thread is 7/16 fine and the bolt length is 3 1/4 from under the head to the end of the bolt.  If you have any of these I would like to purchase them.   Thanking you again.  Don in central Ohio   740-816-4284

IMG_1155.JPG

DFeeney, 

I am so sorry to report that I do not have the bolts you need. I wish you luck in finding them. -----Jim W

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...