1929 fuel pump

If you are referring to separating the top and bottom halfs of the fuel pump that are held together with the 6 screws and sandwich the diaphragm, I had the same issue trying to get the fuel pump on my 1933 Chevrolet apart the first time years ago. 

I ended up using a sharp chisel that was 1/2 inch wide.   I held the fuel pump on a piece of wood along its edge and put the chisel right at the seam between the two halves created by the old diaphragm then gave it one medium tap with a hammer.  Everything went fine and the two halves popped apart.  There were pieces of the original diaphragm stuck to each half as I pulled it completely apart.

I did have another pump that I rebuilt later and kept as a spare in the event I damaged the one I was attempting to separate.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the reply. I was referring to the diaphragm and the one bolt in the middle.  After a while, finally separated the washers away from the diaphragm.  When i put a new diaphragm in i had a leak at the bottom, so i pulled it apart and tightened up the centre bolt. No more leaks. Car performing fine, although i am now trying to get some AC 86 spark plugs as spares. Thanks Phil 

i was unable to fin C86 but per the Gurus on VCCA they recommended getting some C87

The gap of .040" is for the AC-C86 plugs and the AC-C87 plugs. That gap may not be the same for the Champion D-16 plugs. Start with the gap recommended for that plug and see how the car runs. If it runs fine, leave the gap as is. If you still get some popping at idle then open the gap another .005" and try again. Keep doing that until the car idles smoothly and has lots of power, then adjust your timing according to the spark plug gap that you finally end up with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The car will not run correctly with that small of a gap. I just bought a spare 31 engine and it didn't want to run well. Pulled the plugs and they were gapped at .025. Opened the gap to .040 and it ran perfectly once it cleared out. These motors need a bigger, hotter spark with today's gasoline.