Watching "Chasing Classic Cars" & Hershey References

AnniesSS

We're watching an episode of "Chasing Classic Cars" from 12/12 and Wayne Carinni(sp) has made multiple references to going to Hershey, it's been a while since I've gone to Hershey, I've seen this car at Hershey.  Makes me wonder how many car people - other then us AACA people - understand what he's referencing? On this episode, he's somewhere on Long Island.  Wish I knew where he was as neither my husband nor I have any idea of who's property he's on,but they have multiple garages and TONS of information and many cars have AACA stickers on the window :) 

If you are watching CCC and wonder if Wayne is as incredible in person as he is on the show, well, he is.  I stopped by his shop F40 Motorsports on our summer trip to New England this summer, and I was incredibly lucky enough to meet him there.  I thought there would be no way he would actually be around.  Sure enough he was, and he had no problem taking time to speak with me for a few minutes.  I wasn't someone he had any reason to set any time aside for, but he was just as happy to see me as anyone else he sees in his day to day business.  He is certainly my favorite "celebrity" in the collectible car industry.  He was kind, interesting, and more importantly interested.

• Like 4

It's interesting how some dealers get the pulse of the old car hobby, and follow it to the source.  There's one hobbyist/dealer I've followed for the last ten years, think I know some of his methods, but he's found cars that were out there but not available and done a great job of it...but I'm convinced he has a system..so enough of that..

There are many collections out there with large numbers of great cars.  Most of these are known to many, many are known to a few, but overall, they're known.  One has to talk to someone "in the know" to understand how hidden, and how vast, some of these collections might be. 

What's interesting in this scenario is that many of the principals of the very large collections, and very rare collections, and small very rare collections, and so forth, are up in years, 80 plus (although now, at 65, to me that doesn't sound THAT old!)....so will be interesting in the next 10 to 15 years to see what cars come on the market.  Many of these are hugely collectable and desirable cars, so the upper echelon of the car collecting community will scoop them up, and little to affect our hobby.

But, again, will be an interesting time for those who love the heavy duty iron....

• Like 1

On 11/4/2016 at 7:52 PM, AnniesSS said:

We're watching an episode of "Chasing Classic Cars" from 12/12 and Wayne Carinni(sp) has made multiple references to going to Hershey, it's been a while since I've gone to Hershey, I've seen this car at Hershey.  Makes me wonder how many car people - other then us AACA people - understand what he's referencing? On this episode, he's somewhere on Long Island.  Wish I knew where he was as neither my husband nor I have any idea of who's property he's on,but they have multiple garages and TONS of information and many cars have AACA stickers on the window :) 

Annie, that collection belonged to Parker Wickham and was located out on the north fork , in the town of Southold or Peconic if I recall, he hosted many local clubs to view his collection, and he passed away a few years ago. That episode is a few years old, as I recall everything was auctioned off a few years ago. I was there about 10 years ago and he was very old then. 

• Like 1

Annie, I understand, but how many times we you ever out on the North Fork? Speaking for myself I never really traveled out that way, for me there really was not much out that way, other then sod farms, wineries, the New London Ferry, and some great salt water fishing! It is pretty scenic and all that, but not much going on. I lived on this island a long time but never went out that way until about 15 years ago. It really is an isolated section of Long Island, and maybe it's a good thing! I actually belong to the AACA Region out there for several years now, (Peconic Bay Region) I never participated in anything events, but their newsletter is fantastic, they do a great job with it! Even though I live on the same island (for only a few months of the year now) it is still 100 miles to get out there, of which 75 miles of that is congestion and dense highway traffic, (which I know you know), combined with the east end local weekend traffic takes some of the joy away from the trip. I guess the best way to put it is that the collection was not private, it was known and for a long time at that, but maybe because it was around that long everyone presumed that everyone knew about it's existence,  It was one of those collections that had a lot of "weird" foreign cars, and did not change much. I saw it once a long time ago and again about 10 years ago, pretty much all the same stuff. I know how you feel when something like that was right in your backyard and you never knew about it.

That part of Long Island was settled in the 1600's and that is one of the "blueblood" names like Gardiner, and Fisher, are other names that come to mind.    

I have a great friend who retired there and tells me there are people out there that never had been to NYC, go figure....  so the only way if they ever left the island is they went to New London CT via the ferry! The other night one of the other episodes they aired of CCC showed Wayne going to FIshers Island NY, they only way there is by ferry from New London CT! 

Again the collection was not in the public eye. but people knew about it, I grew up in the hobby so I knew about it since I was a kid but I was exposed directly to the scene. I remember going with my father out to Austin Clark's place in Southampton once a month to help dust off cars   

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Actually, the North Fork is/was a favorite of mine and I have been out there many times!  Again, wish I knew him when he was still with us and I still lived on LI :)

Being a South Shore girl, I enjoyed the difference in the terrain and much less traffic;)