Where is our vintage car market headed???

Joe in Canada

On 11/4/2016 at 2:31 PM, Matt Harwood said:

The good news, in my opinion, is that as prices drop, the cars will become appealing to new, younger buyers who formerly couldn't afford such things. They may see a $3500 1935 Oldsmobile sedan that they can drive and enjoy immediately and maybe they'll join the hobby that way. With luck, the whole cycle will start all over as they mature into more sophisticated collectors.

As always, Matt, a very interesting and helpful comment.  Thanks again for your excellent insights.

Maybe this is just my pet issue,  but I do worry about how the cost of maintenance and repair will factor into that.   Imagine a younger buyer who is new to old cars.  He probably has to learn to use a manual transmission just to be able to drive the '35 Oldsmobile sedan he just bought for $3500.   The sedan may look good, but it has probably been sitting for a while.   The car will need the usual things for a car that has been sitting for a while, but the new younger buyer will have no idea how to do any of that.  He probably bought the car without even thinking about what work it might need.    After he has the car .and realizes the car's needs, he probably has no choice but to pay a shop to do the work.  That could very easily set him back more than the price of the car.  When you're not doing your own basic repair work, the hobby can get expensive quickly.    That's why I think it's so important to teach newer members about basic repairs and maintenance. It's a way to keep the price of the hobby down for new members, which ultimately means more new members.

On 11/3/2016 at 7:46 AM, mercer09 said:

I agree with Wayne-down the tubes.

I keep telling myself I need to sell a few, but I keep buying more.....................

so I guess in the end, I really dont give a rat's arse!

cant take money with you and my kids have no interest, so I guess there will be no inheritance. My way or the highway.

LOL!

But in this economy, my kids can use the money I leave in the bank.  If I live ten more years, the kind of cars I like will be worth much less because of dwindling interest in the hobby due to the advent of street rods, and the current and future younger generation interest in computers, cell phone, and other electronic interests popping up every day.  Add to that the current crop of new cars are electronic plastic throwaway junk that are only good for transportation.  And yes, thanks to all the electronic gadgets, they don't teach handwriting in schools, soon I suspect will not teach math and they seek to dumb down the coming population by not teaching history and civics.  All of that will lead to a collapse in the old car market, possibly in my lifetime, and I'm 78.  Prices have reached a peak today where an upper middle class person like myself has to think long and hard about buying another car, and repair/restoration has centered into shops dedicated to the purpose and who have to charge very high labor rates in order to survive in the current high cost economy.

Several thoughts.

I am interested in antique furniture and household items as well as antique cars. And the market is down for those items as well. However, I have never seen a TV show make people think that valuable things are not worth anything like the original post claims. Actually, it makes most people think their junk is worth a fortune, whether a car in junkyard condition or water damaged, broken, lousy condition common household stuff.

Most young people have no knowledge or interest in history. I do not know how history is currently being taught in schools, but when I was in school, it was all just memorizing dates and names of Revolutionary war and other battles. Extremely boring in my opinion. 20th Century history, which did seem more interesting, they only spent 3 weeks on out of semesters of boring stuff. I did not have any interest in history until after I got out of school and found TV shows, books, movies or visiting sites that actually make it interesting, and no one is giving tests on memorizing dates.  But most young people will not have any interest in history after being bored with it in school.

While some 20-30 year olds may be struggling financially, the ones where I work are not. They are not loaded, but they have plenty of disposable income for hobbies. But they do not have hobbies. They spend their money on designer clothes and accessories, cell phones and electronics, and vacations. They also cannot make decisions on their own. If they are thinking of buying something, whether clothing, a house, or dog toy, they must show it to everyone on their phone and get everyone's approval first. They can only buy what is "in", and if anyone says what they are thinking about getting isn't, they don't buy it. And antiques, whether cars or household, are definitely not the "in" thing. They are seen as boring things that old people have.

You can post examples of young people with Model A's or interests in other antique cars, but they are the exception, not the norm. Young people now are taught that cars are bad. They are terrible for the environment, especially old ones. When I was in high school, I could not wait to get my driver's license and first car. Now they would rather have mom or dad drop them off, or if they are older, take Uber. They do not want the expense and responsibility of owning a newer car, much less an antique.

For household antiques, on Ebay, stuff sells for the current going prices. Rare valuable stuff still brings a good price, but on more common items, the prices are down. Yet if you go to an antique mall, they are still charging the higher prices, and are less willing than ever before to negotiate on price. A lot of antique malls have gone out of business in my area. But that only makes the ones that remain think they have the market cornered, and less willing to deal.

I see the same with antique cars being sold. Stuff gets repeatedly relisted because they are asking too much. Plus you used to be able to have an antique car repaired or restored at a more reasonable price. Now an average restoration is $100,000. Doesn't make much sense to spend that on a $20,000 car. And if you don't want to work on it yourself, which most young people don't, it is not only expensive, but hard to find a place to actually work on it. Most places don't know how to work on it if they can't plug it into a computer.

For now the antique car hobby is fine, but when the 20-30 year olds are in their 50's and 60's, I think it will be a different story. The old timers with an interest in antique cars will be gone, and there won't be as many people to take their place as has happened in previous decades. Sitting in the back of a minivan watching a DVD player or paying for an Uber ride is not going to give them the same warm memories of cars as driving down Route 66 counting how many Studebakers you can spot did for their grandparents.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

well Dyna, I have a completely different attitude.

I gave both of my sons a great education- what they make of it is on them. Most of the kids I see being left money today will only waste it anyway.

Nobody gave me anything growing up in the way of money, but I was given terrific values on life. That I am grateful for.

remember, you can give a man a fish or you can teach him to fish............. big difference.

on that note, how many lottery winners have any money left, after 5 years from winning?

People have very little respect for what is given them. they didnt work for it-they need vested interest.

again, my opinion.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

I gave both of my sons a great education- what they make of it is on them. Most of the kids I see being left money today will only waste it anyway.

Nobody gave me anything growing up in the way of money, but I was given terrific values on life. That I am grateful for.

remember, you can give a man a fish or you can teach him to fish............. big difference.

on that note, how many lottery winners have any money left, after 5 years from winning?

People have very little respect for what is given them. they didnt work for it-they need vested interest.

again, my opinion.

There is no value in anything that is given for free.   No skin in the game = no value.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

I'm wondering how many people realize this?   I'm sure for most of the forum it is understood as obvious but the general public I'm not so sure.

Hopefully when parents pass they are in their 80s and 90s so kids are 50s or 60s.  At that point passing a car down or a little bit of money isn't really going to mess anything up.  I think people should be able to give their kids whatever they want, but trust funds seem to be universally bad idea.

43 minutes ago, mercer09 said:

again, my opinion.

I don't agree with you.  One size does not fit all.

Said it back in post 34. Kids are out there, just they have cars that are available to them and fit in with the other kids. Decade old cars that have depreciated most of the way out are common. They then "individualize". Just now neon is more popular than exchanging a 2 bbl for a 4 bbl because that is what the magazines (online included) tell them to do. Quarter century old, not so. It has always been this way at least since I was a kid. Only real difference was that where I grew up, Jags depreciated faster than most . (Found out why, still have Whitworth wrenches) and rust was an issue.

There has always been a generation gap. Back in the day, 19 year olds were learning from 20's and 18 year olds were learning from 19s. Today just the same ecept what they are learning is "Add direct injection and boost your turbo."

Samol-sameol.

32 minutes ago, AJFord54 said:

Point two:  At our car club meetings, instead of the subject being cars, bringing in speakers, enjoyment - again, many times it turns into a political event with either one-sided opinions from a group of men in their 70s or 80s.  Honestly, I can't relate nor agree with them.  Why would I want to be involved?  And, while I enjoy the "older crowd", do my wife and I really want to go on tours and with people 15 years older than us?

I don't know about that.  When I was young I enjoyed being with older people, enjoyed being around them, and learning from them.  That said, I didn't always agree with them.  I was in this car club throughout the 1960s, in my 20's, and I liked late '30s and early '40s cars, and I still do.  They were called "used cars" in the hobby then.  I fought that, but I still respected what the old guys my father's age did for this hobby.  Yes, 30's and 40's cars were what I remembered.  In later years I also remembered new 1950s cars.  I learned to drive on a 1951 car, drove 1950s cars through the 1960s.  Later in life I got sentimental and bought various 1950s cars I'd' wanted at the time, and I was disappointed in all of them.  But, for folks who center on that era, I'm all for them.  If you like a 1991-92 vintage vehicle I'm all for you; I've been there 50 years ago, but I'd like the respect for my era, that I gave to the older collectors I knew way back then.  Yes, I fought for inclusion of newer cars, and that didn't make me popular.  But, I still respected their era, and just wanted them to respect mine.  So now for long haul touring we have a 1971 Buick Riviera.....that was the beginning of the good income years for us I guess.  But it is the '39 Buicks that thrill me.  I looked at a new Buick only yesterday and I wouldn't have one.  It is an electronic nightmare built for today's younger generation who understands all that stuff.  But, why do they have to force learning all that new technology down my throat?  Does that make me a grumpy old man?  I worked a lot of years to be comfortable in retirement, not to have to go back to school to learn to drive a new car. 

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

To all of you older guys that grew up with these cars. What did you really do all day back then? My guess is you lived your life, and got around in the cars that were available at the time. Cars to you are a memory, a moving picture. The youth do not have those memories, they still have to create them. I am 43 years old, and the biggest problem I see around here is the treatment of small businesses. I work in this hobby/industry, and what I have seen over the last three years would send anyone running from this hobby/industry as fast as they can. There is a old school out look on businesses around here. I do think it might be starting to change, it has to. This industry here is locked down, it will destroy it self if it does not change. The youth are not stupid, they have access to more information then any one in history. Why would you want to start a business if you will be jacked as you try and earn a living. This area is a wide open market for a lot of automotive stuff, that would thrive. I think people are hungry for it here. The same old BS broken record has been playing around here for to long. Some people do not want to turn loose of their free ride on the backs of people in this industry. The car stuff around here is not dying due to lack of interest, it is trying to survive. Be honest and work hard, you will take a lot of shots. Drink the kool aid, and you can get by. I am still standing tall, and I have paid a price.

And, they're not lazy.  This group is studying computer programming, website management, on-line marketing, law, medicine, radiation, robotics, etc.  Yes, their heads are buried in their cell phones, but weren't ours buried under the hoods of our cars, tinkering with our engines?

couldnt disagree with you more.................. Americans have become lazy!    fact.

My wife has an advanced degree in medicine at a teaching hospital in NY. The majority of students are foreign and either Indian or Chinese. Americans for the most part are NOT interested in medicine or science or

mathematics. Just read the statistics and inform yourself...................

and then there is the complaint of spending 200k on a college education and not being able to get a job................. all complaining done by Americans who have decided they need a degree in a useless profession

after having wasted their college money.............. woe is me.

I could go take a loan for a Duesenberg but dont. Why? because I know I cant afford it-so why borrow money when you know you cant pay it back? No common sense in this country any longer.................

pull your Louisville slugger out, and have a wack at me!   :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJFord54 said:

And, they're not lazy.  

Find me a body & fender man/painter who works weekends at home for extra money anymore.  I guess if they're not lazy, then they must be making a lot bigger percentage of the $105 per hour that the dealer is charging than they did back in the seventies.  Strikes me thats both good and bad.  Good for them, bad for restorers working on a limited budget.

18 hours ago, Buick64C said:

Bernie, you have me confused. I agree with your first post that older guys shouldn't be judgemental and unwelcoming. But isn't that what you describe doing in your second post?

No, I see the guys in the second post as kind of lost boys looking for something to identify with in their less productive years. I notice it to the point that I have stopped wearing hats, t shirts, jackets, and the like that identify me with a group of any sort.

Bernie

23 hours ago, F&J said:

I live on a busy state road and only saw one stock prewar this year????  (not counting 10 Model A's in a group, the tail end one had 4 trailer lights, and red triangle reflectors)

36 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

Yes the market is changing where rods are the dominant factor.

I wish there were more original prewars on my local roads, but it is not a pleasure drive if you are unable to easily cruise at 50-55, where I live.  Most prewar cars are not the expensive, higher powered cars that could cruise at those necessary speeds in my area.

2 hours ago, F&J said:

I wish there were more original prewars on my local roads, but it is not a pleasure drive if you are unable to easily cruise at 50-55, where I live.  Most prewar cars are not the expensive, higher powered cars that could cruise at those necessary speeds in my area.

Suggestion: Buy a straight 8 Buick, 1936 - 1942.  Little ones run along at 55-60 and big ones run along at 65-70.  Little ones are cheaper than a 55 Ford.

I have probably failed to even interest my own teenaged son in old cars.  I take him to a few shows each year and he is moderately interested in some of the cars, however I cannot provide him with any direct participation in the hobby. I have been into it up to my eyeballs for 40 + plus years and have a few interesting cars but none of them run. And it will be quite a few years before any of them will run. By that time the opportunity to pass an interest along to my son will probably be lost. It's one thing to stroll around a field of $35,000.00 ++ rolling investments and pick out which one you think is the "coolest" as a young teen,but these days ; in my son's case at least, it's probably going to take some first hand old car experience to spark a flame.

And in his case at least my partially done projects are not a spark at all to him despite all the promise and potential I can see. They are also for the most part too old to do much for him. I would like to have a useable car for old car activities but space and $ and time prevent that happening. It doesn't help I have a demanding shift work job that provides a somewhat so -so paycheque, and that we live in an area that has been rated one of the nicest but at the same time least affordable in the world.  Sky high cost of living ; esp. housing, but at the same time generally low pay cheques.  The hobby budget is pretty thin. Years ago when I started on my cars I had a reasonable slice of disposable income, but that has been gradually chipped away over the last 25 years.

I realise a situation like this is not typical, and many children of old car parents themselves go on to be old car enthusists ,but it is none the less something I personally find quite frustrating.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Greg,

have gone through the same thing. Now that the kids have grown up and are out of the house, am getting the cars running one by one. A little late for the proms, but maybe one day the weddings?

Dont beat yourself up. No matter how you plan life, it comes out quite differently... .......

On a good note, my oldest son went with me to Hershey. I wouldnt have gone otherwise. We had a nice time bonding and hopefully, we'll do it again sometime.

Guest shinyhubcap
1 hour ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Suggestion: Buy a straight 8 Buick, 1936 - 1942.  Little ones run along at 55-60 and big ones run along at 65-70.  Little ones are cheaper than a 55 Ford.

I strongly disagree.  Of course Buicks of any year are outstanding cars in their respective price classes.  However, they are not immune to the laws of physics.   They did what they were designed to do, on the roads they were designed for.

Now for the bad news.  The roads they were designed for pretty much ceased to exist in the years immediately before the 2nd World War.   Those sections of U.S. Highway 66 that remain accessible are MUCH "faster" roads than what pre-war cars were designed for.

DO THE MATH !  Look up the rear axle ratio of cars of that era -( Buicks ran around 4.3).  Think about how long the strokes are on those 8 cyl. Buicks.  Think about how hard those heavy connecting rods are whipping about the faster you spin the motors.   Buick stayed with "poured babbit" connecting rod bearings clear into the early 1950's.

The combination of a very long stroke, extremes of engine rpm brought about by what today are absurdly "low" final drive ratios,  and "poured babbit" connecting rod bearings are an invitation to disaster if you try cruising at speeds the cars were not designed for.

Yes - there are solutions - even Buicks with their closed drive lines can be equipped with aux. trans / overdrives.  And you can replace those connecting rods with ones set up for "insert" style connecting rod bearings.  With that combination..yes...I would be comfortable crusing a pre-war Buick (or, for that matter, ANY pre-war over-drive equipped car) at speeds higher than 50 mph.

If any of you think a car motor equipped with poured babbit con.rod bearings can survive high-speed cruising, tell me what modern auto mfg. thinks poured babbit for ford bearings is an acceptable engineering idea.

1 hour ago, shinyhubcap said:

DO THE MATH !  Look up the rear axle ratio of cars of that era -( Buicks ran around 4.3).  Think about how long the strokes are on those 8 cyl. Buicks.  Think about how hard those heavy connecting rods are whipping about the faster you spin the motors.   Buick stayed with "poured babbit" connecting rod bearings clear into the early 1950's.

The quote 

Sorry Charley, but you fell off the train here.  Buick switched to insert bearings on the 320.2 cid engine in mid-1948 and kept the same insert rod combination until the end in 1952.  The rods and inserts fit retroactively to 1937.  Buick switched to insert bearings on the 248 cid engine in the SPECIAL in 1950 and those rods and inserts fit retroactively to 1937.  I have inserts in the blue Buick to the left.  I do not have inserts in my '39 Special 4-door convertible.  I drive the convertible 50-55 and sometimes faster.  I drive the blue sedan 55-65 and sometimes faster.  The sedan engine was rebuilt in 1965.  The convertible engine was overhauled in 1970.

I had a '35 Buick that I drove 50-55 too, but yes, with the smaller straight 8 it liked 45 better.  Now I've owned 12 '39 Buicks, 3 '41 Buicks, a '32, a '35, a '36, a '38, a '42, a '47, 3 '48s, 2 '49s, and a '51 in the straight 8 category.  I knocked a bearing out of the blue sedan in 1964 when it had 77,000 miles on it, and I have no idea how it was taken care of until I got it in '63.  I was with my Mom & Dad in a '39 Special when he outran a Chevy hotrod at a tad over 100.  Yeah, it was a wild hair for him, and she was hollering to stop the whole time.

My '39 came with a 4.44 to 1 ratio, yes, but they offered the optional 3.9 to 1 on a Special and I got one from a Century.  The convertible already had a 3.9 to 1.  The 3.9 to 1 was standard in a Century, but they also offered a 3.6 to 1 in the Century.  A 1939 Century coupe won the first stock car race at Langhorne Speedway near Philadelphia in 1939.  Look it up in the 2nd or 3rd issue of SPECIAL INTEREST AUTOS.  The car was driven by Mark Light of Reading, PA.

Say what you want.  I'll put a Buick straight 8 up against almost anything of the period.  And when you come to 1941, with the dual carbs, 165 hp in the 320 engine, with an early form of positive crankcase ventilation, and an early form of ram-air induction, that was a real car, way ahead of its time.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.  I've been collecting, buying and selling cars, mostly Buicks, since I was 16 years old, and I'm 78 now.  My Dad drove Buicks dating back to 1930, so with me it's kind of like being a Methodist.....it's like religon.  Do I like any other brand, sure, but I love Buicks.

• Like 1

Dear Sir or Madam: You may be right.

For one thing I believe the ideal stroke for a gasoline engine is 83 mm with about 10mm lager bore bore. Also the ideal cruise rpm is slightly under 2,000 at 70 mph (today's gas and highways). Judge isn't but is more of a pet. Have believed the first two since about 1970 and the third since 1973.

Guess no-one remembers the late 70s and early 80s when it was politically incorrect to like cars.

Transistor radios and electronic fuel injection date to 1957 (though I always preferred a Rochester mechanical FI with Delcotronic TI. High energy ignitions was optional on some Pontiacs in 1972. Electronic engine computers since 1981 (AACA eligible for a decade now).

So what bothers people ? Too many buttons ? (agree to some extent, just had to change all of the clocks back and only the Judge uses a stem).

OTOH I do like having hands free phone, GPS, extensive music capability, and a HUD in all cars (easy in any 12v car with a FM radio, easier with a 8 track or cassette). Also always preferred a 2 seat or vestigial 4 seat car on the smaller side so most GALBs need not apply (which is why you'll probably - never say never- see a resto-mod of a Duesy, would have to start with an extended truck chassis - those were big cars).

So the hobby is really as strong as ever, just has evolved and fragmented a bit & choices were never as great.

My Buicks also have 165hp and is plenty.

ps talk about axle ratios is not compete without tire sizes - late 30's Buicks came with tires that were up to 32" tall (7.50x16). When comparing axles & rpm vs mph you need that also.

pps didn't "Buick Century" have something to do with top speed ?

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Yes, The Buick Century was named for its ability to do "100" mph. I have to agree with Earl. Buicks of the 1930s can keep up with modern traffic without a problem. It helps to have the correct rear end ratio but even the small series cars with the worst rear end ratio can handle 55 mph.

I have been busy lately and have not had as much time on the forum as usual. I have quickly read through this discussion so i may have missed a few points. In general, I would like to make a few observations. My parents were not really involved in the antique car hobby. For some reason, it appealed to me when I was young. Maybe it was working in my brother's shop when I was young. He was interested in cars of the 50's and 60's (and this was in the 1970s.) For some reason, I fell in love with cars of the 30's even though I was born in 1960. My children were both raised in the hobby and are both AACA Judges. My son is more involved right now because he is gainfully employed while my daughter is currently in college. The jury is still out on exactly what antique cars they will be most interested in down the road.

There are some generalizations in this discussion that may have some factual basis but there are some that are a bit off base. Maybe there are more regional variations than I realize but at least in my area, the hobby is still quite alive. Yesterday I attended my monthly local "cars and coffee" event. This is an event that involves a lot of younger people. It is loosely organized through a facebook page. There are probably similar facebook basd "cars and coffee" events near many of you. They are very common. Most of the younger people are most interested in more modern cars than my 1937 Buick Century, but I get lots of people wanting to talk about my car, lots of people taking photos of my car, and always enjoy the event. This event routinely attracts cars ranging from Ford Model T's and other cars of the era to a 2017 Corvette. There are lots of young people involved. Our local AACA Chapter always has some members there. This helps expose the next generation to older cars. The participants are "car people". They just need to have the exposure to older cars to spark that specific interest. 

In my local AACA Chapter, we have youth and student members who own antique cars and are active in the hobby. The future of the hobby is more positive than some of the opinions that have been expressed here.

Everybody in the older generation is not interested or involved in the antique car hobby. Everybody in my generation is not interested in the antique car hobby. Why would anyone expect everybody in the next generation to be interested in the antique car hobby? There is still a similar percentage of "car people" in the next generation. They may or may not have yet discovered the earlier cars, but given time, more disposable income, and some exposure, the future of the hobby is still bright. 

• Like 1

Just for fun, some current engines with a 4.3" stroke are interesting. Not my cup-o-tea (I like sixes) but interesting. The Jags I had before taking the cure all had over a 4" stroke and would do 6,000 rpm. Once. The 25 year old DOHC 3.4 I have now has a 7,000 rpm factory redline but a lot shorter stroke.

I will continue to say that if you want the younger generation to get involved in the hobby you need to drive them and let them drive them. 

My wife and I allow our two daughters and son to drive any of the cars that we own.  Look at the list at the bottom of this posting of what we allow them to drive.

The second picture is of my son Jeff taking the '15 Buick truck out for a drive with a girl that he works with. 

For me it is a pleasure to see him doing this with a smile ear to ear being allowed to do these drives.

The first picture is of him at "The Old Car Festival" at Greenfield Village this year giving rides around the village to different Buick Club Members that were there.  That picture is him with Dan Bower.

Jeff & Dan Bower at Old Car Festival 2016.jpg

Jeff and Aubrey September 2016.jpg

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 5

There are certainly younger people that are interested in the hobby but like others said other stuff tends to have to come first (e.g. house)

I'm under 30 and currently importing a 1922 Cadillac Coupe into Australia, so we are out there!

• Like 4

Well, in following the Model A and Model T forums, sites and FB pages I can definately attest to the fact that a good number of the participants are in the U-40 crowd.  A typical encounter goes something like this  - 

"Hi I am XX, from YY, and this is my dad's/uncles/G-pa's Model A/T".  It has not run in many years, but we would like to put it on the road.  I have some basic questions..."

Perhaps 50% of the time the question of value comes into mind - but fully 50% of the time the new owner indicates they would like to learn about the car, keep and enjoy it,  For many it seems to be a connection to a loved one and/or recollection of rumble seat rides, parades, etc.  I think if they are willing to do a little work, it will help them have a vested interest in the car.  Always cool when a new poster returns with an update "At the parade/ice cream shop/with the kids," etc.  These are fantastic cars to train one on basic maintenance due to the incredible support out there.  1935 Packard has it right, basics are key - most new collectors work up over time, you have to start some where.

Look at the T speedster crowd and it is probably more under 40 than over 40 - a popular way to have an affordable brass/hot rod/antique hobby car one can actually do a pretty decent job on at home.

My point is, while maybe this won't be a "mainstream" hobby regarding younger people, to say there is no interest is not true.  It is dropping off enough to impact prices though, which is just a market fact.  Not an issue if your cars are not part of your financial plan.  They are part of mine only in the sense that as I get older I want to spend more money and time on them, not less!  

• Like 2

Another thought on the speed at which "OLD" cars could be driven.  I am approaching 80..  Years that is.  My first Buick was a 1940.  When I was 16. I PROMISE I did not hold to 50-55. More like 65. Then only because it would not go much faster. I did not know how to tune it up then. I learned. Next was a '50 Super. I am 18 by then. 80 MPH all day long. Not topped out. Had a '48 Super.  70 MPH was normal. I had learned by then. My '53 Special the same.  Of course I am from Missouri, the SHOW ME state. So they did. 

Folks lament the "fact" that younger generations cannot afford things we do. Well, gee whiz, I could not afford those things when younger either!!  But I WORKED long and hard until I could. Still can't afford as much as some, but I am having fun.

Enough 

Ben

• Like 2

So many say, "young people don't care about cars", as if every single young person would have to care about them in order for the hobby to remain. I think it's always been a very small percentage of young people who have cared about old cars, and that has been all that's needed. To be sure, 99.9% probably don't give a hoot. So what, it's the 0.1% that matters and I suspect they'll be around when we are ready to hand over our cars to the next owners. The other issue is also that very few of us are willing to give our cars away or sell them dirt cheap. Young folks, (and some not so young folks), are very hard pressed financially today. Hard to fit in any hobby, let alone cars. This is where Model T's do well!

I agree. Virtually no one I went to school with had any interest in old cars... nor did anyone in my family. Nor, for that matter, have I any interest in the cars that were popular when I was younger. None of the common-knowledge reasons for being in the old car hobby to begin with apply so I feel safe saying that we simply don't know where the next generation of collectors will come from or specifically what they will value. These things always change. What we can be reasonably sure of is that no brass cars – or big classics or, for that matter, just about anything built before 1930 is going to get scrapped because no one wants it. The impression I get from this endless hand-wringing about the future of the hobby is really more "who will pay what I think I should get for the car I want to sell?" than "will anyone want it." There probably will be someone that wants it but it's also likely they won't want to pay what many feel they should get.

That said, three weeks ago I helped a friend load a project car (a 1931 Chrysler) he'd just sold to a gentleman from half-way across the country. He came to pick it up with his truck, trailer and three assistants - all in their 20s, all active in the hobby and all demonstrably knowledgeable. As part of the transaction they were taking the engine out of my friend's roadster (also a 1931 Chrysler) and rebuilding it. It was clear from our extended conversations over two days that they were enthusiastic and knew what they were doing. It may have been the first time in my life I've been witness to such an operation and not ever felt I had to say something like "no – do it this way."

• Like 1