eastern spring meet, wv?

ted sweet

1 hour ago, Robert Street said:

I am not so sure Annie as we hit a significant upgrade on an interstate in WVA towing back from Cheyenne Wyoming and gave my Generation 1 6.7 F350 a fit.  Tommy's Generation 2 F350 flew over it!!

Robert

That would be Sandstone Mountain , 7% grade for 7 miles. Coming down is worse than going up.

1 hour ago, AnniesSS said:

My Burb tackles hills without balking :) Bring them!

I hate to be a party pooper Annie but I have had suburbans before with just about every gas engine offered and was not satisfied with either one towing out west with hills.  Transmission and engine temps went way too high.  That WVA grade would have put any of those gas models into "meltdown".  Now, not towing anything significant they did well.

Robert

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2016 at 8:42 PM, Robert Street said:

I hate to be a party pooper Annie but I have had suburbans before with just about every gas engine offered and was not satisfied with either one towing out west with hills.  Transmission and engine temps went way too high.  That WVA grade would have put any of those gas models into "meltdown".  Now, not towing anything significant they did well.

Robert

Robert,

We've had a succession of Suburbans over the years, and had generally excellent results pulling all of our trailers - specifically the 30 ft long, 11-1/2 ft tall one we currently use, and we are generally pulling a 4,500 to 5,5oo lb car and another 1,000 lb parts and tools, besides all the gear for a family on a 2-3 week cross-country trip. 

We've had no problems keeping up with traffic on WV I-79, VA I-81, Colorado I-70 through the Rockies, etc. 

Hills? What hills?

The Suburbans include:

1977 C-10 Silverado 350 engine/350 trans - 3.42 diff replaced by a 3.73:1

1978 C-10 Silverado 454 engine/400 trans - 3.73:1 diff

1986 2500 Silverado 454 engine/400 trans - 4.11:1 diff

2002 2500 LT 8.1Litre  engine/auto w/OD - 3.73:1 diff

also a 2006 Avalanche 2500 LT 8.1Litre  engine/auto w/OD - 4.11:1 diff 4X4

and a 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3L TurboDiesel 4X4

I'm certain that the newer 800++ diesels with 8-speed trannys are superior, but then the $80K price tag looks better when applied to another vintage car, or the upgrades to an existing one (plus some donations this time of year).

Trailer 3.JPG

Trailer 2.JPG

Trailer 1.JPG

2006 AVALANCHE RIGHT FRONT.jpeg

• Like 1

I agree with Marty, we seem to have similar tastes in tow vehicles, with the exception of that darned diesel (it's the one that left the mark on my driveway, correct, Marty?)  I like the big engines, I towed for a while with a 350, it's fine in flatlands of Louisiana and surrounding area, but in the Northeast not so much. 

The challenge now is finding a big engine Suburban, I believe last year for one was 2006......I'm very happy to have the 2001 low mileage one I now own....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

...The challenge now is finding a big engine Suburban, I believe last year for one was 2006......I'm very happy to have the 2001 low mileage one I now own....

There were 2 Suburbans this past weekend in the Raleigh Classic Auction - one that was immaculate, 38k on the odometer, 350.... sold for $28,000

IMG_20161203_125129865.jpg

IMG_20161203_125713660.jpg

On 11/2/2016 at 11:41 AM, Steve Moskowitz said:

We cannot tell you yet....they are earnestly working on their plans but the region jumped in to help at a late date. Hopefully by the first of the year.

Let's get this thread back on track.....

So glad the region jumped in to help out. We all own them a big THANK YOU for taking this on.

Hopefully, information available by the first of the year to aid AACA members in planning their meet schedules for 2017. 

Do have to wonder where in that area this meet will be held at. No doubt a big challenge for the region hosting this meet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/29/2017 at 0:13 PM, Steve Moskowitz said:

Tri-fold is done and waiting for approvals and printing....hang on!!!

Thanks Steve!

I guess this means we will see the Tri-fold at the Annual Meeting in Philly and on the web site in a couple weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a trailering question.  It just appears that it's about 6 miles from the trailer lot to the show field and I understand that "there is trailer parking at Showfield" the morning of the show.  I guess we come from host hotel to trailer lot, then rehookup then go to show field for parking unload do the show then back to trailer lot?  I am bringing a non-driver if I enter this one so any information/comments

Robert

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:31 AM, Marty Roth said:

Robert,

We've had a succession of Suburbans over the years, and had generally excellent results pulling all of our trailers - specifically the 30 ft long, 11-1/2 ft tall one we currently use, and we are generally pulling a 4,500 to 5,5oo lb car and another 1,000 lb parts and tools, besides all the gear for a family on a 2-3 week cross-country trip. 

and a 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3L TurboDiesel 4X4

7.3L Turbo Diesel !! Woof Woof   :D

truck & trailer.JPG

2 hours ago, Robert Street said:

Got a trailering question.  It just appears that it's about 6 miles from the trailer lot to the show field and I understand that "there is trailer parking at Showfield" the morning of the show.  I guess we come from host hotel to trailer lot, then rehookup then go to show field for parking unload do the show then back to trailer lot?  I am bringing a non-driver if I enter this one so any information/comments

Robert

I think you pretty well have it figured out, you go to the trailer lot, unhook, go to the host hotel, drive back to the trailer lot on Saturday morning, hook up and go to the show field. Show your car. What is the problem ???  :D

16 hours ago, Robert Street said:

Robert

This is probably a question you should consider asking the Meet Chairman directly via email or telephone listed in the meet tri-fold.

When I used Google Earth to look at the show site there did not appear to be a lot of big parking lots capable of supporting trailers and tow vehicles. If that is the case, there could be limited trailer parking at the show on the day of the show. The meet chairman should have this information and is the person I would ask if I were you.

Charlie

5 hours ago, charlier said:

This is probably a question you should consider asking the Meet Chairman directly via email or telephone listed in the meet tri-fold.

When I used Google Earth to look at the show site there did not appear to be a lot of big parking lots capable of supporting trailers and tow vehicles. If that is the case, there could be limited trailer parking at the show on the day of the show. The meet chairman should have this information and is the person I would ask if I were you.

Charlie

I did email the meet chairman regarding trailer parking at the show field on Saturday. I live in Virginia and am trailering a car from home directly to the show field on Saturday morning. He assured me that there would be adequate parking at the show field. If I understand Robert's question, he knows this, but is hoping to find a way to avoid hitching and unhitching. I wonder if the hotel has a courtesy van that would shuttle guests back and forth to the trailer parking lot.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

2 hours ago, 31 Caddy said:

I did email the meet chairman regarding trailer parking at the show field on Saturday. I live in Virginia and am trailering a car from home directly to the show field on Saturday morning. He assured me that there would be adequate parking at the show field. If I understand Robert's question, he knows this, but is hoping to find a way to avoid hitching and unhitching. I wonder if the hotel has a courtesy van that would shuttle guests back and forth to the trailer parking lot.

Thank You for the additional information about the trailer parking on Saturday from the meet chairman. For those that need parking at the show site this is good to know. I can understand Robert's concerns about hitching & unhitching numerous times when staying at the host hotel. A courtesy van is a great idea if the hotel has one and does not need it for other guests who have to get to the airport, etc.  

Six miles from trailer parking to show field?  As others have said, I really do not want to have to hook up Saturday morning and drag my trailer to the show field.  If it isn't raining, I don't mind driving the car over but not if it is drizzling, raining, etc.  Of course, neither do I want o have to hook my trailer up in the rain!! 

I already have reservations at the host hotel but I may rethink this show knowing the logistics issue

Bob

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, AnniesSS said:

So how many cars are registered for next week's meet?  Joel and I looking forward to being the in mountains and seeing some friends!
Annie :)

I have not seen a count posted as of now. I will be there with my VW in HPOF and will be judging. I too an looking forward to seeing the Huntington area and seeing old friends and making new ones!  

Charlie

3 hours ago, Roger Frazee said:

What is the street address of the trailer parking lot.

According to the Huntington Meet's Tri-Fold information, the trailer parking lot is located at ACF Industries Parking Lot, 2300 block of Third Avenue in Huntington.  This lot is approximately 14 blocks from the host hotel (Pullman Plaza) and about 5-6 miles from the show field.

The show field is located in the HIMG Parking Lot at: 5170 US Route 60 East #1, Huntington, WV. 25705

I checked both of the above addresses in both Google Earth and Mapquest and they work fine for navigation.

Charlie

On 5/22/2017 at 11:22 AM, Restorer32 said:

You are bringing a non driver ????? Are non drivers now allowed on the show field? Was there a rules change?

I think he just doesn't want to drive the car that far. I'm sure what he calls a "non driver" is a trailered car

But I expect you knew that. I think he opted not to attend because of this 

Edited by real61ss (see edit history)