Winston1

1948 New Yorker dash colors

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what color combinations were used on New Yorker dashes in 1948?  My car interior is taupe.   But I see some have wood grain dash and solid plastic and some are painted dashes and wood grain plastic. I wanna repair my cracked Glove box door and curious if I repainted it wood grain was that an option.  Thanks 

I'll include my dash pic 

IMG_1610.JPG

Mine is Burgundy with plain plastic grille etc ,my door was also cracked but i had it recast in original maroon plastic ,sadly the man who did it in Canada is no longer with us I think. I haven't seen many new yorkers and never any with woodgrain!

Posted (edited)

I have a friend who had  restored a dark blue 1947 New Yorker club coupe and the dash and plastic were a matching dark blue. I had photos, but I recently lost most of my antique auto photos when I got a ransomware virus in my computer.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

The 1946-48 dash plastic colors were...

Blue

Beige No. 105

Maroon

Green

Neutral Mottled

Walnut Burled ( C40 Imperial Limousine & some T&C's)

It is rare that the plastic is in any kind of good condition.

So be very careful with it.

When/if you repair your cracked door, be sure not to over-tighten the center latch when reassembling. Many of these dash doors are cracked because when the door is closed, the upper left and right corners come to rest against small rubber buttons. If the center latch is adjusted too tight, the door is bowed when closed; eventually stressing and cracking the plastic. 

If you're fortunate enough to have an undamaged door, keep it that way by setting the center latch to fully "catch" just as the door touches the rubber buttons, and close the door only with very light hand pressure. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

In the 1948 chrysler line were the plastic. Dash colors specific to one model?  For example would you only find solid colors in New Yorkers, while the marble look was in royals? 

Edited by Winston1 (see edit history)