100 Anniversary Road Trip

hddennis

Just wanted to remind everyone of the upcoming 100 Anniversary Road Trip recreation : http://rtbassemir.com/1916-transcontinental-road-trip/2016-road-trip-story/the-maxwell-chronicles/ I was amazed to learn that one of the original sponsors, Texaco had refused to have anything to do with the recreation. I was doubly flabbergasted to learn here: http://www.texaco.com/about.html that they are currently touting 100th anniversary on their website. Don't they realize that daily reports of the progress could link back to this very web page and tie it all together for the benefit of both Texaco and the recreation??    Anybody have any ideas of how to wake up the "Right" people at this company??

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

Probably run today by millenial idiots.

I think you have an exciting trip ahead! If you get anywhere near Palm Springs make sure you give us a heads up and stop in at my place, the Palm Canyon Roadhouse, for lunch/drinks on us!

On 10/23/2016 at 1:21 PM, hddennis said:

Anybody have any ideas of how to wake up the "Right" people at this company?

Any time you have a complaint or good suggestion,

write to the president (C. E. O.) of the company.

A well prepared, professional letter is said to get 

more attention than an e-mail.  The letter may not be

read by the head man himself, but it will be handed

down from his office, and thereby carry a lot of weight.

Guest rbassemir

Thanks GregLaR for the offer. We will be coming to San Bernardino from the north so Palm Springs is not in our direct path. However, the return trip (with the Maxwell on a trailer) may be on I10  as we thought we might go back through Texas. Is your offer still good if we are trailering the Maxwell?? ha ha 

Thanks John_S_in_Penna for the suggestion. Having worked at IBM I agree with your approach. John Watson is the CEO of Chevron now and is in San Ramon, CA (too far away for us to do a "drive by"). Texaco is a subsidiary of Chevron since 2000. We had a contact in corporate headquarters in San Ramon (John Harper) who we have talked to and he sounded supportive. His title was "Historian, Policy, Government and Public Affairs" so we thought we had the right insider to take our story forward. But after a couple of phone calls and emails he has gone silent and unresponsive. So our conclusion was that Chevron was not interested. This trip is on track to go without their support, however there is a part of me that would like to send a letter to John Watson expressing our disappointment (politely of course).

Guest rbassemir

Follow up.... the daughter of CW Tuthill (my mom) is going to write that letter to John Watson (CEO of Chevron) from the perspective of what her dad had accomplished and what her sons were about to recreate. 

Just my opinion but I think what Chevron is missing is that this is not a sponsorship to raise any money (for us or a charity) but it is a celebration of history and an opportunity for them to market their brand. I mean really, would paying for our gas be that big of a marketing expense for a company that had 2.6 billion in earnings?? It makes no sense to me.

21 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Probably run today by millenial idiots.

I think you have an exciting trip ahead! If you get anywhere near Palm Springs make sure you give us a heads up and stop in at my place, the Palm Canyon Roadhouse, for lunch/drinks on us!

Good chow at Greg's place.

My experience was that he works the late shift.

• 4 weeks later...