63-73 Riviera Celebrated at 2017 Hemmings Concours d'Elegance

JZRIV

The info below is posted on the ROA website. We were pleased to hear Hemmings is yet again recognizing the Riviera with well deserved publicity. This time through their Concours d'Elegance show in Upstate NY. They are looking for 10-15 Rivieras from 1963 to 1973 to attend.

https://www.hemmings.com/concours/

The new location has been announced as of 2/4/17. The event will be held at the Charles R. Wood Park Festival Commons; Lake George NY, 9/15-9/17. 

Hemmings Motor News Concours d’Elegance
September 15-17, 2017

The 1963-73 Riviera will be celebrated at the 11th annual Hemmings Motor News Concours d’Elegance next September at Festival Commons, Lake George NY.

The announcement was made by the event staff at this year’s event. presented by Gullwing Motor Cars. The Riviera class will be accompanied by five other special classes: Chevrolet Camaro/Pontiac Firebird (in celebration of the GM F-body’s introduction) through 1981; Studebaker; MG; Wood-bodied Station Wagons; and Professional Vehicles (limousines, flower cars, hearses and ambulances) through 1980.

These six featured marques will be accompanied by the traditional classes, headlined by Full Classics (as recognized by the Classic Car Club of America), along with American Pre- and Postwar cars, American Muscle cars, European cars, Vintage Trucks and Preservation Cars.

Vehicles are now under consideration for each of the 2017 Concours classes. To submit a vehicle, please send full contact information, photos and a brief write-up about it to Hemmings Motor News Concours, Attn: Matthew Litwin, 222 Main Street, Bennington, Vermont, 05201, or by email at concours@hemmings.com. For more information about the 11th annual Hemmings Motor News Concours d’Elegance presented by Gullwing Motor Cars, visit Hemmings.com/Events/Concours.

hemmings_concourse.jpg

Edited by JZRIV
Add link to website - note date change (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Yippee!  I was jealous when they featured the Toronado & El Dorado at the 2016 event.  It's on my calendar!  Now I need to start knocking-off the items on my Goldie 'to-do' list... ;)

Oh, and I can't wait to see JZ's '66 in-person!

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

We could ask Mr Earl to pin this one in place of the dues reminder thread come Jan 1 when we will no longer need the dues thread pinned. I know he doesn't like to have too many threads pinned at any given time.

Sounds like a plan.

• MrEarl pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The new event location has been announced! The Festival Commons at Charles R. Wood Park,Lake George, New York. Of the 6 host hotels listed, the Fort William Henry is the closest to the Park.

that hotel is going to fill up very fast. 

http://www.festivalcommons.com/

https://www.hemmings.com/concours/

download.jpg

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Lake George in the summertime is heaven on earth. It's called the "Queen of the American Lakes" for a reason. That said, Lake George Village can be a little crowded and sort of honky tonk during the high season. Its all good clean fun though. If you go, make sure you do two things:

1. Take a ride on one of the Lake George Steamboats ( MinnieHaHa for a short ride, Mohican for a real tour of the 26 mile lake or Lac du San Sacrament in the evening) 

2. Take a drive out of Lake George on the Beach Road and turn left and follow 9L. It's a scenic, very twisty road through wooded Adirondack country. Put your windows down and enjoy. 

PRL

• 4 months later...

Sept is getting closer - am bringing a 1923 Buick Opera Coupe - my question is - what are the judging rules ? Are they based on AACA or 400 pts - thanks and looking forward to Lake George

J, Milewski Jr.

Best thing would be to contact the representative listed on the website link in first post.

It is not point judging. Typically Concours D'Elegance shows mimick (with variation depending on venue) French concours rules, which basically says the cars are rated on the visual impact they make. Other criteria such as the car's condition, authenticity, restoration, rarity and historical importance are also considered, but the main factors are the car's style, beauty, and elegance.

I just noticed the registration is closed for Rivieras so apparently they have met their quota.

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2017 at 1:16 PM, JZRIV said:

I just noticed the registration is closed for Rivieras so apparently they have met their quota.

I just looked at the website and saw that all classes are closed.  Should be quite an ordeal.  Jason, we'll be expecting some great pictures.  I think there happens to be a great photographer who'll be accompanying you.

Ed

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My wife & I took Goldie to Lake George this weekend for the Hemmings Concours.  We participated in the tour up Prospect Mountain on Friday, which then continued on to Dunham's Bay Resort for a buffet lunch.  Saturday was an open cruise-in which I participated in with Goldie.  Sunday was the Concours, which I attended as a spectator (no car).  It was a great weekend and the weather was perfect; if anything maybe a bit too warm -- but I'm not complaining!  It was great to meet a number of folks from the Riviera Owner's Association and this forum, including Pat Curran, Jeff Goldstein, Bob Miller, Jason Zerbini, Mike Hatcher and 'Roadshark'.  Pat was kind enough to look over my car and point out a number of original components and production nuances that I was unaware of and will now make sure to preserve.  Jeff's 'Villa Riviera' was on exhibition at the concours and must be seen in person to fully appreciate!  I also discovered two additional car enthusiasts each located 5 ~ 6 miles from my house in opposite directions!

OK, enough talk for now -- here are some pictures...

Friday -  Prospect Mountain Tour:

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG

IMG_0770.JPG

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

IMG_0774.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

• Like 3

Wayne Carini (Chasing Classic Cars) drove the lead car and mingled with the cars and their owners while we paused at the top of the mountain for sightseeing.  He was more than happy to stop and pose for pictures with proud owners and their cars.  He was present all weekend and gave a terrific talk following dinner Saturday night.  I had heard that Wayne was a 'regular guy' and I have to go further and say he's a 'regular car guy'.  He's happy to talk about cars, whether Ferrari, Porsche, Packard or a 1965 Chevy Biscayne.  In a sea of 'scripted reality' TV I have to say that Wayne's is the real McCoy.  Oh, and did I say he posed with Goldie & me...?

IMG_0786.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EmTee said:

Sunday - Hemmings Concours d' Elegance:

What a fantastic line-up!

Where any awards given?

Is that gorgeous Electra Limited up for sale? The '67 Electra's seem to be more rare than '67 Riviera's now days.

Thanks for the pics, EmTee.  Your ride appears brand new.

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

EmTee - It was a pleasure meeting you on Saturday.  I'm glad I got to see your '67.  I'm a little bummed that I couldn't be there on Sunday too.  Work really cramps my style.

Oh well, a September motorcycle ride across New England was fun, but I was hoping to have the shark ready for the trip.  I got the frame welded and the headers in, but there was still too much buttoning-up to do.  Next time.

PS - remind me about those control arms...

• Thanks 1

Outstanding photos and recap EmTee! Great to finally meet you and see Goldie. What a wonderful well preserved example of a 67. Thanks so much for getting the pics and recaps posted quickly.

I was impressed with the fine organization Hemmings had in place for the event. Was a great opportunity to visit with other ROA members in a setting like the Concours. Lake George area is very nice.

Awards for Riv Class:

3rd Place - Richard Harvey - 1964 (light green)

2nd Place - John DiFrancesco - 1965 GS

1st Place - Al Schmidt - 1970

Villa Riviera was also a big hit with spectators. It was not judged.

Note: Mike and Judy Hatcher drove their 1971 from Detroit area over 700 miles to the event and I would have never guessed that based on the fine condition. Not a mark on it! Hats off to them! 

All Rivs in attendance  were outstanding examples of 63-73 for the spectators to see. The awards MC as well as Wayne Carrini  gave accolades to the Riv line up multiple times. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PWB said:

Is that gorgeous Electra Limited up for sale?

Ha -- I immediately thought of you when i saw it (so I had to get a picture)!  ;)  I don't recall seeing a 'For Sale' sign, but you know what they say: "everything has a price"...  Interestingly, it was a non-A/C car that had what appeared to be a period aftermarket under-dash unit with a York compressor.

11 hours ago, PWB said:

Thanks for the pics, EmTee.  Your ride appears brand new.

Thanks -- I credit the previous owner for taking good care of it for me and resisting the urge to paint it black long enough to acquire the genuine article!

...and if you're hungry for more (I know I am) just pay attention at approximately 1:27!  ;)

https://youtu.be/kjZquVWR6IE

4 hours ago, RoadShark said:

EmTee - It was a pleasure meeting you on Saturday.

Likewise, Bill -- meeting both you and Jim Milewski was an unexpected pleasure.  It turns out that Jim's dad lives about 6 miles east of my house.  Also discovered the owner of a '57 Chrysler Windsor at the show on Saturday lives about the same distance away in the opposite direction!  My 'car guy' universe has expanded greatly in just one weekend!  :P

• Like 1

It truly is a big Buick world.

I went to our local paint shop, Liles. His family has a huge operation and yard.

I get an estimate on a paint job and Mr. Lile says "Hold on, let me show you something." He takes me to his private collection of antiques and in the corner is a mint '67 Riviera. Red with white bucket interior.

Its right front fender was "misaligned" just like mine.

Been sitting in there for years. No time to fix the carb. No time to drive it. Going to leave it for his kids and will never sell it.

Many Buick people with sleeping Buicks out there!

http://www.lilescollision.net

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Concours Pics have been loaded on the ROA website gallery under a new Category "Regional Meets and Riviera Related Shows"

https://rivowners.org/Gallery/thumbnails.php?album=42

Photo credits go to EmTee for getting great pics from all 3 days of the event,. Also Darrell Ingold and myself. And can't forget Al Schmidt for making sure I got a pic with Wayne Carini and the 66 or I would surely have missed the photo opportunity.

Additionally Randall Crain loaded pics from the 2017 ROA Southeastern Regional under same category.

Enjoy

• Thanks 3

• MrEarl unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes Jason, it was covered extensively in Hemmings Motor News recently. I'm sorry I can't

tell you which issue it was in. I always toss my current Hemmings when the new one arrives in the mail. It was last fall, perhaps

the November or December issue?

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)