jsgun

Power window motor removal, any tips?

Thanks.  

Although it is not clear to me how a repaired (or fabricated) arm would be reinstalled.  The pin that goes through the window frame does not appear to be removable without drilling it out.  Is that how others are replacing this arm?  If yes, I'd like to learn more about pressing in a new pin and rivet.  

Also, Ed mentioned that some windows are pressed into their frames, while others are bolted in.  Mine appears to be pressed in since there are no bolts.  Is this arm replacement procedure only viable on a bolted window frame?

Thanks.

jsgun    31

Mine is pressed into the frame. The arm itself is easily removed by drilling out the center of the rivet. I can't remember what size bit it was, I think 3/8. I think a simple bolt and nut would work for reattaching the arm. I plan on using a modified "furniture bolt". It's a bolt with a wide flat and thin head with an allen bit hole on the center. There's a matching nut that goes on the end of the bolt. It gives a very low profile fit. This is all conjecture, I haven't actually made anything yet. I'm attempting to modify these same bolts to make bearing window rollers too. If any of it works out, i'll post my results and how-to.

On 12/18/2016 at 11:55 AM, Eric's.64.Superwildcat said:

This is my winter project as well.  

I have my driver side power window out and found that one of the support arms just hanging from its channel by its roller.  It appears to have broken off from the bottom edge of the window (see photo).  I have a vague recollection from another thread that this isn't uncommon, but that the window should still function properly.  My window worked just fine and I'm assuming this has been broken for a long time.  If this happened to you did you try to repair it?  

I'd be interested to hear from others that have had this happen.  

Thanks.

DSC_0309.JPG

Thanks.

Just a follow up on the replacement of the broken window arm.  I took the piece to a welding shop and had it repaired for $40.  It is now back in service.  A photo of the finished installation is below.  

Thanks for everyone's help.

Dor.interior.finished.JPG

• Like 2

KongaMan    170

The inside of that door looks disgustingly clean. :P

As (I believe) noted earlier, don't close the door by pushing on the glass.  Use the handle.

• Like 2

jsgun    31

It's amazing they could weld that. It looks like some type of pot metal. That door looks incredible. I still haven't made my arm yet, I accidently broke my window and had to locate another one.

KongaMan    170

The window works fine without the arm.  But if you must have one...

You may be able to fab a replacement from two pieces of steel.  By using two pieces fastened together, you could avoid milling material off the front and back.  By using steel, you could probably dispense with the large washer as well, as it's likely there to distribute the lateral forces on the weaker cast metal.

RivNut    1,013

The arced track that that arm runs in has an adjuster on it.  That arm is what keeps the window close to the seal at the top of the window.  The window does work without it but if you're getting wind noise or water at the top of the window, you'll need that arm for the adjustment.

Seafoam65    185

The inside of your door looks so good I would leave the door skin off permanently and show your car like that!