RivNut

Rivieras for sale on local Craigslist

225 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, RivNut said:

He mentions some of the goodies in his ad but he doesn't mention the power vent windows.

It looks pretty rough, but maybe for the price?

Just curious, what does this mean in the second line of his description? "power wing vents"

45 minutes ago, Rivman said:

It looks pretty rough, but maybe for the price?

Just curious, what does this mean in the second line of his description? "power wing 

The same thing that I said.  Just proves that if it ain't written the way I want it to read, it ain't there.  My bad. Ed

Posted (edited)

• Wrong air cleaner
  • battery held in with bungee cord
  • wrong steering wheel
  • wrong door panel trim (should be walnut)
  • door panels are screwed on instead of blind clips
  • door handles installed at wrong angle
  • missing stainless piece next to accelerator pedal
  • brake pedal shows lots of wear

With the seller's description, it's more like a $10K car - IMHO

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
1 person likes this

5 hours ago, RivNut said:
  • Wrong air cleaner
  • battery held in with bungee cord
  • wrong steering wheel
  • wrong door panel trim (should be walnut)
  • door panels are screwed on instead of blind clips
  • door handles installed at wrong angle
  • missing stainless piece next to accelerator pedal
  • brake pedal shows lots of wear

With the seller's description, it's more like a $10K car - IMHO

"Paint looks good with some distance"  tha's a new one,haven't heard that one before. Beautiful car though... With some distance...

Haha. "With a little distance, my checkered past is a little blurry."

appreciate the insights, gents. I have wanted a first gen Riv since I was a kid in the 70's and there was one parked near my house. Used to just stand and stare at that interior. The time is coming that I can finally do that, so I am trying to get educated on what to be looking at. Never had a car older than me before (1971). I would go drive it just to get experience looking at them in detail if it were closer.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Techne - Welcome to the forum. You are wise to do homework before buying. While there is good info shared here, there is a ton more available if you join ROA.

Membership is $30 now but is going up come January.

Relative to the silver 63 linked in post 87 - Is it just me or does it look like a weird misalignment making the nose of the hood look like its drooping down. I thought maybe it was camera angle but looked at 15 or so other pics with similar angle and don't see it. It appears something isn't right with the assembly

00u0u_7z2UHnb82AP_600x450.jpg

Edited by JZRIV
add pic (see edit history)

That is one fine (almost) "Silver Arrow" !!

May be worth the drama.  :blink:

Jason is spot on.  The bottom of the front of the hood should be parallel to the horizontal bars in the grill.  Way too much drama to deal with here.  The rear bumper issue might be just a matter of loosening some bolts, but with the other issues, is it worth chancing it?

Agree the front end looks a little strange . Here is a "one owner " 65 advertised in Hemmings that looks the same way as the 63 . Also the $121,000 GS sold last January at Goodings . Is this just an optical illusion on the silver and gray cars ?  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Probably not the way Bill Mitchell envisioned it or the way Ned Nicklas drew it.  

Ed / Jason - are you thinking that the silver 63 and black 65 have front end damage  to frame  or grill or is this a hood problem ? Couple views of the 63 make it look like the whole front end is angling down ?? Were all the hoods for 63-65 identical? Could it just be the wrong hood on each car from a previous wreck ? 

1st generation hoods are interchangeable. 63 has a different hole for the ornament, a 65 uses a body colored trim piece instead of Chrome. but basically the three years are the same.  63 has a different hood spear than 64 and 65 but that bolts on.  I Googled  "1st generation Riviera grill" and looked at a number of pictures all from different angles.  All those pictures showed the bottom line of the hood parallel to the horizontal bars in the grill, no matter what angle the picture was taken from.  Something is fishy on the ones pictured here.

The top of the grill and headlight assembly's are chrome and not painted silver.  Wrong rear view mirror on driver door and lock ferrules. Carpet on doors doesn't match floor, floor carpet looks odd for some reason.

Now - should the driver wiper arm be above OR below the passenger arm at rest????  :blink:

Those cars have hit something with the nose of the hood bending it down, than have been fixed with bondo.

On the black car, the front bumper is bent upward in the middle and the hood is bent downward in the middle.