alsancle

Pierce Arrow

The 31 Catalog Customs were awesome.  We have two pictured already,  this is a third body style.  It just sold at Hershey.  Back at Pebble they had the Waterhouse and this car lined up back to back and they are pretty close to the same.

photos_pierce-arrow_model_41_1931_1.jpg

OK Ed, here we go.   Taken at the Ursuline College Concours on the Eastside of Cleveland circa 1986.    In the 1980's, a lot of people painted cars maroon/green/blue and silver.   Thankfully that fad has passed.   

DSC01013.JPG

Jason, that 1933 convertible sedan photo is thirty years old, and not very clear. They built 60 of those bodies for the 1931-1933 years. Quite a few have survived, when that photo was taken I was a Cadillac guy, and would remain so for another ten years. I don't recall seeing that car in person, but it looks familiar so I probably have seen a photo of it somewhere.        After two minutes research I can confirm I have seen photos of it in the past, and the car is now  in a large collection in California. I spoke to the collection manager on the phone Monday last week. I will be stopping in to see the collection just before Pebble next year. Maybe I will get a chance to finally see it in person then.  Here is a interesting photo for you. I found this recently, and the Marque experts had not seen it before from what I have been told. Notice the white steering wheel. I have never seen one on a car of this vintage before.

IMG_2001.PNG

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2016 at 9:23 PM, edinmass said:

Jason, that 1933 convertible sedan photo is thirty years old, and not very clear. They built 60 of those bodies for the 1931-1933 years. Quite a few have survived, when that photo was taken I was a Cadillac guy, and would remain so for another ten years. I don't recall seeing that car in person, but it looks familiar so I probably have seen a photo of it somewhere.        After two minutes research I can confirm I have seen photos of it in the past, and the car is now  in a large collection in California. I spoke to the collection manager on the phone Monday last week. I will be stopping in to see the collection just before Pebble next year. Maybe I will get a chance to finally see it in person then.  Here is a interesting photo for you. I found this recently, and the Marque experts had not seen it before from what I have been told. Notice the white steering wheel. I have never seen one on a car of this vintage before.

IMG_2001.PNG

Cool Duesenberg photo

On 10/20/2016 at 10:36 PM, edinmass said:

I didn't run it by Randy, as I don't have his email address. If you have it, please pm it to me.

It is also on page 49 of Olympian Cars.

IMG_2368.JPG

Yes, I know the car. Just recently sold after spending many years in the same garage. I think there are five of them. I owned an identical example and sold it when I built my house. Photo enclosed. 

IMG_2015.PNG

On 10/14/2016 at 1:11 PM, alsancle said:

Here is a 32 LeBaron V12 Catalog custom barn find that Joe Bortz found recently.  It was pictured in the last Pierce club magazine.  I believe identical to the 31 bodies and one of maybe 5 built and 1 or 2 installed on the 32 12 chassis.  Since it is the short wheelbase I believe it is the 150hp smaller 12.

IMG_0787.JPG

This month's Pierce Arrow Club magazine has a great article on this car.  You will need to spend 400k plus to restore it but I could see a Pebble Class trophy in the future.

Weymann Fabric body so it was sort of a rhetorical question.   To my knowledge there are about 12 surviving Weymann's on any chassis.

Chassis is 1929, I can tell from the early style hub cap. I have never seen these photos before, and ran them by my secret 100 year old PA mentor. He said they were cut up,about 65 years ago in the Buffalo area. Ed

I posted this in a thread on the Buy/Sell forum. Perhaps it will be of interest to some here. Apologies to those who have already seen it.

My dad bought a 1933 Model 836 for $300 in Boston in 1960 and we drove it back to Rochester NY the same day (drove out Friday night, bought it Saturday morning and drove it back - made for a long day). When we went to put the new plates on the car we discovered why the owner wasn't concerned with their return - they were cardboard ! Pix is after a respray - the interior was in nice shape.

$300 bought a lot of car in 1960..

PA-7.jpg

PA-6.jpg

PA-8.jpg

PA-5.jpg

Sometime in the late 60's. I was in college and my parents were getting divorced so I really am not sure of the exact year or how it was sold. I don't know whether he sold it to a local GVAC's member or if Bernie Weis helped locate a buyer.

I have an old registration and other information around somewhere although it might take a day or two to locate it.  It would be nice to know that it was well taken care of....he missed it in his old age, one of the few things he was sentimental about.

Finally found the information on my dad's Pierce-Arrow. Would certainly like to know if someone knows where it is - I don't have to know where - just that it's in good hands. It was a beautiful car..... information from a 1960 Massachusetts registration.

VIN               236S2276

Engine          1070440

Thanks

1070440 is actually the serial number of your car.  It's not listed in the 2017 Pierce Arrow Society roster, although I'm sure it sleeps happily in a good garage somewhere, or at least let's hope!

The "VIN" number you give is similar to an engine number, but too many digits, it should be six digits with no letters, and be 235XXX or 236XXX.  According to the serial number, the engine should be in the 235XXX range, so it's possible it had a replacement engine.

We'll see if anyone else has any other information....