Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Highlander160

1947 Super Clipper

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A very nice Model 2103 Super Clipper, body style 2172 on the 127" WB. New proper wool interior and new carpet. I dare you to find a rust hole. Seriously, it's as solid as it gets showing some original paint and some areas that have been sprayed over the years. This is an ex-Harrah's collection car and comes with a certificate to that effect. Clear MI title, 5 new Silvertown radials, new rear shocks, front shocks serviced, all new brakes to include lines, wheel cylinders and all new shoes. Has O/D, heater, radio (not working completely, turns on/off), new battery, new fuel lines and filter, fresh carb rebuild with ethanol resistant components. Chrome is stunning with a fresh replate on the bumpers and the rest in near perfect original condition. The 2103 is recognized by the CCCA to be a classic and what a CARavan car this would be. It could use some minor love here and there but it's off and running right now. Can be seen at Hershey in spaces OBC 23-24. Accepting realistic offers, asking $24,500. If you see it you'll love it, no apologies, runs, shifts, stops and steers just as it should, starts hot or cold every time. 

I can be reached here by PM, or email to:

highlander809@gmail.com     or an old-fashioned ph call:

734 637 1421, text msg is ok too. 

clipper_6.jpg

IMG_20161005_113253718.jpg

clipper_3.jpg

clipper_4.jpg

IMG_20161005_113605055.jpg

Edited by Highlander160 (see edit history)
1 person likes this

It would be nice to read a story where you do just what you say: keep the car because you love it. I hope that happens for you.

Posted (edited)

Mrs Highlander would like a vintage truck. A partial trade toward such a thing would be welcome. No projects, and something that's a reliable runner/driver without a full restoration is more in line with our wants. 48-52 Ford, 57-9 Ford, 55-8 Chevy (no AD styles), and the preference is for short box 1/2 ton versions. Maybe I sound boring here but dadgum this car runs and drives nice. Taking it to work again today and for locals you can see/drive it this Sunday at the Monroe Swap Meet, Oct 30 at the Monroe County Fairgound located on the corner of M-50 and Raisinville Rd. I'll be there from 8am til about 2pm. Thanks for looking in...

Ok, it's one thing to talk about condition and even extend invitations to look. It's a whole different thing to offer a pictorial version. I'm open to real offers on this one. Consider the costs NOT involved in the experience, and in fact 2 of the highest costs like upholstery and chrome plating. Take a peek at the rocker panels, door edges, frame, inner fenders, floors. Look close at the chrome, especially the dash parts in all their diecast near perfect detail. Much of that ends up "washed away" when replated and that particular plating is the most painful to the wallet. Enjoy the pics, and if there's any real interest these may help in deciding. The pictures are nice and big, high res, click on em and blow em up to see just how right it all is.IMG_20161029_152151285_HDR.jpgIMG_20161029_152214971.jpgIMG_20161029_152245768.jpgIMG_20161029_152009550_HDR.jpgIMG_20161029_152037567.jpgIMG_20161029_152051953.jpgIMG_20161029_152108690.jpgIMG_20161029_151351692.jpgIMG_20161029_151433890.jpgIMG_20161029_151538971.jpgIMG_20161029_151600748.jpgIMG_20161029_151646833.jpgIMG_20161029_151733665.jpgIMG_20161029_151801695.jpgIMG_20161029_151828736.jpgIMG_20161029_151059684.jpgIMG_20161029_151125682_HDR.jpg
More pictures, starting with one in front of a genuine "Craftsman" house from the 40s just for the mood. Color removed, of course...
IMG_20161029_144830908.jpg
Cruising a country road at 45 MPH, note the oil pressure, temp, amps, and again the exceptional condition of the interior diecast.
IMG_20161029_150632034.jpg
And last, some seasonal photos. Can you see yourself and friends or family piling in for a color tour or late season rod/custom event? Sure you can...
IMG_20161029_153950315.jpg
IMG_20161029_154009237.jpg
IMG_20161029_154204427.jpg
IMG_20161029_154238568.jpg

You know and I know that's not a rusty car. But 96% of buyers will see that undercarriage and say, "Oh, god, what a mess!"

Thank reality TV and car magazines for making buyers think that every single old car has a sparkling, clean, perfect undercarriage. A good, honest, original car like this won't measure up for most of them. That sucks, mostly because they don't know any better and never will.

Love the car, by the way. Good car at the right price. Someone will get a great high-speed tour car.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

You know and I know that's not a rusty car. But 96% of buyers will see that undercarriage and say, "Oh, god, what a mess!"

Thank reality TV and car magazines for making buyers think that every single old car has a sparkling, clean, perfect undercarriage. A good, honest, original car like this won't measure up for most of them. That sucks, mostly because they don't know any better and never will.

Love the car, by the way. Good car at the right price. Someone will get a great high-speed tour car.

I agree. I respect your efforts to describe  the car honestly, but those particular  undercarriage pictures will hurt your sale. Pictures taken up close from those angles don't fairly represent the car's condition - make it look like it's worse than it is, IMHO. If someone came and looked at the car, I believe it would represent itself as a solid, "honest" car ( I know, an overused, kind of silly term for a car) meaning that when viewed in person, in context with the total condition of the car, the undercarriage condition will seem appropriate, and not an issue. My unsolicited advice - :rolleyes:- lose the undercarriage pictures. If you really feel you need to include some, put the car on a rack and take some overall pictures of the bottom side from a few feet away. This will show its condition in the proper context.

I am in yet another small percentile bracket, maybe more than I know. I thought the car looked really good when it was first posted, still do. But I'm not a buyer.

Bernie

The advice given is not unwanted, and in fact I appreciate supportive input perhaps more than most. It may be true, references to reality TV, people who can't "see" what it really is, yet I have to  rely on my 4 decades plus in this activity. Me? The majority of serious buyers? I'd want to see EXACTLY what it is. I could possibly do a cover up with an enthusiastic power wash and a couple qts of chassis black but then I'd think "cover up" if i were looking at it. Thank you doesn't say enough in my mind, and yet I have to stick to what I always do. My reputation is founded on 100% honesty and integrity. An educated enthusiast in the market for this car should see that condition as almost a dream come true. I tried also to point out that the photos are really hi-def and can be blown up, zoomed in for clarity, and at that point you can see that there's no deep midwest pitting in the frame. Even the front suspension is clean like that, no pits, gouges, bent up rails, etc. In summary this is the condition we hope for on every original or sympathetically preserved car. It's probably $20K from being a 1st place show car but then it would lose some of it's pedigree. The legendary Mr. Harrah knew a good when he saw it. This proves that out, yes? Again, my sincere thanks for the positive support. 

1 person likes this

Nice car. I have always loved this body style and would certainly like to have one but the price is way above what I can spend. 

Beautiful car, honest and forthright presentation. Kudos to you, sir.

Gorgeous car, but do you think that it would benefit from a light color-sanding or a gentle rub out?

Hudsy, it was given a non abrasive polish with an orbital buffer. It might take 1 more but it actually looks fine in person. Get a lot of compliments. Paint is a mix of respray and original, frankly it's a little tough to tell which is which. There's some stains, a scratch or 3, but in the overall someone could enjoy this car for years with reglarl cleaning and waxing. Is it sharp or "show"? No, just nice old paint. The real 'value added' part of that is NO ROT. Someone could literally remove some of the chrome, tape it up, sand it and paint it, reassemble. No patch panels needed, no 1/4-1/2 thick bondo hiding under the paint, essentially free body work! There is a small tweek really low on the rt front fender. Nothing on the car bothers me in the least and I do concours level restoration work for a living. If I end up keeping it I wouldn't make paint a top priority, I'd simply keep it clean and put miles on it. 

I apologize, I assumed that it was a total repaint as part of a restoration. In that case it's in great condition, especially considering that it's a mix of new and old. As I said, it's a gorgeous car.

Had it out for a lovely country drive today. Somebody is going to be so happy they stepped up. Just a reminder, I'd be interested in a trade for an early pickup for Mrs Highlander. Nothing over about 1/2 of the value, and since I'm open to offers don't be shy. I'm kind of looking at F-1 Ford stuff, 49-52, but i'll look at mid 50s as well. 57-8-9 Ford short box works too. Thanks for looking in...

Posted (edited)

Beautiful car.  I find it unusual (to me) that the model name is half on the side of the hood and half on the front door.

I have never noticed any other car like this.  Someone will drive away happy.  

Edited by wldavis
add text (see edit history)
1 person likes this

On 11/2/2016 at 2:10 PM, 31 Caddy said:

I agree. I respect your efforts to describe  the car honestly, but those particular  undercarriage pictures will hurt your sale. Pictures taken up close from those angles don't fairly represent the car's condition - make it look like it's worse than it is, IMHO. If someone came and looked at the car, I believe it would represent itself as a solid, "honest" car ( I know, an overused, kind of silly term for a car) meaning that when viewed in person, in context with the total condition of the car, the undercarriage condition will seem appropriate, and not an issue. My unsolicited advice - :rolleyes:- lose the undercarriage pictures. If you really feel you need to include some, put the car on a rack and take some overall pictures of the bottom side from a few feet away. This will show its condition in the proper context.

I agree, put the car up on a rack so a mechanic can look for places where grease or oil is currently leaking. 

7 hours ago, wldavis said:

Beautiful car.  I find it unusual (to me) that the model name is half on the side of the hood and half on the front door.

If that is a 1951 Plymouth in your picture, I learned to drive in one of those.  Dad's car was sort of a Interstate highway green. :)

On 11/2/2016 at 2:10 PM, 31 Caddy said:

I completely disagree. Anyone that comes and looks at the car after seeing these photos and getting an extremely good description of its condition will not be disappointed. However, if you hide anything, the possible buyer WILL BE disappointed and will start negotiating if not walk away completely. If you're honest with your description, you will not waste the buyer's time, and you will not waste your own time. Win-win situation. Many times I've sold a car to the very first buyer because they have nothing to negotiate. They usually say that the car is much better than they were imagining, and pay full asking price.

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

A clean unmolested CCCA classic. It really is as good as it looks. Still willing to listen to a partial trade. Got an older pickup? Mrs Highlander would like one. Save me from keeping this! BTW, I just put a NOS armature, sealed bearing and permalube bushing, and new brushes in the generator. The like new regulator has been adjusted to work right to spec as well. Charges hard after a start, backs off to about 8-10 amps within minutes. This keeps the battery life up and avoids cooking the plates from over charging. 6V batteries don't like too many amps. 

1 person likes this

On 11/26/2016 at 7:42 PM, wldavis said:

Again, I agree with everyone here, the car is stunning and priced fairly. I would love to make a leisurely trip back here to California behind that wheel. 

This is interesting. I scrolled back to view the images again after reading this post and realized that the emblems read opposite on both sides of the car. Driver's side reads Super Clipper while passenger side reads Clipper Super. Why would Packard choose that order?

Posted (edited)

On 2/10/2017 at 4:05 PM, GregLaR said:

Again, I agree with everyone here, the car is stunning and priced fairly. I would love to make a leisurely trip back here to California behind that wheel. 

This is interesting. I scrolled back to view the images again after reading this post and realized that the emblems read opposite on both sides of the car. Driver's side reads Super Clipper while passenger side reads Clipper Super. Why would Packard choose that order?

There were about 4 Clipper models by then. Clipper (6 cyl.), Deluxe Clipper, Super Clipper and Custom Super Clipper. It was an engineering choice to have the doors with Clipper call-outs, and apparently less of an issue to them that it was a "Super Clipper" on one side and a "Clipper Super" on the other (as well as Deluxe). The Custom Super had nothing on the doors or fenders, just the chrome (bright) side moldings. Customs also had a different interior with a large contrasting welt design, a chrome steering column, different chrome trim on the doors, inside door pulls on the trim moldings, 1/2 burl 1/2 straight  woodgrain inside, and leather on the door and seat bottoms vs vinyl. I'm told that all Custom Supers were equipped with skirts as well, an option on the other 3 models. The custom Super also has cloisenne' (clear red enameled) hub cap centers. The Super is mechanically identical to the Custom with a 127" wheelbase and the 356 CID 9 main straight 8. Arguably the best engine ever from Packard. With O/D it cruises at 60-65 without ever breaking a sweat. Yes, this one has O/D and it works exactly as it should.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the explanation! B)

Spring is in the air, coming early this year. Best to enjoy it behind the wheel of a Senior series Clipper, yes?

Took it out Sunday since the weather here was so inviting. Splashed a little fresh premium gas in it to mix with the Sta-Bil storage fuel (love that fill up whistle too). It liked that a lot. Smooth and powerful, O/D welcome and working stellar. Time to clean it up and start driving it again. Save me from myself and take this off my hands!!