Closed car roof insert toppring material.

In the early to mid 1930s the closed cars, coupes, two doors, sedans used a leather-like topping material sealed at its edges for water proofing.   Depending on brand of car, many of these were a nearly smooth material and NOT the heavy grained stuff that was used on Model A Ford for example.   I'm really thinking early '30s here with some 15" of stamped steel outer roof sides and rear and then the material inserting the center.  Those types were a smooth pattern so as to look like the coming full turret steel tops of the late '30s.

Where can one purchase a suitable, exterior use topping material that is plain - smooth?

Thanks for any suggestions.

If you don't want a linear grained material, there are a couple of random grain materials that look suitable.  See the picture, the one on left is a matte black and is Jonarts style #250/B, the one on right is a glossier black and is Jonarts style 1402DA.  Both have a very "mild" pattern, which probably isn't as aggressive as it appears in the picture.  Available from Haartz, you probably need to contact Eric Haartz to get price and availability, the prices on the tags on samples are from 2 years ago.

Eric will be at Hershey if you wish to speak to him directly, he's a great help to us old car guys and he really, really knows his stuff on top material!  I don't know space number but think it's in Red field....

TWO TOP MATERIALS.JPG

Thanks trimacar.    Looking for "smoother" or "no-grain".. I might better call it the texture of "oil cloth" such as those old kitchen table cloths probably still used in some pizzerias.   Just a faint pebble or cross-hatch to it.  

The needy car, though few will identify with it, is a '33 Essex-Terraplane model KT (8 cyl) sedan.

Yes, certainly could be it.   I was just trying to see the multiple textures offered here:  https://www.fabric.com/buy/0448617/outdoor-waterproof-oxford-sailcloth-black?cm_vc=756b1813-cbc1-43b3-84bd-29889bf8fb7b

and would probably have to get swatches to match up with the remains of the original.   Excellent prices too.

Thanks to those who responded so quickly today.

The "oilcloth" made today bears little resemblance to the early stuff, as Jeff has mentioned.  For some reason, the subject of top material for inserts is a constant discussion as to what's correct.  There's a whole thread on it on the Pierce Arrow Society website forum, and even with pictures and samples of original tops, it's hard to get agreement on what's "correct".

I think manufacturers used different materials, even on similar year production runs.  Also, the science of fabric was developing during the 20's and 30's, so there are a lot of differences in what was used for manufacture.

True oilcloth went through a number of process steps, and ended up being an early variety of vinyl, but not quite.  Read the Wikipedia description for clarification.

Today we have numerous toppings available to us, I've posted on these before.  We'll never have the "real thing", unfortunately, but on the other hand, the "real thing" only lasted for a few years, and that was if you put top dressing on it faithfully once or twice a year.  I'm a trimmer and a purist at heart, but at some point, you have to deal with the fact that, in the case of top inserts,  we have to work with the modern materials that most closely replicate the original, as the original materials are just not available.

• 2 weeks later...