Kosage Chavis

1955 Buick general questions

So, you don't have all the parts for the power windows?  "Dude you're screwed"

I swapped power parts from one crusty door to what was originally a non power door and it was a near nightmare:  templates to be made, new holes drilled, holes cut into inner panel for the switch, transfer the 'cage' for the switch, hole cut at front for wires, hole cut in 'A' pillar for wires.  This upgrade should not be attempted without a complete donor parts car!  Probably easier to convert using supplies from a hotrod vendor.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, old-tank said:

So, you don't have all the parts for the power windows?  "Dude you're screwed"

I swapped power parts from one crusty door to what was originally a non power door and it was a near nightmare:  templates to be made, new holes drilled, holes cut into inner panel for the switch, transfer the 'cage' for the switch, hole cut at front for wires, hole cut in 'A' pillar for wires.  This upgrade should not be attempted without a complete donor parts car!  Probably easier to convert using supplies from a hotrod vendor.

The hard work doesn't bother me at all.  I assume the guides are the same.  Just need the regulators.  However, I was wondering if the manual regulators could be modified to fit the motors.  More than one way to skin a cat...right?

I am almost positive that the 1955 88 series would be the same as 1955 Century.  Need to research body manuals and parts books for 1955 Olds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old-tank said:

I am almost positive that the 1955 88 series would be the same as 1955 Century.  Need to research body manuals and parts books for 1955 Olds.

So 98 series would be a "no-go"?

16 minutes ago, Kosage Chavis said:

So 98 series would be a "no-go"?

I didn't say that.  Do the research.  May need to talk to Mike Fuscik at Fuscik Olds (has Buick parts too).  The 98 is a long wheelbase, but is still the narrow body like the Century and 88...not wide like the 55 Roadmaster and Caddy.

• Like 2

So I was looking over part numbers in my parts book to see what would work in terms of Buicks alone.

For the front power window regulators, the part numbers are 4157318 (right) and 4157319 (left).  Both of these parts work on Special convertibles, Special rivieras and Century rivieras, years 54 thru 56.  What about Century convertibles?  Well, these same part numbers only fit years 55 and 56.  I am not sure why they left out the 54's.

For the rear power quarter window regulators, the part numbers are 4158334 (right) and 4158335 (left). These part numbers only fit the Special rivieras and Century rivieras for years 55 and 56.   Nothing is listed for 54's at all for anything, leading me to believe that 54's did not have rear power windows available for the smaller series Buick. That would explain the reason why I have heard of some Buicks with only power windows for the front alone.  

There is a salvage yard owner in Custer WI selling power window and seat parts very reasonably priced on ebay of all places. Bowtiebits search on ebay. If you cant afford what he is listing.....Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/401192396876 Sorry, old guy struggles with tech. This is the link to Custer not bowtiebits

Edited by 2carb40
Dimbulb (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hey guys.  I took a chance on an ebay part.  The parts were described as power rear quarter window parts from a 1955 Oldsmobile 2 door hardtop.  Came with the regulator withmotor still mounted to it and 2 sets of guides.  Here's a couple of pictures.20170410_181710.thumb.jpg.40342be8fb95b3c0cf8a3390aa27d8bf.jpg20170410_181732.thumb.jpg.9997554d86de1319d69264e108914c19.jpgQuestion is...is the regulator the correct one for my car?  There is a number stamped on the arm, but I searched for this number on my interchange manual and found nothing.  20170410_182826.thumb.jpg.8c1dd7569f7692898504b1361bea673e.jpgCan soneone help me please?  Thank you.

Numbers stamped or cast into parts are usually meaningless.  I doubt you will get an answer to this obscure situation.  Here's a novel idea:  assemble the parts and get it working...better to find out now that you have all the parts needed and how to install before it is painted. :D

• Like 1

Does anyone have or know anything about the power window relays (54-56)? I see a pictured diagram of this relay on page 110-A in the Master Body Parts Book along with the rest of the power window assembly.  The part number for this relay is 1116895.  

Questions...is there one relay per window?  Is the relay mounted inside the doors?  How interchangeable are the original relays with new relays?  Thanks for any help.

Thanks Man

You are gettin' a 2fer on this one. I'm glad your responding cuz even though I'm doing other tasks right now, like trying to get my Cent at least yard driving, I appreciate your descriptions about these issues I will also be needing to check and insure operation of.

So one circuit breaker and one relay handle both the power seat AND the windows, correct, and they are both located in the drivers side kick panel, correct. 

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

So one circuit breaker and one relay handle both the power seat AND the windows, correct, and they are both located in the drivers side kick panel, correct. 

Yes to everthing.  At least that's what sounded like to me Mr Lamar.

55 power brake question...cars equipped with power brakes, don't these cars have a fitting that threads into the front, top area of the intake manifold that connect up to the brake vacuum line?  My car doesn't have power brakes but still has the fitting seen here...20171118_162347.thumb.jpg.7d1d5b04783de1415e758c1516aa5387.jpg20171118_162506.thumb.jpg.7353c4a328c672088dcc554ad3aa12bf.jpgThe fitting shown here is sort of like a 90 degree flared fitting.  I am assuming cars with power brakes have a tee fitting instead, which allows connectivity to the fuel pump and brake vacuum line simultaneously.  Is my assumption correct?  Thank you for any help.  Please provide pictures that show power brake setup for this fitting if possible.

I remembered reading this a while ago and just remembered, having seen in another thread posted by Greg, the T-fitting. Here it is, both from my car and his thread:

18034043_10156007010180830_1883862793483

On the end of the line is a really big one way check valve where the vacuum tubing hooks in. I don't have any pictures of it, unfortunately. I do however have a spare, and I may have a T fitting. When I go back for the holidays, you can have them if you want for the cost of shipping. The vacuum check valve is pretty corroded and would probably need to be taken apart to have the rubber piece replaced.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Beemon said:

On the end of the line is a really big one way check valve where the vacuum tubing hooks in. I don't have any pictures of it, unfortunately. I do however have a spare, and I may have a T fitting. When I go back for the holidays, you can have them if you want for the cost of shipping. The vacuum check valve is pretty corroded and would probably need to be taken apart to have the rubber piece replaced.

Thank you for the pictures Ben!  That helps a lot.  I assume this is the factory set-up?  Are the spare T-fitting and check valve that have now factory?  Could you send me some pictures of both?  I am very interested in purchasing.  Let me know and thanks again?

Edited by Kosage Chavis (see edit history)

Yep that's factory set up. The hoop in the brake vacuum line is to clear the throttle. This is for a 56, so it may vary for 55 but I think the steel line part is the same. I've got two weeks left at the university before I'm back home, so I'll get the pictures then. 

• Thanks 1