Beals and Selkirk Car Trunk Drawings or Schematic

Mark Gregory

I am looking to make a car trunk for a 1931 Reo Royale Victoria . Which sits in the actual trunk after you remove the metal trunk lid from the factory . According to another Reo Royale owner who has the original trunk on his car it is a Beals and Selkirk Trunk from Michigan . He lives about 2,000  miles from my house so it is not so easy to go see it and measure it . Is there drawings or schematics out there for this ? I tried looking to see if there was a patent but could not find any .

I did a search on B&S years ago and came up basically empty. Even contacted the Wyandotte Library and Historical group. The B&S factory was in Wyandotte, Michigan and made generic trunks for auto and wardrobe units for passengers on cruise ships and suitcases. Lincoln used them starting in 1932. Their one unique signature was the scalloped molding on the side giving a dimensional look.

Attached is an emblem I found which you can reproduce. I'm about to publish a simple way to make brass emblems, plaques and stencils. I'll send the link once its published. I suggest making your own trunk out of cabinet grade plywood and attach piano hinges and hardware using the threaded rivet method. http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public4/threaded-rivets-1.cfm Cover it in book binding grade vinyl which is thin to fold around edges and corners..

scan0026.jpg

Beals_Selkirk_Emblem1.jpg

IMG_1313.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gregg Cashen

I have a Beals and Selkirk trunk that may meet your needs.  Please feel free to contact me for more information or if you are interested in purchasing it.  My e-mail is gregg.cashen@verizon.net.

B&S Trunk 1.jpg

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG