1913 Buick Roadster Denver CO craigslist

Oregon Desert model 45

NOT MINE

REPOSTED FROM CRAIGSLIST

1913 Buick - $25000 (quincy and sante fe)

https://denver.craigslist.org/atq/5788888118.html

I am selling my 1913 Buick if you enjoy old vehicles and are a collector than this would be I beauty in your collection... Contact

me at the name and number as listed... Thanks for looking

Donnie        (303) 809-4099

00i0i_jtFhEmh1YT_1200x900.jpg

00t0t_k3RNVrUQgEv_1200x900.jpg

01414_jxg6cAJqGOt_1200x900.jpg

I really took a liking to this (looks to be a model 30) till I saw that the fenders and all the trim, lamps, windshield are painted the same deep blue. I will still call just to get the story. The last 4, 1913-31s I inquired on that were available on a craigslist ad indicated that they all ran and were drive able. None of which were true. The one I offered on in Belle Vernon PA. was sold in May and when it was tried on tour the 2nd gear went out on the new owner the first day. I questioned the previous seller about the stuck clutch and the problematic 2nd gear. He said "just needs a simple adjustment". Car also did not run as promised.

Joan and I had been guests of Larry and Joyce Schramm.  Having a great time riding in a very nice 1913-31 at the Greenfield Village Old Car Festival the previous weekend. The car is from Ontario and the owners said that if I was interested in one that I should get the feel for it. They said, "Let's go for a ride"!!!!! What a great fun day. Thanks again to the Schramms!

DSCF5431.JPG

DSCF5432.JPG

DSCF5433.JPG

• Like 1

Couldn't agree with buying a project Rod.  Many years of bringing a car back to life and with the cost of plating, painting, upholstery and all you will have more in the job than buying an old restoration at a good deal.  Then you can drive the car and perform upgrades in the winter, still expensive, but more of a sure thing.  I am presently restoring a '15 McLaughlin which has not been on the road since 1991.  A good, complete auto which I know the history of since new.  I thought I was buying it cheaply but I will be underwater when it is finished.  On the upside it will all be new and proper. two years to do the job, about half way through.  Gary

I just spoke with the seller of the 1913 Buick posted on the forum.  He sent more photos to my wife's phone but cannot be enlarged beyond postage stamp size. Model 30. He confirmed all the fenders and trim including top sockets are dark blue.

Same story, different day. Granddads car... Interpretive  40 year old + restoration..... Has not been run for 25-30 years. Nice looking car though. Still big money for a non running car.

• Like 1

The 1913-31 we rode in had the cut out, as the owner used it during our ride. Love that roar! I had been working on some agreement with a gentleman in Michigan who has a 1913-31 for sale. When I went to look at it after the old car festival I took more photos. Some of the questions I asked told me that he did not know the car as well as I had hoped. I crawled under and found this exhaust. He was not aware that it originally had a cut out. Again, some issues and not running at this time. I thought I could of least heard it run.

DSCF5535.JPGDSCF5537.JPG

I've seen the car in Michigan and I saw it running in 2008? at the GM Centennial Parade in Flint.  It should make for a good car to drive and restore over time, see my post above.  I know it has issues, perhaps if you explain to the owner how much money the repairs would cost and everyone is reasonable a deal could be struck.  After all how often do you get a chance to obtain a 100 year old auto.  Good hunting.  Gary

BTW.  The exhaust parts are present including the cutout..  the missing parts are just pipes easily obtainable.

Edited by cxgvd
add a line (see edit history)

I have tried to explain the problems with getting it back to correct and the obvious issues but he seems to be stuck on a price. His price in Hemmings was $32,500. As was the same with the one I looked at it Belle Vernon, the only inquiries were from brokers who wanted to list the car for a fee. In both cases I was the only one to actually come and look at the car. He said the top was in bad shape but would not agree to raise it so we could check. The dash had a later Delco switch unit cut in even though there were no electric lights. Probably at one time it did since it has the mounted period aftermarket generator. He said the magneto was not functioning. IMG_4275.JPGIMG_4276.JPGIMG_4277.JPG

Sorry to hear the seller isn't being reasonable, I think you could do wonderful things with this car,  A rebuilt magneto is likely $500, the top takes 9 yards of Stayfast at $68 each from LeBaron Bonney plus some assembly required.  Have no idea what the generator is although it looks to be well done.  Wrong intake manifold and is that a model A carby?  Carby is for Rod, that is the correct term isn't it.  The four brass fittings under the spark plugs are the remains of the acetylene starter.  I've not seen a complete setup though I understand a fellow who uses this forum has one intact.  Again best of luck.  Gary

For Rod and not to hijack this thread here is a photo as found of the 1915 McLaughlin ( Canadian Buick) my wife and purchased last year for 6,000 to 7,000 USD, hasn't run since 1991.  We know the history from new, the fellow we got it from has had it since 1969 and the original purchaser owned until the second world war began.  Presently receiving a complete rebuild, just replaced four or five pieces of structural wood and repainted the body a correct dark blue.  The fellow told me the engine was rebuilt which I discounted to mean new sparkplugs but was pleasantly surprized to find it was and is excellent.  With what I thought was a good starting price I will have more invested than I could reasonable sell it for and what a lot of work.  Though electric start, HCCA and Snappers car.  Gary

DSC_1399.JPG

Gary,  Will be looking forward to seeing pics of the car when it,s finished.  You were lucky the wood was in such good condition. In Australia we just dream of prices like that. When we buy parts or cars from the U,S  the final price is double the purchase price.  I never even try and keep track of the money I put into my cars,  My wife might shoot me.  

On 9/23/2016 at 6:30 AM, dibarlaw said:

I have tried to explain the problems with getting it back to correct and the obvious issues but he seems to be stuck on a price. His price in Hemmings was $32,500. As was the same with the one I looked at it Belle Vernon, the only inquiries were from brokers who wanted to list the car for a fee. In both cases I was the only one to actually come and look at the car. He said the top was in bad shape but would not agree to raise it so we could check. The dash had a later Delco switch unit cut in even though there were no electric lights. Probably at one time it did since it has the mounted period aftermarket generator. He said the magneto was not functioning.

Larry,

The generator is not aftermarket.  I have one on my 1913 Buick Model 31 too.  This was the first year for electric headlights with factory bulb sockets in the corners of the kerosene side lights and tail light.  It was also the only year for the optional acetylene starting system.  I agree that the dash switches and ammeter are not correct for 1913.  There should be only three push button switches for lights.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, hmmca said:

Anyone know if the car in the first post is still for sale?

Thanks

Even though the short-lived Craig's List link is dead,

our original poster copied all the information into our forum.

Anyone can call the seller, thankfully, and see.

For many cars, it is a buyer's market, so cars

don't often sell quickly.  Maybe it's still awaiting 

a berth in your garage!