Door Handles

Joe in Canada

Got back from a tour last night and then surprise surprise my locking door handle is broken and just spins. I have always been an advocate that it is not worth restoring original handles seeing the pot metal becomes brittle and breaks. Seeing I was not listening to myself and had the originals redone years ago and now can not get into my car seeing it was the keyed passenger side with the problem.  Anyone have a suggestion how to get in leaving no tell tail marks on my car? Its a 1930 Cadillac and Buick is the same I believe.  Thanks Joe

When my Grandfather broke the handle on his/my Pontiac in 1946 he was able crawl under the car and push the front floor board up enough to reach up and use the inside handle.  You might be able to put a worm drive hose clamp around the pot metal part and get it to squeeze tight enough to turn the shaft.  Last ditch attempt would be to break the pot metal off and use vise grips on the shaft.

If the handle spins on the shaft, can a person drill through the side of the handle and center shaft. And slide in a pin or nail through the handle and shaft? I have no 30 Cad handle to look at to see if that is a option. Might also be able to take a die grinder with a cut off wheel. cut off the handle at the base plate. This might allow you to slide out the center shaft, and then use a tool to reach in and turn the latch. Again, I do not have a handle to look at.

Edited by Xander Wildeisen (see edit history)

This is the locking handle so I can not drill into the centre as it will be reused. The floor has a locking mechanism on the inside to hold it down. So I can not go through the floor. The screw to hold it in place is on the inside. I think I will drill a hole through the trunk then stick a rebar in and flip the drivers door toggle lock if I am lucky.

You may be able to turn the two floor locks on the main floor panel from underneath. They are a square drive on the top that rotates a tab. You could turn the tab from the bottom with a hammer and screwdriver. Bigger problems would be: 1) Have additional screws been driven through the floor pan? 2) What kind of snap down mats( if any) are on top of the floor pan and underneath the carpet? 3) Has the edge of the carpet been installed underneath the sill plates? It may come down to breaking the door glass. I have installed several on 31's and its not difficult. About $65 to have a piece of safety glass cut for it.

Can you open one of the other doors? Get a length of plastic packing strap (that crinkly blue stuff) and fold it in half, with a crease at the fold. You should be able to push the creased fold in around the top of the door and move it around until you can open the inner handle. If it has push-down locking buttons, you can hook one and pull it up. All older doors can be sprung slightly at the top to push the strap loop in. Once the door is open you can do what you need to inside or outside to extract the lock mechanism without damage.

I'm trying to recall how the inside door handles operated on the '31 sedan I had previously. ( pull up or push down to open?) The inside handles on my current convertible coupe as well as the single inside lock lever which is on the drivers door, must all be pushed down to open or unlock the door. That car has suicide doors, so it might be different. I'm thinking your handles are push down to open as well though.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Hmmm. You might be right. The other thing the towies used to do (in the same way, by springing the door top a half inch or so) was use a thin flat steel bar with a notch near the end. You could probably make something with a twist so you could hook the notch over the door handle and push it open. You would feed the flat in and rotate as you go up the twist. You could even get clever and make a way you could attach a plastic strap to it. You can manipulate the loop by push one end or the other. The crease determines which way the loop bends when you push or pull one side. Grab the handle in the loop and push with the bar.

If I was in that situation I would call one of the local paintless dent removal guys. They have a lot of neat tools to get into internal places. I bet one of them could trip a lock or raise a handle in a few minutes. They are good. Don't leave them out.

Bernie

I'm an idiot. Obviously, whether or not he can lift an interior handle to open the other door simply depends on which way the handles were oriented on the stems when installed. They could be either push down or pull up to open.

15 hours ago, 31 Caddy said:

15 hours ago, 31 Caddy said:

You may be able to turn the two floor locks on the main floor panel from underneath. They are a square drive on the top that rotates a tab. You could turn the tab from the bottom with a hammer and screwdriver. Bigger problems would be: 1) Have additional screws been driven through the floor pan? 2) What kind of snap down mats( if any) are on top of the floor pan and underneath the carpet? 3) Has the edge of the carpet been installed underneath the sill plates? It may come down to breaking the door glass. I have installed several on 31's and its not difficult. About $65 to have a piece of safety glass cut for it.

Thanks for all the suggestion and I know with out seeing it is a longshot with out seeing it. The floor locks are over the frame so they are non excisable from below and the other boards are screwed from above.  

I was able to get at the lock by drilling a hole in the back seat rest through the trunk. Then with a length of rebar through the hole in the trunk push out the back seat and then flip the lock to open the door.

The steal shaft that goes through the door to the lock has broken free of the handle. The pot metal handle just spins on the steal shaft now. I will have two new outside handles made as I have already had inside ones made now. If I had a sedan I guess I would have to take 31cadys advise and broke a window.

No more original pot metal handles.

2016-09-18 broken handle 002.JPG

2016-09-18 broken handle 005.JPG

2016-09-18 broken handle 009.JPG

Sent my two outside handles to Mike Butters to make me new ones. Big mistake when I had him do the inside ones that were seized but not the outside ones. Now I payee for the original ones to be chromed and now throwing them in the garbage. 

• 9 months later...

Got my door handle back to-day, well I guess part of it anyway. He cast a new handle and was able to use the original lock tumbler and works so you can not tell it from an original handle. Mike Butters does beautiful work I must say. Never again will I use original handles if they need new chrome.

All set for the Vintage Tour in Pa. and taking the closed car again with all the rain we have been having.  

Yes and I have my room booked for Hershey so we may see you there Bill.

2017-06-26 handle 001.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)