UNKNOWN IGNITOR FROM A VERY EARLY AUTO??

It is a make and break ignitor, as commonly used on stationary engines. There is some limited early automotive use and I'll try to dig out some info from some of my early literature and send a picture or two of some similar items in my spark plug collection.   I am not sure about the brass yoke, it was obviously used to carry a live wire from an electrical source (battery) and it may have simply been used to keep some wires untangled.   It might be of interest to someone who collects spark plus.  Let me now what you had planned for it.  Most certainly not Cadillac.  I'll post a pic of the correct one cylinder Cadillac plug assembly.

thanks,

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

Thanks to all who have commented on Mr. Babcock's post. Mr. Babcock, are there any distinguishing markings on this piece? We do have a few files on stationary engines, along with a few early books on the subject.

Best Regards,

Matthew Hocker

Assistant Librarian

Got the camera out this evening - here are a couple of photos showing the Ignitor from my spark plug collection.  I've also included a photo showing two of the "plugs" used in these devices, and a page from a catalog in my collection from Gamages, London, dated 1906.  For automotive use, it seems these were more commonly used in early European cars.   I guess it would take digging into the library collection of early literature to see if any info on these exists for some of the cars referenced in the page from Gamages catalog.  I was always told that mine was used in a De Detrich, circa 1904/5.  David, your's of course is not like the one I have, but I do still believe it comes from a one-cylinder stationary engine.  Just a guess on my part, but perhaps you can try a post on the gas-engine enthusiasts forum - http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5   You might get lots of people asking to buy it, but if it needs to go to a dedicated spark plug collector, my hand is in the air!  If you are interested in collecting early spark plugs this could form the basis of a nice collection (remember, three of anything is a collection).  There will be a big gathering of the members of the Spark Plug Collectors of America (SPCOA) at Hershey so if you are going to attend stick it in your pocket for our show-and-tell session.  Let me know and I'll post details.  Our little club of plug collectors has been around over 40 years now and there is a good bunch of about 300 dedicated members world-wide.  Our quarterly publication "The Ignitor" contains a wealth of information on plugs and alone is worth the price of membership. 

I have also heard that some of these early "plugs" were produced by the firm Claudel-Hobson, but I have no info to confirm that.  I've also added a couple of photos showing the one-cylinder Cadillac spark plug assembly.  Mine is still in it's original wooden box. 

Anxious to learn more- and happy collecting!

Look me up at GCC 5-6 later in the afternoon and bring old spark plugs!

Terry

Gamages 1906 image 1.jpg

IMG_9506.JPG

IMG_9516.JPG

IMG_9519.JPG

IMG_9522.JPG

IMG_9523.JPG

IMG_9524.JPG

IMG_9527.JPG

Hi Mr. Babcock,

I've not yet had a chance to look through our holdings; I've been preparing for next week's Fall Meet Yard Sale. I will be able to dig more into this when things wind down after Fall Meet or if there is any downtime next week. 

In the meantime, if you find out anything else feel free to post it here. Have a good one.

Sincerely,

Matthew Hocker

Assistant Librarian

• 1 month later...