Vintage AC fuel pump numbers

ricosan

Hey Guys,

I've been searching for about two years for a fuel pump for my '32 Marmon.  I look at 5 or 10 pumps every day.  I've found many that resemble my pump in every way except the arm.  The pumps are always listed with "identifying" numbers.  The numbers on my pump are " 5644 " at the neck where it is bolted to the engine and 855644 on the top.   I don't know which "Type"  number my pump is. 

Can anyone offer any insight into what these numbers mean?

ricosan

Just learning this my self . Understand the neck 4 digit is model overall  , the 855xxx if it is on top of filter section is that component check under pump section for second long number . Sometimes maybe  you have to get parts separate to build your own .

tom

• Like 1

Recently on eBay there have been a couple of AC fuel pump catalogues, one from 1928 and one from a bit later. They might be useful to you. Here is one there now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Fuel-Pumps-Catalog-1929-1963-Listings-Part-s-Cross-Reference-Drawings-MORE-/131928806869?hash=item1eb791d5d5:g:qy0AAOSwwbdWGmRj&vxp=mtr

If you have an arm, perhaps worn, can you make another? Laser or very high pressure water cut?

855644 is the AC part number for the entire pump, which will include the top, bottom and arm. The arm will have a separate part number as will the top and bottom of the pump. My pump is a type B with arm 5501, top 855219, bottom 855228, pump part number 855471 (5471 on the boss above the mounting flange) and is type 449. This should all be in the type of catalogue shown above.

My interchange books don't include '32 Marmon. Sorry.

If you have made up a pump that looks right, what is the problem? Wrong arm? Can you put up an in-focus picture?

Based on the photo in your 2015 thread referenced above, it is a Model B like mine. If so, MODEL B will be cast on the underside of the lower body. Many vehicles used that base with a different top. Does it have one spring or two inside acting on the arm linkage?

If you have that, it is pretty right and you have enough to go with if you have the right arm. The tops also get warped by the bowl retaining screw being over-tightened so the bowl rocks on the seat and it doesn't "suck". That can be straightened, gradually and gently. I can give you instructions for that: I have just done it. You could probably straighten the warped flange in the same way, with great care.

If you want instructions on disassembly and repair, I can copy MoToR's Manual pages on it.

Thanks for the information Guys.  

hwellens:  Because the flange on my 5644 pump had broken, my mechanic was able to take the arm from my original pump (5644) and install it on another used case.  I'm affraid I don't know the numbers on the case he used.  He told me I needed to find another fuel pump because he wasn't sure how reliable this pump would be.  He said I should have a spare to take on long trips that I have planned.

Spinny:  That has been my plan.  Replace the arm in a serviceable case.  My problem is that I'm not sure case to get.  What do I need to look for in a case that will produce the amount of fuel I'll need to run at highway speeds.

Fuel Pump Arm.jpg

Ricosan, so the pump that was on the car is the correct one. I am suspicious of the arm because it has bent and broken the original base and you need a spacer for the replacement. It sounds as though it is too long.

Can you put up in-focus photos of your correct pump from above and from below?

Can you show us a pump that looks like your correct pump?

Look at the underside of the base you have replaced (the photo in your other thread of the base with broken mounting flange). Look at the rounded part on both sides. Does it show Model B cast into the surface. Any base like that might fit. Look for the size of the arm pin, the shape of it where the arm goes in etc. The pump must be the same. There are one or two variations. The piece that screws onto that base has three screws and usually has 855228 cast into it.

This one is a model B type 419 and fits Chrysler and Plymouth as stated. The body (top #855219 and bottom #855228) are the same as mine (type 449) but the arm is different. This is supposedly the same as type 411. The bottom of this is probably the same as yours.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371728938463?ul_noapp=true

Model B pumps all have this base. Only the top and arm changes, and the type of one-way valves (under the hexagon nuts on top).

I may have more information after club night on Monday. There are old AC catalogues in the library.

About running out of puff at 55 mph. Has the fuel line been flattened a bit anywhere?

Hey Guys,

We got hit dead on by hurricane Hermine.  Although it was only a catagory 1 storm, it knocked trees down all over town.  It has been a week and some people in town still have no electricity. 

Cahartley and Tinindian: Thanks for the adresses.  

Spinney: This is the pump that was on the car when I purchased the car about 3 years ago. Unfortunately my car is not in my garage and checking, I can't find any pictures of the new pump. I would go out right now if I could and take some pics but the car is 300 miles away at a restoration shop in St. Petersburg.  Looking through my photos I came across this other picture of the arm.  It looks like the numbers 5051 re stamped into the side.  I found some pictures of the pump that was replaced but I am having some difficulty uploading them.

The car is equipped with an electric fuel pump as a back-up and after 55mph I have to switch it on to supply enough fuel to the engine.

ricosan

20150312_104649.jpg

pump 3 Copy.jpg

Thanks Spinney so my broken pump 855644 was the correct pump for my car.  This is the number I've been searching for but with no luck.

I've seen a lot of cases that have the right bolt pattern for attaching to my engine and look just like my pump.   I get a bottom that looks just like my pump combined with a top that looks like my pump and change out the arm.  How do I figure out if I am getting the right one way valve under the hex nut and if not are these available?

ricosan

The one way valve consists of four pieces: the brass top (nut), a narrow washer under it, a spring inside and a little flat piece of something. I don't know, but I would think you should have two flat top brass nut one way valves. The dome top valve has the same number of pieces; I don't know the benefit of the dome top. There seem to be two sizes of brass nut, just use the ones with it or that look the same if you want to replace damaged nuts. They don't wear out much so just use the best nuts you can that fit.

Just be careful with the bowl clamp. Don't tighten it too much or you will deform the top and it will not seal on the bowl.

I had hoped the AC fuel pump catalogue in the car club library might give more information. It was a 1960 edition and didn't even reference Marmon. It gave my 1930 pump number but the listing of parts making up each pump did not cover any before 856000. So the arm you have, 5051, may be correct and may not be. It may be the reason the old pump was damaged and you have to put a spacer under the replacement, i.e. it is too big.

Spinney:  I don't know why we ended up having to use a spacer on the replacement pump.  The 855644 pump didn't use a spacer.  My mechanic invites his customers to grab a wrench and become involved with the work on our their cars.  Although I've taken advantage of this from my first visit, I was not there for the fuel pump repair.

The arm appears to be the one factor that has to be absolutely on the money for it to fit properly. I'll start checking with some of the vintage auto parts stores.  If they don't have it, they may have the numbers.

Curti: Thanks for the heads up on the EBAY fuel pump.  I'm going to look at it closely. 

ricosan

I haven't had any luck with the vintage/antique car parts people.  They didn't have a 855644  but offered to build one.  Don't know where they would get the arm.

I looked at the 1929 - 1952 AC rebuilt fuel pumps offered for $14.95 on EBAY.  I wrote to the seller.  That particular one didn't offer anything on the Marmon.

I'm waiting to hear back from the seller of  a 1929 -1948  AC fuel pump catalog.

Thanks for the help.

ricosan

• 7 months later...
On 16/09/2016 at 1:57 AM, ricosan said:

I haven't had any luck with the vintage/antique car parts people.  They didn't have a 855644  but offered to build one.  Don't know where they would get the arm.

Where did you get to on this?

Just wondering, if you have an adapter on (i.e. a thick gasket) under the pump, maybe the arm stroke is too short and it doesn't pump enough.

I have looked at many rebuild kits at various locations on the www. Pretty much none of them offer the arm. The main items needed are the diaphragm for your ethanol fuel and perhaps the one way valves and gasket (I make my own gaskets).

The pump you showed looks like one that fits several makes, apart from the arm. I think the top is 855261, fuel straight in-straight out? Studebaker used that top, amoung others. That Model B base has top-bottom holding screws on each side of the number pad at the top of the mounting flange; the other variety has one in the middle of that number pad. So if you can find a good Model B bottom and an 855261 top (keep an eye on EBay?) and your original arm, you should be good to go. And it will look right to boot.

• 2 years later...
15 hours ago, Clane422 said:

I know this is probaly a dead thread but do you still need tgis fuel pump i have a nos one.

Send a P.M. @ricosanlast visited on July 5 (hover over his userid to see this). The envelope  in that popup is a PM as is the envelope at the top right of the page.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hey All, I ran across this post while researching the fuel pump that came off my 32 Plymouth PB, from what I can understand that it's a "B" type.

The United motors book in the 1934 Plymouth parts book doesn't list a type B for the PB. The number in the book is 1521200 which is described as a type "P" which I've been told that this changes up to an AC 450 type. Looking at the pictures in the parts book there is a difference in the lower housings and arm.

My question is, did the 1521200... AC450 supersede to the "B" type. 

TIA 

Dave

STAY SAFE! 

fuel pump side.jpg

fuel pump top marked.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...