Master cylinder in 1938 1/2 ton pickup

this_is_greg

In checking my old Wagner brake buyers guide the unit for your application is a Wagner no, F544 which has an 11/4 bore and 3/8-NPT threaded ports. The casting number is E543. No casting or part number E544 shows up. The unit you have looks very much like the F544 except it does not have the bolt on top cover plate. It may be an aftermarket part. At the time, all make units carried the same casting numbers which could be crossed to different name brands like Bendix, United and the like. Cylinders usually never had part numbers stamped on them, only the casting numbers. I can't find any reference to the unit you have in this book which dates from 1991 but covers about 5 or more previous decades.

Thanks for the info jpage. This was my grandfather-in-law's truck. It was parked in 1972. I just assumed it was the original so I had it rebuilt. After the rebuild I dug through the service manual and found the image of what it should look like, this one did not match the manual.

I will be finishing the install today.

As long as it works I'd keep it too. It looks very similar and most folks would never know if it's correct or not. There's a man in our area who purchased a '38 Plymouth truck from an estate in New York that is still all original and is still on the road. However, sometime in it's life as an estate work truck the box was replaced with a wooded stake bed. We also have another local guy who found an all original '40 Plymouth truck that he drives everywhere! They are both in pretty good shape for being work trucks. This era is one of the best for truck design I think.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have a 35 Plymouth coupe with the exact master cylinder. I do not believe it's original or is listed as a replacement unit for my car; however, it has worked for over 38 years that I've had the car. I rebuilt it in 99. The reason I'm responding is that I did a brake job on all units and have had a bugger of a time getting the brakes bled, so I rigged up a bug sprayer tank ( new one of course) and sort of pressure bled the brakes and is now much better, but still isn't what I think it should be. I had to use a 1.5" pvc fitting and the threads are course, so it wasn't a great seal. I want to find another filler cap so I can drill out and put in a fitting for a 100% fit and re-bleed the system. But can't find a replacement cap, and don't want to mess up the one I've got. Any ideas.

saturation,

I don't think the caps are available as a separate part, so I would just purchase another master cylinder,

adapt that new cap to be used with your bleeder and your installed master cylinder, and save the new 

master cylinder for future use.

Guest 1935 Dodge Van

As already mentioned,all those master cylinders in those years had a top plate with,I believe,6 bolts holding it down. The filler was originally a tall vent thing with a drooping vent cover. Not many trucks or cars still have them in place.