Pre-Delivery inspection of 1940 Super 8, 160, 1803 Sedan

I have just put a deposit on the subject vehicle. This is the first classic I have owned. <P>I will actually see the vehicle in person for the first time this Friday.<P>Any advice on performing a pre-acceptance inspection would be greatly appreciated. General inspection criteria as well as components that are prone to problems on the 1940 would be very helpful.<P>Also, any unique test that should be performed during the actual driving test.<P>Thanks in advance.<BR>tao@bellsouth.net

Tao-<P>At this late date, your time to prepare is limited. The preparation of primary concern to you is to be able to verify that the car is true and correct in all aspects. The engine number and all mechanical accessories should be correct for a 1940. The upholstery, instruments, wheels, trim, etc., etc., should all be correct. The type of paint, if verifiable, should be correct. Documentation (like titles, repair receipts and the like), if available, is helpful in determining the car's history, both during its' life as an original and as documentation of the restoration, if such has been conducted. <BR>Your best bet to be able to do this verification yourself is with the aid of manuals and publications. Lacking such a library, you may be able to call on other Packard owners in the Atl area. <P>The additional inspection you'll wish to conduct is the same you'd do for any used car, only more so. Take an old rug and crawl under the car in several areas, just lay there and look around. Look for shoddy repairs, rust, leaks or other signs of trouble. If you have a good jack of your own, lift up the front and check for looseness in the steering gear. Wiggle the steering wheel for play. Wiggle the fan for looseness in the water pump. Is the radiator of original design? Does the engine run smoothly and silently? Do the sychros balk when you shift gears? Do the brakes pull or grab? You get the picture. <P>Inspect thoroughly enough and with a cold heart that you will not be unpleasantly surprised two weeks from now when you find some gross flaw. Don't be afraid to walk away if it doesn't feel right. <P>My hard-earned opinion on old cars is that if I don't buy this one, I'll find one next month that is in better condition and at a lower price. Sometimes I even adhere to that maxim.

Bill has given some excellent, to the point advise on inspection of your future car. If this is your first Packard I would stress finding someone in the Packard Club that lives in the area where the car is located. Most would be happy to help you look it over. It would be invaluable to have a knowledgeable Packard guy to see what's correct on the car and the overall condition. If you want to post the state the car is in someone here might be able to steer you toward some help.

Thanks to all for the excellent advice. Unfortunately, the "deal" fell through last night and I'm back in the market looking again. <P>On the positive side, this will allow more time to learn about these beautiful automobiles before I part with my cash.<BR>Thanks again.