vacuum advance

Guest JT

Here's a question for someone. On the 40 120 Packards with Autolite distributors they did not use any vacuum advance. Packard went back to using vacuum advance in 41 as they had in 39 and prior years. Any theories out there on why Packard or Autolite eliminated the vacuum advance for the 1940 year? I would think there would be a performance difference with a different distributor curve lacking vacuum advance.

Hi Trent :<P>You have just under-scored one of my pet peeves - I have no answer to the question "WHY IN HECK DIDN'T PACKARD INSIST ON VACUUM ADVANCE ON EVERYTHING" ! Sure wish my Twelve had it - I bet it would add 2 - 4 mpg !

Pete, <BR>Yes that is strange the Twelves didn't have it in 38 since it seems everthing else did that year. In 40 the super eights had it but that's all.

Remember in those days the most advanced technology did not immediately go to the premium car. General Motors always ran in a new concept on Oldsmobile before allowing a device that might have possible bugs to be put on the Cadillac. Packard used tried and true on its Senior cars, only installing them when they were proven.