1940s straight 8s

Guest Winston1

Guest Winston1

did Chrysler use the same straight 8 engine throughout the 40s?  I have a 48 New Yorker and someone wants to sell me a 41or 42 straight 8.  Would they be the same?

The eight ended in 1950 for Chrysler.

The 1941-42 eight uses a 2 bolt exhaust header pipe.

1941-42 would  use a Stromberg AAV type two barrel carb where as the 1948 uses a carter 1BBL carter carb + linkage differences

The water pump casting is slightly different. Front of the block is cast different.

The engine will fit but....there will be some problems to make it all work easily.

Late 1947-50 eights are a easy drop in.

I'm speaking of only the engine.. no fluid coupling or bell housing.

For $100 it's a steal IF you can use it. If not, it's an expensive way to clutter up the garage. I'm sure someone somewhere needs one or needs parts off it. I understand certain parts are scarce and hard to obtain for that model. So, even if you can't use it, you could buy it and advertise it for sale and feel good that you saved an irreplaceable motor from the scrap pile. Worst case, you can get $100 for scrap iron. What have you got to lose?

Guest Winston1

Thanks. Wasn't sure how compatible it was.  I don't need it. Was gonna keep for spare. But if it's not easy install. I don't need a huge paperweight laying around.  

1 hour ago, normanpitkin said:

the manifold alone is worth 3 times the price if it isn't cracked!

Make sure if you DO take the manifold off, take it off in one piece. Do not try to separate the exhaust manifold from the intake manifold prior to removing them from the engine.

• Like 1

I've had to drill some of the studs out to release the exhaust manifold from the block.

The manifold mounting stud holes are barely bigger than the block studs and rust locks the manifold to the studs.

If you try to pry the manifold away from the block you will crack it.

The manifolds are a three piece assembly and the end wings are pushed into the larger center assembly when new. Extremely hard to remove the two end wings after years of use.!

I have replaced many cracked 1946-50 Chrysler eight exhaust manifolds over the years and yes they are work big bucks today.

Maybe not as much as a 385ci Chrysler eight manifold!:D