NC pole barn

3 hours ago, old-tank said:

Tough old compressor.  If you need to change the motor a 3-5 hp will be required since the current ratings are "optimistic"... a new 1.5 hp might pump it to 60 psi before thermal shutdown.

Wow!   I thought it'd be the other way around.  Darn thing runs smooth, and is quiet. anyone have a guess on the year of this thing?

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was sitting around the shop drinking beer and solving world problems with some friends.  Shop is dirty and jenky, just how I like it, though soon I'll need a bigger one. Took a few photos...See last one, already built a lean-to for the compressor, lawnmower will go here also.

20170101_150958.jpg

Edited by wndsofchng06
More photos (see edit history)

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 6:30 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

Got a new - to- me air compressor.  it's an old school devibliss and a real work of art.

WP_20161107_20_58_47_Pro.JPG

WP_20161107_20_59_28_Pro.JPG

I have one similar to that and who knows how old.  It has a 3hp motor GE motor that runs on 460volt/ 3phase electric.  Came with the building that my wife and I purchased a number of years ago. The building already had the 460 volt/3ph electrical service

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It's been a fairly dry fall and winter here but now it's steady rained two days straight....Water rolled across my lot, right over the slab into the shop ???? so today, we filled my truck with gravel and installed a drain, dug by hand 1.5ft down, 2ft wide, all along the front of the shop, also dug  a 2ft deep by 2ft wide  ditch about 10ft up- grade to slow some of the water.... urge! Im beat!20170102_145119.jpg

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

I don't see no ditch! :rolleyes::lol:

Is that a new truck I see?

Can't see the ditch from that angle, yes that's my new truck being broken in, about cried when the loader dumped that bucket into the bed!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

So was it like the commercial do you have holes in your aluminum!

nope, no holes! Not even any dents and I hand shoveled the gravel out with a metal spade.  That commercial was well engineered!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No A/C....  I'm fine in the elements.  I need 240 for my compressor and welder.  currently the 120v you see comes from several orange extension cords... HA HA HA!  I have all LED lighting so my draw for that is only 8 amps with all lights on.   Due to the distance, I have to turn the lights off and use my headlamp when using power tools.... :-(  So I will have 90 amps and 240 when all is done.  When it's done, the lighting will be moved to the inverter, powered by a bank of eight 12v batteries on a solar charger. (I like getting light from light) I have a backup switch to move the lights back to 120 when/ if needed.  While tempting to cheat on the depth, since I've already knicked two different 120v lines put in by the previous owner for lights and pool filter, etc (at about 6-8") I will be putting this wire in as correctly as I can.

Run as many amps as you can, at minimum 100,   for possible welder and air compressor use at the same time. You got running water out there? May want to check your code (or not)  but around the farm I have been known to run electrical at 24 and water at 12 in the same ditch. Water pump installers do it all the time.

So it's technically a 100 amp service, but since I am right at the max distance for the cable to carry 100 amps, I'm putting a 90amp main on it.   I could go buy different cable at over triple the price, can't do that.  I won't be running water out there, at least no time soon.  The building is already full to the gills.    If I ran the compressor, welder, lights, and a few other things I still won't kick 90 amps. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Your project really reminds me of the rehabbed chicken coop that my buddy and I restored my GTO in back in the winter of 82/83.   Enough room to store a small boat and work on a car.  We had a nice pot belly stove that would bring the whole place up to about 60 degrees (no insulation) in the dead of winter.  I don't think you have the same cold issues to deal with.

Great times!

• Like 1