1949 chrysler royal woodie for sale

For sale is a 1949 Chrysler Royal woodie wagon, one or 4 or 5 believed to be in existence.  Chrysler built 850 of these wagons in 1949.  Car has mostly fresh white ash

wood on 90% of the body.  Has been newly painted and a nice slat interior roof has been done.  Engine has been rebuilt  starts right up-- new pistons, rings, valves, valve springs

plus a lot more.  It is near the final stages of construction and will be ordering new whitewall tires, rear bumper, and fender chrome.  Attached please find pictures, and my e mail is gregnatale@verizon.net, and I live in RI.  Enjoy

IMG_20160521_120633_147.jpg

IMG_20160510_145539_391.jpg

IMG_20160528_145631_361.jpg

IMG_20160805_142801_838.jpg

IMG_20160805_142810_282.jpg

IMG_20160803_132539_787.jpg

IMG_20140524_111448_463.jpg

• Like 1

732192-8-lg.jpgOne of Just 850 Examples Produced for 1949 Just Two Owners from New Meticulously Restored Rebuilt Original Engine and Fluid Drive Transmission Thoroughly Rebuilt Underpinnings Equipped with Wire Wheels and Period Features Goodguys Fall Del Mar Nationals Award Winner Technical Specs: 251 CID L-Head Inline 6-Cylinder Engine Dual Carter 2-Barrel Downdraft Carburetors 116 BHP at 3,600 RPM 3-Speed Fluid Drive Semi-Automatic Transmission 4-Wheel Hydraulic Drum Brakes Second Series car that made its debut midyear of the '49 season. The Woody Club currently knows the whereabouts of only eight or nine 1949s, many of them residing near the east coast. This is an original Arizona car that was bought in Phoenix and brought to Prescott when the family moved in the 1970s. The first-owner was in the Air Force and used the car to take the family on four-week vacations all over the United States.

shim.gif
Vehicle Overview

Back                                                                                                 This is not my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Price for this car $179,000  I am not asking near that!!!!!!

Make
Chrysler
Model
Royal Woodie Wagon
Model Year
Price (USD)
$179,900   WOW  WOW WOW
shim.gif
Basic Vehicle Specifications

Sorry Matt  just going by the advertised prices for the Chrysler  it is extremely rare and highly collectable and similar one was sold at gooding  auctions for $160,00

and one at House of cars for $179,000  - so I can't be that wrong  motor rebuilt  matching numbers all new interior new wheel wells in rear one owner new white ash wood   slat ceiling  --Now I think I should get more

RM Hammered this one home for 57,750 A few years ago.

1949 Chrysler Royal Station Wagon

Lot # 127 1949 Chrysler Royal Station Wagon; S/N 70051011; Fog Green/Brown faux alligator; Estimate $55,000 - $70,000; Older restoration, 2- condition; Hammered Sold at $52,500 plus commission of 10.00%; Final Price $57,750 -- Three speed, hubcaps, wide trim rings, whitewalls, fog lights, radio, heater, padded dash. Restored some time ago retaining the original upholstery which is sound but has some seam pulls that need attention. Sound paint, chrome and original wood with some revarnishing flaws including sags that could (and should) have been sanded out and a few old water stains at joints. No Reserve. Sold by RM at Meadow Brook in 203 for $51,000 in essentially the same condition in which it was offered here, this is appropriate money for this car in this very good condition.

10 hours ago, gregchrysler said:

Mercer  what can't u understand

IMG_20140524_111443_706.jpg

Greg, you have a lot of car here and some pretty high expectations for what it's worth and a righteous car can bring righteous money.

What you have going on her won't get you 10 grand for the whole car much less 10 off the asking price. Cars that bring the kind of money you're thinking about don't have engine compartments that look to be half painted the same color as the engine, wire harnesses come out before the paint goes on. Inner fenders get the same kind of care as the outer fenders do and the engine compartment gets painted before the engine goes back in. To be a hundred grand car even the stuff under the dash needs to look as good as it did the day it left the factory because the guy that will pay a hundred grand will look to see if it does.

The best body man I know can beat a crumpled fender smooth with a slap file and can't nail 2x4's together without bending the nail. You need to get some help with your wood. I see some lumber yard price labels on the wood slats, the glue that holds these on gets into the wood and that has to come out before the boards go in. I know it's picky little details, but it's those picky little details that will pick thousands of dollars off what you hope to get.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:45 PM, gregchrysler said:

My car is a one owner , 36,000 miles  and I have a copy of build sheet  from Chrysler   names of people that built this car plus a lot more  wiring diagrams chassis specs

One owner means that YOU bought the car new.

If I had that history on any car I would value it highly as well.

How long did you drive it before you began your restoration? Not miles as they are low, but in years?

I would like to quote most of the responses that had remarks about the car in question, but I don't know if you can have multiple quotes in one reply. As you read this reply, you'll know to whom I am referring.

In another thread, a comment was made about noise or something coming from the cheap seats. Does that hold true here? What gives any of you the right to criticize a posting price? Are you all "experts" in determining car values? Have you never been wrong in your pricing? Are you mad at this guy as someone stated in the '63 409 thread? You jumped all over me for the comments I made on what I believed was an overpriced project, but it's ok to make fun of this guy, his car, & his ideas on value? Sounds rather two faced & full of double standard. I am guilty of making comments on this thread also. I deleted mine & told Greg why. Will you guys follow suit? I deleted my replies in the 409 thread, but no one followed suit there either. 

If we are going to continue to make comments on cars for sale, including snide remarks & belittling the seller and/or his car, then you may want to be absolutely sure about posting something for sale in the future - I'll be watching & waiting.

Finally, I am curious about what that 409 sold for, but I thought it possibly unethical to ask. I wondered how close to asking price the car went for to see if I was way off base. Now I'm not so sure about ethics after reading the replies in this thread.

What you did to this guy in this thread is a good way to drive people away from this site, the AACA, & maybe old cars in general.

Have a nice day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

I would like to quote most of the responses that had remarks about the car in question, but I don't know if you can have multiple quotes in one reply. As you read this reply, you'll know to whom I am referring.

In another thread, a comment was made about noise or something coming from the cheap seats. Does that hold true here? What gives any of you the right to criticize a posting price? Are you all "experts" in determining car values? Have you never been wrong in your pricing? Are you mad at this guy as someone stated in the '63 409 thread? You jumped all over me for the comments I made on what I believed was an overpriced project, but it's ok to make fun of this guy, his car, & his ideas on value? Sounds rather two faced & full of double standard. I am guilty of making comments on this thread also. I deleted mine & told Greg why. Will you guys follow suit? I deleted my replies in the 409 thread, but no one followed suit there either. 

If we are going to continue to make comments on cars for sale, including snide remarks & belittling the seller and/or his car, then you may want to be absolutely sure about posting something for sale in the future - I'll be watching & waiting.

Finally, I am curious about what that 409 sold for, but I thought it possibly unethical to ask. I wondered how close to asking price the car went for to see if I was way off base. Now I'm not so sure about ethics after reading the replies in this thread.

What you did to this guy in this thread is a good way to drive people away from this site, the AACA, & maybe old cars in general.

Have a nice day!

Very well put. I have never knocked a guy down that I know of in my comments. You can't do this on EBay, CL, Hemmings etc. In my opinion, people are disrespectful that knock a guys ad. It's not COOL. But what do I know? I'm in the business Like Matt selling cars and parts. But Matt has Nicer products. I was surprised to see others that I respect chiming in on the negative side unless I was reading it wrong. This guy that I know of has not done this to others. If he has, shame on him. Just PM the seller if you think that something will help with the sale. 

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I believe in another thread the original poster asked about pricing on this particular car.   By doing so I think it is only fair to show them what may or may not affect the value of the car.  Especially if it's things pointed out that can be addressed to enhance the value of the car.  I felt we have been as kind as possible compared to the first guy that shows up to buy it with $100,000 burning a hole in his pocket.

I know how much guys have picked apart every little flaw in a $5000 car I am selling.  I can only imagine how much they will scrutinize a $100,000  car.   They will more than likely be experts in this marque and will know whether that tiny screw that holds that little bracket under the dash that no one can see is a slotted or phillips head, whether is cadmium, Chrome or raw steel and whether a star washer, lock washer or self locking nut was used. 

You can't beat the price of free advice from fairly well vetted sources.  

Take it how you want, but don't say we didn't try. 

• Like 1

Your words in the first 2 lines directly below Auburn:

"You can't beat the price of free advice from fairly well vetted sources.  

Take it how you want, but don't say we didn't try. "

You & your buddies "advice" quoted in the 6 lines directly below:

“You're trolling us, right? This is a joke?”

“I'm biting my tongue on this one but I've bitten it about clean through.   I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.”

“I'm definitely going with joke now. Definitely.”

“This is a joke fellas. He is trolling, and you swallowed the hook, line and sinker.”

“Well if we pull hard enough maybe we can break the leader and swim away free.” 

“I'm only a guppy! he got me................. good job!”

Tell me, what the hell kind of "advice" is it you guys are giving in those lines? You people are quick to jump on someone making a comment that you may dislike on one of your cars, but then it's ok to put the bs above on someone elses? As I stated in my earlier post, and I quote, "If we are going to continue to make comments on cars for sale, including snide remarks & belittling the seller and/or his car, then you may want to be absolutely sure about posting something for sale in the future - I'll be watching & waiting." You guys pi__ me off with your double standards.

The OP asked us what his car is worth in another post then questions when we try to politely as possible point out glaring issues that even the most junior member in the hobby would question as to any kind of authenticity, which is what after all brings top dollar on a car such as this.  (we are not talking about a mid 60's Volkswagen bug here.) The restoration needs to follow a high standard to result in the value the OP claims.   Materials and techniques just as those used in the original production resulting in the proper overall finish need to be strictly followed.   If you are building a car for yourself do it your way.  If you are building a "rare" car for resale it better be right or priced according to what it will take to make it right. 

See the 1941 Olds woody thread if you need more insight into this subject. 

• Like 1

I have wanted to chime in and now I will. 

The car in question is NOT a finished car and obviously has several things that are wrong to the naked eye in the pictures posted.  How many other things are incorrect or purposefully hidden?  

The car is also NOT finished.  Finishing out a car to completion is where the BIG dollars accumulate.

This gentleman can ask whatever he wants for the car, but cannot expect to receive applauses and offers for a car that is not finished, and a drawn from a hat value based on a discount for not being finished out.

Based on REAL sales, NOT asking prices, what he is asking for the car is out of line with those values. Thus, the comments and criticism.  But, to top it off, OP lashes back at commenters over criticism.  

To each his own, but mostof the  posters on this thread help others that come here 99% of the time. Anyone tends to become offensive when you are asked your opinion and then told you don't know what you are talking about.

My $.10.  Off the soapbox

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 8/12/2016 at 2:25 PM, gregchrysler said:

...and one at House of cars for $179,000... 

Your car should be beautiful when it's complete.

Note that sometimes there's a huge difference between

asking prices and selling prices.  It's not uncommon

for an antique-car dealer to ASK double what he just paid,

or double a car's value.  I can't speak for yours, however.

I'm not selling this car as a concours de elegance, not that it couldn't be, but as a respectable very rare, collectable. Sure it has it's flaws but it has a lot of good points

Thanks for the encouragement  from some of  the members.  I have worked on this car for 4 years, in the snow, 100 degree temp,  blizzards etc  trying to get the wood to be meticulous .  I have cut some of the white ash  wood 5 to 10 times to get it perfect, predrilled the wood to nail it because a nail will bend going through the white ash hardwood.  I also sanded the wood to conform to special shapes around the doors.  I think it will be an honest  not perfect auto that someone with class will appreciate.  I have learned a lot about car building and it is really hard, and involves planning, engineering, and mechanical ability.  I know that I am not perfect and I do want criticism to help me not stupid remarks like "troll" hhok line and sinker"  .  Lets be respectable and help one another, not condemn and belittle.  I welcome constructive critism.

This is what I started with

IMAG0402.jpg

IMAG0405.jpg

IMG_20130419_103027_501.jpg

IMG_20130418_110353_281.jpg

IMG_20130418_140559_502.jpg

IMG_20130429_135919_310.jpg

IMG_20130419_103027_501.jpg

IMG_20130517_124912_644.jpg