Lets talk about 348 409 stuff-1958 to 1965

On 8/11/2016 at 1:37 PM, George Smolinski said:

Country,

In the '63 409 thread, I think you said Chevy even offered the SS in '61 in a 4 door. That was discussed some time ago on CT. As I recall, the result was that although it may have been possible to get a 4 door SS, none, nor any proof of one have ever surfaced.

On another note, there was/is a very long thread on the discovery of & resto of a real '64 wagon with 409/425hp four speed.

And on another note, when my brother & I were in high school in the mid to late 60's, we'd go looking at & buying cars on weekends. We looked at a '62 SS 409 w/4 speed, but walked away from it as soon as we walked around it. Reason was it was what we called old man gold paint.

And finally, we also looked at a his & hers pair of '62 SS's in 1968. Both red/red. His was the 409 4 speed & hers was the 327 w/PG. We couldn't scrape up the $8500 for the pair.

I'm also curious as to what that '63 409 sold for, but I'm afraid to ask & it may not be ethical in some people's eyes. So I guess I won't.

In 68, that was a lot of money for those cars. You couldn't give them away during that period. The Camaros and Mustangs along with the Chevelles and Cudas took over the market. They were under a 1000 dollars all day long in Detroit. I know because I bought my 65 SS convertible for 400.00 in 68. It had a 409-400 4 speed and had 20,000 miles on it. In 79, bought this SD 62 Pontiac for 8000. and in Miami FL in 76, there was a 68-69 L88 Vette for 6500.00. I told the guy that he was nuts! Boy! I went wrong on that one. in 75, I bought this 63 that was an Oklahoma car for 800.00 and the black 62 for 500 in 79.

20140922_122318.jpg

unnamed (14).jpg

#1 (1).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here is one to ponder.

When I was buying all the 09s that I could get my hands on in early 1980s, this lady says that she has a 62 Chev with a 09 that she bought brand new. Just come and get it.  So I take my trailer because she said that it has not been moved in 10 plus years and has 4 flat tires and rotted out. This is taking place in Detroit.I get to her house and she leads me to her backyard and I see that its a 4 dr. I'm thinking to myself that this is a small block car or an early 62 that somehow a 348 got stuffed in it. The fenders have the 409 numbers and pop the hood, sure enough, it has a 09 with the dip stick on the pass side. NOW, I'm really scratching my head because it has a cast intake with the single carb and the chrome package. I get it home and started tearing into it. The car production date was in Aug of 62. The engine was dated in Aug also and it has an aluminum glide. Has the Rochester carb with a return fuel line to the gas tank. It's like someone took a 63 drivetrain and installed it into a 62.

Even had the correct rad with the shroud along with the wider ground straps that go from the engine to the firewall. The fuel line was also 3/8 like the 409-409-380HP had used. No idler pulley because it had power steering and brakes. Also had dual exhaust. Needless to say that it was a great parts car. This was a legit 409 340 with a power glide Impala. So I called the later and ask if she knew the history of the car? She said that her dad, ( an engineer at the Chev tech center) had ordered the car. Her dad had passed away and then I called my dad to look at the car since he was heavy into the 09s. He thinks that the car a prototype that they were trying the 340 HP for drivability reasons and some got sold. Usually, those cars got crushed and they would have a bunch of holes from all the test equipment that they would run. This car got through the cracks somehow. Remember, this is Detroit!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Not photoshopped!

2.jpg

Did you know they actually offered a 2 door sedan in the topline Impala series for that year only?  I wonder if even it was available as an SS, and if so, how many?

Craig

I am a little younger then some of you guys and more of a product of the 70's The photos below are of my 62 409/409 (late car 07B and the car had the 425HP service package on it) I bought the car while in high school in 1974 and still have it today. My father was into cars and had Model A's and T's when I was growing up. I needed a car and he would always find clean used cars for sale. He found this car in the Bronx, it had 24,000 miles on it and cost me $250 for an 11 year old car that WAS BAD ON GAS! Nobody wanted them. I used the car for a few years, even chased the Grateful Dead up and down the east coast in 74 and 76 (no tour in 75) those were the days. I kept the car all of these years and it always was the next car to do, now it has become another shelf The last time I drove it was 1985. The unexpected restoration of my 60, post #19 might change the plans for this car. Now I am debating just putting it back together (I put the heater delete on the car when I came upon one years ago)

001.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Did you know they actually offered a 2 door sedan in the topline Impala series for that year only?  I wonder if even it was available as an SS, and if so, how many?

Craig

The Super Sport option, RPO 240 was available in 1961 on any Impala model except the station wagen. 

4 hours ago, John348 said:

I am a little younger then some of you guys and more of a product of the 70's The photos below are of my 62 409/409 (late car 07B and the car had the 425HP service package on it) I bought the car while in high school in 1974 and still have it today. My father was into cars and had Model A's and T's when I was growing up. I needed a car and he would always find clean used cars for sale. He found this car in the Bronx, it had 24,000 miles on it and cost me $250 for an 11 year old car that WAS BAD ON GAS! Nobody wanted them. I used the car for a few years, even chased the Grateful Dead up and down the east coast in 74 and 76 (no tour in 75) those were the days. I kept the car all of these years and it always was the next car to do, now it has become another shelf The last time I drove it was 1985. The unexpected restoration of my 60, post #19 might change the plans for this car. Now I am debating just putting it back together (I put the heater delete on the car when I came upon one years ago)

001.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

What a neat story. I wish that I had enough brains back then to keep the 65 and the 62. When I got back from Nam I started toying with the mid 60s Corvettes. I have a radio block off plate ftom one of my projects. It was in the 62 4 dr 09 that I bought back then.

I really did not buy it for the 409 factor, I could have cared less at the time, I just liked the looks of the 62's, that car like most NYC cars at that time were garage kept low mile cars. There was a big hitch on the back so I think that was it's main purpose. There was no need to know the history of the car it was a 12 year old used car with low miles. If it were a 235 powerglide it would still be in the corner of my garage, FYI I took those pictures yesterday afternoon

From my 409 post on FB. Love these stories that the Ws are out in the wild.

Picked up this 348 for $600.00. "GD" coded 1959 engine(305 horsepower). First time running in 41 years. I am very happy.        https://www.facebook.com/scott.briscoe.161/videos/611708089035280/                                                                 

2016-08-12 11_01_44-(1) Scott Briscoe - Picked up this 348 for $600.00. _GD_ coded 1959....png

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:07 PM, countrytravler said:

From my 409 post on FB. Love these stories that the Ws are out in the wild.

Picked up this 348 for $600.00. "GD" coded 1959 engine(305 horsepower). First time running in 41 years. I am very happy.        https://www.facebook.com/scott.briscoe.161/videos/611708089035280/                                                                 

2016-08-12 11_01_44-(1) Scott Briscoe - Picked up this 348 for $600.00. _GD_ coded 1959....png

305 HP? I don't know about that breather pipe on 305 I have only seen those tall oil fill pipes on big trucks and school bus 348's

12 minutes ago, John348 said:

305 HP? I don't know about that breather pipe on 305 I have only seen those tall oil fill pipes on big trucks and school bus 348's

GD 1959-61 Pass. Car 305HP 348 V8 4 bbl., Powerglide, High perf. solid cam

That is strange. Could have been a transplant from a car to a truck and a 348 truck starts with a T

Thanks for sharing the code, and I am well aware of them. The other thing I recall reading somewhere that the 305's were specific to Police Vehicles, even though they were listed as an RPO. The breather pipe in the photo you provided is for a truck, a big truck at that. Also truck engines were different colors then passenger  cars, those gray valve covers are barking truck to me. I know from 1960 up the truck 348's were gray

I did not see the pad so I really don't know what it says.

It seems like to me every tri=power car now the owner claims it is a 335 or a 350 HP just because they put on 21/2" manifolds, Almost every supposed hi horse tri power car I had seen is missing the key piece unique to those cars,,,,, the bell housing

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

12-28-07 04:05 AM - Post#1328615     

9 year old thread. Sound like a rare car.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/178113/

Need some tech advice and/or someone who knows about early Chevy Station Wagons. 

My buddy and I have recovered a mostly complete 62 Bel Air wagon 6 Pass. with the 409 2x4, original 4 spd car, less tranny, with a siren and a large set of radio transmitters in the rear of the car. I would like to hear some thoughts about this car and would like to find someone knowledgeable about these special cars. Car is mostly complete and will need a total restoration. Has what appears to be a factory mounted tach, (7K) on the column.

Currently researching all of the numbers and seems to be a numbers correct car. I will post photo's soon as I am waiting for the paper work to finalize and will do so soon. 

The car will need to be completely restored as it has been sitting since the late 60's.

Contact information and thoughts would be appreciated.
Mike 

Hey Dave,

This thread has no focus, it is all over the place, a subject gets touched and then you just go in a random direction, sorry  but this conversation is not for me, if we were in a parking lot I would walk away, so I am walking away now

By the way not that it is going to matter, but the cowl tag on your buddy's wagon if it were police or fire dept. use the cowl tag will say under paint and trim    SPL

FYI also the 305 HP that you started the conversation (but went somewhere else) had a WCFB on it, 305 HP motors had AFB's,

See ya..

John the one interesting correct item was the old Daytona Marine Turbo motor.  Only have seen one other of them down in FLA.  They were the conversion of choice in the old original offshore racing days!  Wouldn't it be neat if that one was in Arronow's "Donzi Baby"!  Anyone have a cast set of marine valve covers and a cast oil pan from an old marine high performance conversion.

Robert

Edited by Robert Street (see edit history)

8 hours ago, countrytravler said:

12-28-07 04:05 AM - Post#1328615     

9 year old thread. Sound like a rare car.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/178113/

Need some tech advice and/or someone who knows about early Chevy Station Wagons. 

My buddy and I have recovered a mostly complete 62 Bel Air wagon 6 Pass. with the 409 2x4, original 4 spd car, less tranny, with a siren and a large set of radio transmitters in the rear of the car. I would like to hear some thoughts about this car and would like to find someone knowledgeable about these special cars. Car is mostly complete and will need a total restoration. Has what appears to be a factory mounted tach, (7K) on the column.

Currently researching all of the numbers and seems to be a numbers correct car. I will post photo's soon as I am waiting for the paper work to finalize and will do so soon. 

The car will need to be completely restored as it has been sitting since the late 60's.

Contact information and thoughts would be appreciated.
Mike 

This car could be an original 409/409 car as the engine could have been installed as ordered.  The tach could have also come with it as ordered.  The under hood detail photos, tunnel detail photos and the firewall tag photos would help prove the case along with steering column detail photos.  I Believe the car was in a larger city fire service if it does check out.  Those radios would have been installed by Motorola or GE.

Robert

Edited by Robert Street (see edit history)

8 hours ago, John348 said:

Hey Dave,

This thread has no focus, it is all over the place, a subject gets touched and then you just go in a random direction, sorry  but this conversation is not for me, if we were in a parking lot I would walk away, so I am walking away now

By the way not that it is going to matter, but the cowl tag on your buddy's wagon if it were police or fire dept. use the cowl tag will say under paint and trim    SPL

FYI also the 305 HP that you started the conversation (but went somewhere else) had a WCFB on it, 305 HP motors had AFB's,

See ya..

John 

The intentions are to bring the W to the public. I was talking about the W on Matts post that he was selling the 63 and you and another suggested that we start a new post. SO! I started a new post and was not aware that it had to have a focus. The heading reads (Let's talk about the 348 and 409s. So that, in my opinion, leaves the subject wide open for discussion about the W. No rules or regulations. Just keep it clean and civil. A lot of people never seen one besides owning one or have driven one. Good luck with your venture and thanks for the ride

Can't satisfy everyone. And on another note, not my buddy with the wagon. I stumbled across it while looking for info for a customer. I find it hard to believe that the service sector would use the 409 as a power plant because they only came with 3 pedals. They had their hands full as it was. Plus these engines had to be worked on constantly compare to a small block. Then to have a fire station wagon with the 09. And on the 305, lot of things do get changed over time. 

Have a good Sunday

Dave

• Like 1

Be interesting to hear more about the marine 409. The one with the Turbo charger was in Larson shop for rebuild. Be interesting to find out if they were used in the industrial sector. My dad had a friend with a car hauler that had an 09, 5 speed with a 2 speed rear end. Cool stuff even if I lost direction.LOL

• 2 months later...