For Sale - California Top ~ 1920

Guest louismazz

Guest louismazz

Antique car top. Was informed by someone much more knowledgable that it's commonly referred to as a California top.  We found it on the second floor of our carriage house we recently restored. Guessing it's about 100 years old. Includes 4 doors with glass and two side windows, and the backing for the rear, all shown in the pictures. I think this could certainly be restored and used again, all things considered, it's in pretty good shape. There is an interior dome light if that helps, not sure how it would be powered. Measures 105" long x 57" wide x 31" tall. I have it listed at $1500 because that was a price suggested to me.  I am open to offers and any information you could provide me. Please reply, call or text with questions. I am located in Northern KY, 5 minutes from Cincinnati.  This would have to be picked up, it’s very large.  Thanks for reading.  Louis, 513-673-4472. 

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

You're right that it is a "California top."

In that era, when most people had open touring cars

and closed cars were considerably more expensive,

a California top was a way to replace the cloth top of

the touring car and make it more like a closed car.

Cars of the 'Teens and 'Twenties, the era that would

take such a top, are not the most popular among collectors

today.  They are not as often being restored.  But

such a top is a part of history and should be preserved.

If you don't sell it, maybe it will make a nice "antique"

display and conversation piece for your carriage house.

But I hope you'll find someone who can use it at some price. 

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Guest louismazz

Thanks for the addtional information, very helpful.  I also posted this in the Horseless Carriage Club forum last night.  I am going to get the flashlight out and see if I can find any makers marks on it today.  If I can't find the right buyer, to John's point, it will just stay in it's long time 'home'.  

I sent you a text asking a couple of questions.  The chances of finding out what car this went on are slim, but someone might identify.  This is a case of rare, but very few people want a fixed top on an open car, so they aren't saved nor much sought after. 

All that said, this is a neat piece, with the side pieces and all, and it should be saved, and I appreciate the fact that you'll just "let it continue to slumber" so to speak....

• Like 1

Guest louismazz

Thanks for coming by today Jan, really nice to meet you.  Anyone know how to get a hold of this Jay Leno fellow?

And thanks to all of you for the information and thoughts, it'll be interesting to see where this things end up, if it ever leaves;)

Edited by louismazz (see edit history)

I have seen documentation that wealthy automobile owners that had a chauffer driven open car had a permanent type top enclosure fitted to the same body. Having a carriage house with a hoist they would make a seasonal change from open to closed and store the top not used.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2016 at 5:33 PM, louismazz said:

Anyone know how to get a hold of this Jay Leno fellow?

There are hundreds, or thousands, of car hobbyists

with large collections.  Just because one person like Leno

is well-known from his TV job, please don't assume he's

a catch-all that will buy everyone's stuff.

Looking at his collection through his videos, I don't see a "barn-find"

or "rustic" theme to it, so you might advertise it more widely,

and even someone with a 3-car barn might want your top!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Guest louismazz

Dibarlaw - That makes a lot of sense.  There is a large door on the second floor, but no stairs to it.  Makes sense there would have been a hoist then to get the tops up and down from the second floor.  Thanks for the additional info.  I can't find any makers marks on it, but will try to get measurements on the door and posts.

On 8/13/2016 at 5:21 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

There are hundreds, or thousands, of car hobbyists

with large collections.  Just because one person like Leno

is well-known from his TV job, please don't assume he's

a catch-all that will buy everyone's stuff.

Looking at his collection through his videos, I don't see a "barn-find"

or "rustic" theme to it, so you might advertise it more widely,

and even someone with a 3-car barn might want your top!

I laugh every time somebody brings up Jay Leno as a buyer.  Jay is the current embodiment of the old Bill Harrah rule.  He doesn't have to pay retail for anything because most people are thrilled to tell their friends and family they sold something to Jay Leno.   In fact, I doubt he pays wholesale either.   You might be able to give him the top, maybe.  But I doubt it.

Guest louismazz

The Jay Leno bit was indeed a joke, the punchline being that I had never heard of him and thought he was just your average joe antique car collector.  I'll make sure to avoid jokes moving forward.  In all seriousness, thank you all again for your knowledge and kind attitude toward me and my old car top.  

I've had two California tops.  One was a 20 reo touring, and the other was a large roadster of unknown make.  Both were made by Rex, and both had the makers tag inside, above the windshield at center.

The huge difference in yours, is Rex was made to use the entire original W/S posts and W/S frames.  Yours is made to replace the original posts, and fit into the same post holes.  Very unusual IMO

If I had a car with that top you have, I'd find it much more desirable than a ho-hum touring.  Has anyone looked to see if the Studebaker Duplex is like that?  I suppose not, but worth a look.

Guest donkey don

Hey guys.  Jay Leno here.  Cool California top.  Hope it goes to a good home here in the USA.  I've noticed a lot of interest in these from foreign buyers lately.