Also , if you are considering a '29 , scroll down to near the bottom of the 2nd page of this Buy/Sell (maybe near the top or the 3rd page by the time you see this). There is a beautiful 1929 Pierce Arrow 133 Club Brougham 2 Door posted by FireballV8.  Please let us know what you find. There are some of us , myself included , who have bought our last car. It is fun to enjoy sharing in some small way , the hunt process of others on the AACA forum. Good luck !  - Carl

• Like 1

I could write pages on the changes and updates made from 29 to 31. Different engines, rear ends, brakes, steering box, shocks, wheels, and almost everything else. Pierce Arrow years and application of parts are fluid and not consistent. It's not hard to get you head around it, it just takes time. Each year they got better. But any Pierce eight is a very good car. Ed

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

To answer John's question, 1932 was the first year for synchromesh in a Pierce. Free wheeling began in 1931, and for that year only the FW was controlled by a push button on the shift knob.

NOTE however, that in the early 1930s Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Company had an official program for low-cost (to owners) upgrades of transmissions of 1929 (3 speed), 1930 (4-speed Clark + a few 1929 3-speeds in Model C), and 1931 (3-speed FW non-synchro) models.  So when examining a 1929-31 Pierce, it is useful to pay attention to markings on the transmissions.  There can be legitimate 1932 synchro transmissions in a 1929, 1930, or 1931.

HI , Vincent , you probably have seen it , but have you seen the '29 that Ed is selling ? I have not seen notification that it is sold , so under DOMESTIC MAKES & MODELS below check it out near the top under Pierce Arrow is the 1929 sedan. It may not be exactly your "cup of tea" , but it sure is mine. If not for the devastation of my life , that car would already be mine. (I do like non-synchro transmissions). Although you are new to AACA forums , you may well have a sense , or know of Ed's expertise. A lot of first class work has been done on that P.A. , and you do say you want a real good driver. Growing old about as gracefully as an 87 year old car ought to be , showing age with grace and dignity. I just wrote , and erased a sentence about a woman about that age I met a couple of years ago .......................  anyway , she and that car have been well kept. Man ! I sure wish I could have that ........................ Enough ! If wishes were Pierce Arrows ,  we'd all have a garage full ! Although you understandably are looking for one a bit newer , what do you think ?  - Carl

Carl, thanks for the nice comments, it is a great car. I didn't comment to him on it as it was out of his timeline and didn't want to be pushy. Thanks, Ed

• 1 month later...

Vincent tells me he is still enjoying the hunt. I hope he is successful , and keeps us in the loop. As I say , some of us can only hunt vicariously at this advanced stage of life.

C.A. : have you got around to "castrating" that "oven" out of your intake ? Should give you noticeably better performance. 

All : What do you do about dropping intake temps on your late 'teens - early '30s cars ? As you know fuel of that period contained significant amounts of very high B.P. components. Kerosene stuff , whose distillation curves show why extreme intake heating was needed to vaporize the foul fluid. Distillation curves of the period show high B.P. components do not even START to fraction off until wellhead or cracked gasoline was FINISHED vaporizing ! Modern gasoline has none of that , therefore heat is a contra-indicated Rx.

That should be a subject for another thread. At least this gives a bump for Vincent in hopes re-vitalization ends up producing ! Maybe Hershey ! Have a great , hopefully dry time , wish I could be there with you !  - Carl