Questions on the judging system.

Guest drnittler

Guest drnittler

I am a long time AACA member, but my first meet will be in Galveston TX in October.  I am trying to figure out how to enter my car; Judging or DPC. The last two AACA magazines has a lot of explanations of my my questions but I still have questions.

For the judging, I understand the point system and deductions. I am a little confused on the policy of needing to fall with in 10 points of the highest entry (In your entered class). What happens to the entry that is 11 or more points away? 
I did read the judging guidelines and using the AACA forms I figured that my car would be a second junior at best. 

Any help in explaining the above, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

A car which scores 11 points lower than the car that won a First Junior in its class would receive a Second Junior. The best way that I can explain it is that there is a 10 point spread that is considered a tie. A car scoring within 10 points wins the same award as the higher point car that it is competing against for an award. 

One thing to remember is that, in most cases, you as the owner are much tougher on your vehicle than the average judge is.  I would take a swing at having it judged, and if it doesn't come up to your expectations, you have 2 choices: You can make improvement where you want, or you can move over to DPC.   I started in DPC because I was not confident of how good my car was.  At the same time, I went to judging schools to learn about what to do to make my cars meet standards.  You will find that, in most cases, if you are losing points it is simple things that can be quickly and simply improved.   Little details like valve caps and hose clamps cost points and are cheap to fix.

Guest drnittler

Thanks for the help, one and all. If I pick DPC or Judging I have to stay with the decision for ten years??

With the ten point spread, is it possible to be bumped out of the competition because of this spread?
Thanks again.

The best advice that I can give you is to find an experienced AACA Judge somewhere near you to take a look at the car and give you his or her advice on which way to go. I have done that for people in my local chapter several times. As  Annie mentioned, If you register it in class judging and it really should be in DPC, the team captain should make the call to the Chief Judge to talk with you and see if you would prefer to have the car moved to DPC for evaluation. I am not quite sure what you mean by "bumped out of the competition because of this spread". If I understand what you are asking, hypothetically, If your car received 389 points and another car in its class received 400 points, your car would receive a Second Junior. If a 389 point car was the highest scoring car in the class, it would receive a First Junior.    

Yes, ten years, but if you start in DPC and decide to restore the car, there is an exception where you notify AACA and return the DPC badge. See section 4.G.6.b of 2016 Guidelines (page 4-31).

Not sure what you mean by "bumped" either, but if you fall below the 10 point spread you would get a second or third Junior.

In terms of being moved from a Judging Class to HPOF or DPC at a meet where you are entered in class judging, the VP of Judging recently reminded team captains that needs to be done in consultant with him. You would be informed. When this process first came out, there were a few owners who may have felt like they were "bumped". But now that the process has been clarified, that should not happen.

Edited by Phillip Cole (see edit history)

Guest drnittler

Thanks one and all for the help.

I wish there was an experienced judge near me. I am in south Texas with no AACA chapters close to me.

Looking at my car I came up with the following information:

The car is a 61 Studebaker Lark, which I kept as original as I could. It would go into class 27 D. I evaluated my car according to AACA guidelines and came up with a score of 336, which would be a second junior at best. (The biggest area where I lose points would be my upholstery which is tastefully done but not original. (The original material is not to be found).

This car is sort of a driver and when I go to some car deals, I drive it because I do not have a trailer or big truck to pull it  (If I go to the Galveston TX meet I need to drive the car which is 358 miles one way) Anyway that is where I am at.

I thought the mail in form and my choice ie DPC or Judging is a final decision when I mail the form.

Again thanks for listening and the help. It is appreciated.

Edited by drnittler (see edit history)

You can change your decision after the card is mail in, but you will have to call the National AACA office to do it.  It sounds like DPC is the best choice for your car based on you description.  Have fun at the show and welcome to your first AACA National Meet.

I'm curious...

Improper upholstery is a mandatory deduction of 10 points. Where are your other 54 points coming from?  Major deductions like radial tires? Dozens of minor flaws? Are you deducting the most points allowed for each item?

I'm not disagreeing with the advice you have received from others in this or your other threads about your Lark. Just curious...

If you show it to be class judged be sure to take factory documentation with you.  Things like original sales literature, factory parts manuals, and maintenance manuals if possible.  If the judges have a question about the originality of anything they will want to see a picture or factory written text for proof of originality.

The 1962 Triumph TR4 I showed for the first time at Hershey last year after completed the restoration has the early style Spa White metal dash board and the judges questioned whether is was original, since they had always seen TR4s with wood dashboards.  I showed them an original sales brochure photo of the dash and they were satisfied it was original.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)